Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My AX8 vs Helix LT Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• I agree on both counts, it’s a great release.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Loving the new firmware - but I had a load of horrific amp feedback at the gig on Friday. Really annoying and hard to control, no idea why. Think I need to lower the dxr10 volume levels and whack the volume up on the ax8...
  • FarleyUK said:
    Loving the new firmware - but I had a load of horrific amp feedback at the gig on Friday. Really annoying and hard to control, no idea why. Think I need to lower the dxr10 volume levels and whack the volume up on the ax8...
    Are you using the gate?
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Random thought : have you got the master volume parameter up high? That’s something I’ve dialled back a bit
    Yep, using the gate. Am only using the JCM800 #34, mv at 7.7.
    Maybe try knocking that back slightly? Just a hunch. 

In real life a hot rodded 800 cranked at volume would likely be the same?
  • On a slightly separate note, has anyone tried a Klone into the Fractal? Any good? It’s that time of the month again, temptation week. Next week I’ll be fine.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    On a slightly separate note, has anyone tried a Klone into the Fractal? Any good? It’s that time of the month again, temptation week. Next week I’ll be fine.
    Not a klone but I do have an Xotic EP boost set up in front of the AX8 which works really well.
    My main guitar has humbuckers and most of my patches are set up using that so I generally use the EP to boost the level if I switch to a single coil guitar during a gig. I also use it as a boost to add some more gain with the humbuckers as it saves having to program a boost into every patch. 
    Given it works as well as it does, I'm sure a klone would too.
  • @Beexter thank you, you looking for an RYRA to use with the AX8, or do you have an analog setup you’ll use it with?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On a slightly separate note, has anyone tried a Klone into the Fractal? Any good? It’s that time of the month again, temptation week. Next week I’ll be fine.
    I have a king of tone in front of mine. 

Barely use use it to be honest but it sounds great when I do and all reacts like it would with a real amp
  • Thanks @peteri , that’s good to know!

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    @Beexter thank you, you looking for an RYRA to use with the AX8, or do you have an analog setup you’ll use it with?
    @Jonathanthomas83, I'd like to try a Klone of some sort (Tumnus or RYRA are top of the wish list) but am in no desperate hurry - it's intrigue more than need. I did have a Soul Food a while back but that's my only Klone experience. 
    If I went down that route, I'd try it with both the AX8 and my analogue rig.
    I've recently been shopping for combos to replace my head/cab setup but nothing has blown me away enough to splurge - I've tried Carr Sportsman, Skylark and Lincoln, Morgan AC20, Bad Cat Black Cat 15, Dr Z Maz 18, Monza and Z Lux but still prefer the sound and versatility of my Mesa Express 5:25+ .Maybe my ears aren't sophisticated enough!

Given all the hype, I want to try a Katana 100 and Blues Cube Artist as I'd be interested to see how they work as an alternative amplification solution for the AX8 compared to my DXR10. 
  • Funny you should mention that, I’ve been thinking about a Katana too. I used to be a tube snob, feel like a dirty cheater nowadays! 

Ha! Me too! In the process of going FRFR thanks to the AX8, the world (or my little bit at least) has changed!
  • peteri said:
    Ha! Me too! In the process of going FRFR thanks to the AX8, the world (or my little bit at least) has changed!
    Won’t go wrong with a Yamaha DXR10 mate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    peteri said:
    Won’t go wrong with a Yamaha DXR10 mate
    Yep, I use two of them. Great speakers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I would love two but don't have the space.

One would definitely fit tho.

I live about five minutes from Yamaha on Wardour Street, over the next few weeks - I'll arrange a demo..

Anyone use FracPad?

I've paid for it (£45!!!!) and I basically cannot set a manual value against anything. Been trying to discuss it with the app creator on their FB page, and he's a bit of an arse, to be honest.

That's interesting - was looking at buying it myself, but was put off by the price.

I thought he came across as a bit difficult on the Fractal forum when he talked about the pricing, just all a bit 'dramatic' for my taste

peteri said:

That's interesting - was looking at buying it myself, but was put off by the price.

I thought he came across as a bit difficult on the Fractal forum when he talked about the pricing, just all a bit 'dramatic' for my taste

Yeah, TBH I wouldn't bother with it - just learn how to use the in-built editor if needed for a gig, and then a laptop / PC for GUI editing with AX8 Edit.

Going to be requesting a refund from Apple, as his response was "You shouldn't update to IOS 11 as it's just apple trying to get you buying a new device".

Er, OK then...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom