Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My AX8 vs Helix LT Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Enjoy! And echo the above. Especially any post from Clarky 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 379
    edited November 2017
    Clarky said:
    @Clarky ;;;

There is a Helix Rack unit as well, but it is 3u, presumably partly due to the big screen

wow.. that's huge..
    yes I reckon it's to squeeze in the screen like to say
    The rear panel I/O wouldn't fit into 2RU either. We tried really hard to fit everything into 2RU (like HD Pro X), but in the end we figured if 3RU is good enough for Kemper Rack (and POD X3 Pro), people won't freak out too hard if Helix Rack is as well.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Yes makes sense.  Here's a picture of the rear for those who haven't seen it

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    @Clarky ;;;

There is a Helix Rack unit as well, but it is 3u, presumably partly due to the big screen

wow.. that's huge..
    yes I reckon it's to squeeze in the screen like to say
    The rear panel I/O wouldn't fit into 2RU either. We tried really hard to fit everything into 2RU (like HD Pro X), but in the end we figured if 3RU is good enough for Kemper Rack (and POD X3 Pro), people won't freak out too hard if Helix Rack is as well.
    I have to say it does look really cool..

I also have a VG-99.. rack mounted it comes up at a massive 5U
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Clarky said:I have to say it does look really cool..

Tell me about it. My JP-8080 is used for *one sound* and takes up 6U. Have spent countless hours trying to recreate it in software to no avail.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • FarleyUK said:
    Incoming AX8 tomorrow and got Friday off to programme and try it out!
    Good stuff - congrats!

I’d highly suggest the Fractal forums (and this thread) to have a read through - there’s a tips and tricks thread on the Fractal forums that is very handy indeed.
    Well its here and it looks quality! What are the chances of getting enough sounds ready for a gig on Saturday night? 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

High I'd say.

Honestly - I'd say start with a blank preset, think about the amp you want and build from there - takes no time at all.

Remember to set the unit up to match what you'll be using at the gig - you FRFR or something else?

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Depends on your current rig, if it's an amp and a fire pedals you'll be ready in 30 minutes, if you have a really complex setup with loads of sounds it'll take a while
    Clarky said:I have to say it does look really cool..

Tell me about it. My JP-8080 is used for *one sound* and takes up 6U. Have spent countless hours trying to recreate it in software to no avail.
    now that really is a major pain in the rear...

FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

I’d highly suggest the Fractal forums (and this thread) to have a read through - there’s a tips and tricks thread on the Fractal forums that is very handy indeed.
    Well its here and it looks quality! What are the chances of getting enough sounds ready for a gig on Saturday night? 
    if you've not got the opportunity to rehearse with it before the gig I'd not use it..
    what sounds great in isolation and what sounds great with the band is not the same...
    you may be inviting agro on yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteri said:

High I'd say.

Honestly - I'd say start with a blank preset, think about the amp you want and build from there - takes no time at all.

Remember to set the unit up to match what you'll be using at the gig - you FRFR or something else?

I'll be going direct to PA with a 10" RCF in front of me to monitor guitar and vocals...
  • Clarky said:

FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

if you've not got the opportunity to rehearse with it before the gig I'd not use it..
    what sounds great in isolation and what sounds great with the band is not the same...
    you may be inviting agro on yourself
    Take your point about rehearsing with it first, although it's in a boozer so I could sound check with it and chicken out if I'm not happy I suppose. I'm really used to going DI over the years so can pretty well estimate what is gonna sound right. Plus I'll be programming through my PA top cabs. . 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

Welcome to the club! First time I used it, it sounded quite harsh at volume. My top tip would be to adjust the hi and low cuts in the cab block. Once I'd done that it was much better. Enjoy!!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8709
    Devin Townsend has just posted his journey to digital on the Fractal forum. It makes interesting reading. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-journey-to-fractal-by-devin-townsend-part-1-2.132432/
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited November 2017
    Roland said:
    Devin Townsend has just posted his journey to digital on the Fractal forum. It makes interesting reading. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-journey-to-fractal-by-devin-townsend-part-1-2.132432/
    Interesting read.

Respect to Devin for making an artistic decision over a financial one:

“I was working with many amp companies, but I have made my choice and have settled on a single Axe Fx 2XL+ for my ENTIRE chain. Out of respect, I will return the gear I have accumulated from other companies so there is hopefully no bad feelings. This tone quest of mine has only ever been rooted in what works best for me and my needs, and obviously may not work for you. It has also not included what may be wise for me business wise, as I have been offered 2 signature amps from companies recently that I have turned down as well in lieu of simply using the Axe Fx.”

Guy is such an incredible musician, not to everyone’s tastes but I think he’s mega. For valentines this year my g/f got us both tickets to see him live, it was awesome...

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited November 2017
    That’s a great story, very similar to many of us, Im sure. Definitely can relate to it myself, was getting sick of touring the world with all that gear.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarfishbay which album should I start with, mate. Sounds good so far!

• @Jonathanthomas83 ;

I'd probably start with the latest one to be honest.

Epicloud has my favourite song on it, Kingdom.  Here's a live version.  The original was recorded with Axe FX, this performance is when he was using Axe FX for effects and Mesa amps again, but this has my favourite version of the vocals on it (he sometimes changes up how he sings it).

Ocean Machine is worth checking out too...  I think that's where the origin of his really delay heavy modulated tone came from (and the name of the pedal he designed with Mooer).  It's relevant to his tone quest.

For a totally different pace check out the Ghost album.  Some lovely acoustic stuff on there.

He was also in Strapping Young Lad which is how I found out about him.  But SYL are a lot heavier than his solo project stuff.  

In short (or not so short) he's a super talented dude!  And very funny live.
  • @guitarfishbay Epicloud was great and I love that new album...been listening to his stuff all day, right up my street, thank you!

• And that live video was epic!!!