Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My AX8 vs Helix LT Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• Beexter said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Incoming AX8 tomorrow and got Friday off to programme and try it out!
    Good stuff - congrats!

I’d highly suggest the Fractal forums (and this thread) to have a read through - there’s a tips and tricks thread on the Fractal forums that is very handy indeed.
    Well its here and it looks quality! What are the chances of getting enough sounds ready for a gig on Saturday night? 
    Welcome to the club! First time I used it, it sounded quite harsh at volume. My top tip would be to adjust the hi and low cuts in the cab block. Once I'd done that it was much better. Enjoy!!
    Thanks! As soon as I started going through the first few presets I knew this was something that would work for me. Totally another league from anything else I've tried for amp modelling. The Ax8 Edit is also a pleasure to use. I've got three presets done with footswitches all assigned and X/Y set up. The only thing left to do is programme my controller for min/max volumes and I'm all set. I'll have to get into the manual for that I suppose...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Which amp models are you using @firepaulmusic ;
  • Clean is Twin Reverb (X) and Deluxe Reverb (Y), crunch is Badger 18 with TS808 and Zen Drive X/Y, OD is Frieman BE. Loads of options with scenes etc. Got my controller to do min/max volumes. I've also set up a 4 cable method patch for with my amp. Very happy bunny!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Glad you're liking it - some weeks after I started this journey, I'm still loving the unit and also really enjoying trying out the amps.

Wish you could have 2 amps models, even if only one were active - but that's super picky and couldn't be happier with the whole thing.

Good luck on the gig!
  • peteri said:
    Glad you're liking it - some weeks after I started this journey, I'm still loving the unit and also really enjoying trying out the amps.

Wish you could have 2 amps models, even if only one were active - but that's super picky and couldn't be happier with the whole thing.

Good luck on the gig!
    I've got two Amps on X/Y so flick between them in the same preset which is pretty cool.
  • peteri said:

Good luck on the gig!
    I've got two Amps on X/Y so flick between them in the same preset which is pretty cool.
  • One thing I didn't expect is how intuitive the Ax8 Edit programme is. In fact it makes the Helix UI seem clunky in comparison. The Helix is easier to programme on the fly though.
    I use x and y all the time on amp blocks. Would love one more tho!

agree on the edit ui. It’s surprisingly easy. 

Just started experimenting with reverbs and delays in parallel rather than series. Works so well and is a different sort of sound. 

And very easy to do. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    peteri said:
    I use x and y all the time on amp blocks. Would love one more tho!
    You need the full fat AxeFX to do that. Two amp blocks, each of which can be XYd
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Yup. But the size of the AX is sooo convenient!

would love a AX8+!
  • Clarky said:

FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

I’d highly suggest the Fractal forums (and this thread) to have a read through - there’s a tips and tricks thread on the Fractal forums that is very handy indeed.
    Well its here and it looks quality! What are the chances of getting enough sounds ready for a gig on Saturday night? 
    if you've not got the opportunity to rehearse with it before the gig I'd not use it..
    what sounds great in isolation and what sounds great with the band is not the same...
    you may be inviting agro on yourself
    Take your point about rehearsing with it first, although it's in a boozer so I could sound check with it and chicken out if I'm not happy I suppose. I'm really used to going DI over the years so can pretty well estimate what is gonna sound right. Plus I'll be programming through my PA top cabs. . 
    You were absolutely right about trying to use the AX8 without trying it w it's the full band first Clarky. Good job I had done a 4-cable method patch so I could revert to my amp. A bit of work to do yet then.....
  • Clarky said:

FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

if you've not got the opportunity to rehearse with it before the gig I'd not use it..
    what sounds great in isolation and what sounds great with the band is not the same...
    Take your point about rehearsing with it first, although it's in a boozer so I could sound check with it and chicken out if I'm not happy I suppose. I'm really used to going DI over the years so can pretty well estimate what is gonna sound right. Plus I'll be programming through my PA top cabs. . 
    You were absolutely right about trying to use the AX8 without trying it w it's the full band first Clarky. Good job I had done a 4-cable method patch so I could revert to my amp. A bit of work to do yet then.....
    What happened?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Clarky said:

FarleyUK said:
    Good stuff - congrats!

What happened?
    Got to the pub, band half set up. I bring the PA so got that set up. Didn't bother bringing my amp in as feeling quite confident with hastily put together AX8 patches. Plugged it into the XR18 digital desk and fired it up expecting the same rich Suhr Badger patch I had going on at home through my PA tops. Instead greeted by an overly edgy sound with way too much gain. No FRFR meant it also sounded a bit empty in front of the band. Need to bring the laptop to the next rehearsal and tweak some sounds with the band...
  • Gutted, though I figured it’d be too good to be true. To be fair though mate, you’ve achieved an awful lot in a week, judging by your previous posts, you’ve done well! We live and learn from these things, fingers crossed an FRFR will help.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    First gig last night with my new (secondary) band; I’m the only guitarist, and it sounded very full (2 Yamaha DXR10’s, one either side of the drummer). However, I spent about 4 hours re-adjusting all the presets at home before hand as I kept clipping. Was using a Friedman BEv2 and the levels on the AX8 display were around the middle (by the line).

Anyone else had issues with clipping? Thought I’d cracked it :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Got to the pub, band half set up. I bring the PA so got that set up. Didn't bother bringing my amp in as feeling quite confident with hastily put together AX8 patches. Plugged it into the XR18 digital desk and fired it up expecting the same rich Suhr Badger patch I had going on at home through my PA tops. Instead greeted by an overly edgy sound with way too much gain. No FRFR meant it also sounded a bit empty in front of the band. Need to bring the laptop to the next rehearsal and tweak some sounds with the band...
    I have had the same experience - also going into an XR18 funnily enough - although I don't think that's the problem. With me it was at a rehearsal with IEMS. I had brilliant sounds at home, but similar to you they were brittle and pretty weedy in comparison to our other guitarists H&K Tubemeister going direct to the mixer. In the end I dialled it out with the EQ on the XR18.

If you look on the Fractal AX8 forum everyone will tell you that the only way to dial it in for live use is at gig volume - and now that we are rehearsing loud at studio, I'm finding that to be true.

First time we played at volume (through the same PA top as I was at home, but much quieter) my tone was too thin, had too much gain and sounded harsh, but after reducing the gain, effect mix and the high & low cut in the cab block it sounds superb.

I'm still experimenting to find the best setup for me. Been using a PA speaker with cab IRs, but going to try using a 2x12 guitar cab and power amp this week. The beauty of the grid is that I can rig both up with the effect loop block and A/B them.

My thinking is if I can get to a place where I'm happy with both then I'm covered for all eventualities at gigs - great sounds going to the PA & great sounding backline.

edited November 2017
    Had the first gig with my 'secondary' band on Saturday; I'm the only guitarist, so have spent a while trying to thicken up the sound and literally used up 6 hours in the day to try and volume level all the presets as they were clipping.

EDIT: Er, just realised I've basically repeated my earlier post. Appears I'm going mad.

Anyway, here's the result - not too bad I don't think! Using the Friedman BE v2 amp, which was a last-minute choice instead of my usual JCM800 #34.

• FarleyUK said:
    Had the first gig with my 'secondary' band on Saturday; I'm the only guitarist, so have spent a while trying to thicken up the sound and literally used up 6 hours in the day to try and volume level all the presets as they were clipping.

Anyway, here's the result - not too bad I don't think! Using the Friedman BE v2 amp, which was a last-minute choice instead of my usual JCM800 #34.

I enjoyed that immensely! Spot on mate. I'm not an AC/DC fan, but I'm going to listen to a few bits now, thanks to that! Great playing indeed.

FarleyUK said:

I enjoyed that immensely! Spot on mate. I'm not an AC/DC fan, but I'm going to listen to a few bits now, thanks to that! Great playing indeed.
    Cheers mate, really appreciate it! Seemed only right to play it in light of Mal's passing :)
  • Absolutely fella, sad day indeed.