Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are real guitar shops the future

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    underdog said:
    As someone mentioned guitar shops need to branch out a bit, offer more things to more people. Still today when I walk into guitar shops they're exactly like they were when I was a teen. The good guitars put out of reach, staff noodling away and being intimidating, they are usually uninviting to all but the most self confident player.

A big property with a guitar shop and complimentary other businesses in it makes sense. A coffee shop, cafe, clothes etc all fitting with the general clientele of a guitar shop. 

A space to offer learners somewhere to try equipment out of site/ear shot, maybe the same space can be used to give lessons, classes on effects etc. They could go and make the whole experience a social event for people. Then people will pay the premium.
    Agreed. Real community hubs offering things the net can't, like rehearsal/performance space, techs and luthiers, workshops, tuition - a hive of complimentary businesses to augment sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11385
    mikem8634 said:
    underdog said:
    As someone mentioned guitar shops need to branch out a bit, offer more things to more people. Still today when I walk into guitar shops they're exactly like they were when I was a teen. The good guitars put out of reach, staff noodling away and being intimidating, they are usually uninviting to all but the most self confident player.

A big property with a guitar shop and complimentary other businesses in it makes sense. A coffee shop, cafe, clothes etc all fitting with the general clientele of a guitar shop. 

A space to offer learners somewhere to try equipment out of site/ear shot, maybe the same space can be used to give lessons, classes on effects etc. They could go and make the whole experience a social event for people. Then people will pay the premium.
    Agreed. Real community hubs offering things the net can't, like rehearsal/performance space, techs and luthiers, workshops, tuition - a hive of complimentary businesses to augment sales.
    That would require a fair amount of space, to be occupied by businesses not making large margins. From a landlord's point of view who would sign the lease? Would the lessee want to be on the hook for all of the rent if some of the peripheral businesses aren't making enough money?

It all boils down to money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    scrumhalf said:

That would require a fair amount of space, to be occupied by businesses not making large margins. From a landlord's point of view who would sign the lease? Would the lessee want to be on the hook for all of the rent if some of the peripheral businesses aren't making enough money?

It certainly does. There is a digital business hub in Sheffield that is my speculative/hypothetical model for this. It relies on local authority support and subsidised/collectivised business rates. Obviously the impetus there is boosting the local economy and in the current climate it is pretty unlikely that a musical version would attract any financial support.

Logic and reason doesn't stop me loving the mad idea though :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited October 2017
    scrumhalf said:
    mikem8634 said:
    underdog said:

Speaking as someone keeping an eye out for property to buy to move my business in to this kind of area, it's really not difficult, someone needs the balls to take the plunge. The rest of the businesses would simply be renting a space off you, the only requirement would be that it's in keeping with the main business.

Imagine it, a decent coffee shop (they make money no matter where they are) Sat in a guitar shop, that also has a clothes shop in it that caters to people below the ages of 30, which could also have a skate shop or cafe/bar with options for small live performances after main shop time, which is would then offer out hours business to the guitar shop etc etc

The guy at the top who took the jump and bought/leased the place would be raking it in if he got it right. The little men are always discouraged from taking risks these days.

If you attract people to your business for one thing, you can sell them the other things. No one caters to people under 30 these days, and if they do it's in a way that's off putting, like the local council decorating the youth club in 80s style graffiti that reads "stay cool" or something equally as terrible.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    rico said:
    Absolutely. I think it's around 90p per hour in Farnham. Can't remember Guildford. If you spend more than £20 your parking is free at Waitrose so you could offer to do the weekly shop in return for splurging on an object of GAS. 

Big brownie points with the Mrs!
    Oh I didn't realise they charged (we don't have waitroe here). I guess if they charge they're happy enough.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    The idea that internet vs shop is a binary choice is outmoded. You search online; find a particular product in a particular website online; go to the shop try and dont like it: rinse and repeat until you find what you want. Did you buy online or in a shop? You might have literally handed over the money in the shop but really the buying experience started whilst you were browsing on your phone whilst taking a dump.....  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom