Calling all lurkers and new members!

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Hey you crazy cats!!

newbie/lurker: joined an aeon ago when I was led here by a gooooogle search for something or other (Skreddy Echo? Who knows.). Forgot all about it, posted nothing till I was trying to shift some gear a month or so ago. And wow! The classifieds are like putting a smackhead in an opium refinery...

Engaged with a few discussions, started a couple of my own, sold a ton of gear, made a fortune, blown it and more on new gear, had a blast, spoken to - and met - some great, knowledgeable and helpful people.

like most things on the net, stay nice and keep off religion and politics.

otherwise, it's great to find a place with a bunch of nutters as passionate - or even more so - about this groovy hobby. And certainly better players!

heres some gratuitous pictures of my favourite guitars this week. Till I sell them. Like a tart.

https://imgur.com/a/jVs1J
    https://imgur.com/a/x33LA
    https://imgur.com/a/xPO5U
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 969
    JerkMoans said:
    Hey you crazy cats!!

newbie/lurker: joined an aeon ago when I was led here by a gooooogle search for something or other (Skreddy Echo? Who knows.). Forgot all about it, posted nothing till I was trying to shift some gear a month or so ago. And wow! The classifieds are like putting a smackhead in an opium refinery...

Engaged with a few discussions, started a couple of my own, sold a ton of gear, made a fortune, blown it and more on new gear, had a blast, spoken to - and met - some great, knowledgeable and helpful people.

like most things on the net, stay nice and keep off religion and politics.

otherwise, it's great to find a place with a bunch of nutters as passionate - or even more so - about this groovy hobby. And certainly better players!

heres some gratuitous pictures of my favourite guitars this week. Till I sell them. Like a tart.

https://imgur.com/a/jVs1J
    https://imgur.com/a/x33LA
    https://imgur.com/a/xPO5U
    if you ever consider selling that lil sister... give me first dibs..!!
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    skaguitar said:
    if you ever consider selling that lil sister... give me first dibs..!!
    I think you're the 3rd fellow to say that today :wink: 

its lovely. Still bonding with it. Best neck I've ever played, but my crappy playing style - resting heel of hand on top of bridge - makes the back pickup wobble so we're having to work through a few issues...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    My lurker status was short-lived as a result of discovering the jam session planned for Leicester almost immediately, so quickly decided to take the plunge and sign up. In my eight months as a member I am yet to start a new discussion, although I have chipped in on a few discussions and had a few PM conversations with members I met at the jam at Quad. To Tony's question, I am not entirely sure why it has taken me so long to get started, as everyone I have interacted with has been so friendly and generous in sharing their insights and perspectives. Plan to break my duck this weekend!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    TTony said:
    How do we define a lurker? 
    Someone who's gone through the process to sign-up, creating a userID and confirming their email ... but never actually posted anything.

I understand those that browse by, and decide that they don't need to sign up (because most of what we have is on public view, so it's accessible to anyone who just wants to read it).  

I don't understand the joiners-who-don't-post, because pretty much the only reason to join is to get the ability to post.

So it'd be really good for a few hundred or so of the joiners-not-posters to explain why they did that!
    It happens on all forums Tony.

Can't understand it personally, if I join a forum I want my say!  :)
  • Been lurking here for a couple of years now, and to be honest I always find something useful within the threads on any given day i visit, particularly user reviews of gear that i may not initially have been interested in etc. Maybe it's my innate nature but i rarely feel the need to add my own comments to threads of interest because whatever i would ask is quite often raised by others here.

I did start one thread about a year ago about forum members experiences of a particular brand of guitars and was a bit surprised that i got over a hundred views and absolutely no responses, and this probably discouraged me from contributing. But i still find myself checking in regularly to see whats going on, and to enjoy the obvious camaraderie that exists amongst the majority here (but if im being honest I'm mainly interested in the wierd and wonderful oddities HarrySeven seems to pick up a daily basis).  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I turned up for the last 18 months of Music Radar and joined straight away for the classifieds. The only forum I've been active on that has ever approached the support and general greatness of here was 18watt.com.

There's a very strong "help your fellow guitarist out" ethos here with a generous helping of humour on the side. I've met a few of you in person and the ethos carries over into reality. I try to swerve what little nasty stuff there is so it's fine. 

Anyway.. I'm very grateful to @TTony and the rest of the mods for the continued existence of this fine platform. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    bluejohnp said:
    absolutely no responses
    surely that can't be right @bluejohnp?
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    bluejohnp said:
    Been lurking here for a couple of years now, and to be honest I always find something useful within the threads on any given day i visit, particularly user reviews of gear that i may not initially have been interested in etc. Maybe it's my innate nature but i rarely feel the need to add my own comments to threads of interest because whatever i would ask is quite often raised by others here.

I did start one thread about a year ago about forum members experiences of a particular brand of guitars and was a bit surprised that i got over a hundred views and absolutely no responses, and this probably discouraged me from contributing. But i still find myself checking in regularly to see whats going on, and to enjoy the obvious camaraderie that exists amongst the majority here (but if im being honest I'm mainly interested in the wierd and wonderful oddities HarrySeven seems to pick up a daily basis).  
    It's about time H7 had some competition - he's been getting away with easy pickings for too long ;)

I'm currently on the hunt for a Harmony H22 bass...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited October 2017
    bluejohnp said:
    I'm mainly interested in the weird and wonderful oddities HarrySeven seems to pick up on a daily basis.  
    You've got it all wrong. H7 doesn't own the wonderful oddities. They own him.

It's about time H7 had some competition - he's been getting away with easy pickings for too long
    I try to compete with H7's selling activity but none of you lot ever buys my stuff. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    bluejohnp said:
    I'm mainly interested in the weird and wonderful oddities HarrySeven seems to pick up on a daily basis.  
    You've got it all wrong. H7 doesn't own the wonderful oddities. They own him.

It's about time H7 had some competition - he's been getting away with easy pickings for too long
    I try to compete with H7's selling activity but none of you lot ever buys my stuff. 
    Well if you'd stop advertising stuff we don't want.. ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    A good way for someone  to introduce themselves to the forum is to post a video of a favorite track or guitar related performance. 
      I did that this morning and i now know that @Wazmeister /@ourmaninthenorth and @Plectrum ;; all have impeccable taste as they all like a song i like.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Why is it fairly common for someone to join the forum and then post exclusively, or almost exclusively, in the Classifieds?
    And why  was that fairly common on the Music Radar forums?

I am sure that you can come up with 2 or 3 possible reasons - right now - why they are not chatting with you about the awesome guitars they searched for (guitars which are now for sale), their GAS, their picks, their amps. their Politics, their Plumbing,  their Musical Heroes.........

.........but I challenge you to come up with a reason that is flattering.

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    edited October 2017
    Guess i am a long time lurker so will raise my hand from above the paraphet and say hi I do comment on occasion but not enough that i would be considered active when compared with others...

I was also a lurker on the old Guitarist forum and Music Radar.. For me contributing to the forum comes and goes in phases. I tend to visit mainly the gear sections, classified and making and modding with a rare trip to the darker corners, the slowly backing out of the darker corners

Not everyone can contribute and some just prefer to lurk, just chipping in once in a while... For me it is having the time what with being in two bands and gaming along with the standard mundane stuff... (one day i may even get time to get my Doomgaze project off the ground)

Anyhoo i play in what could be best described as post punk/ new wave bands, wear black and have a fixation for pastel coloured guitars, especially offsets. Once hater of PRS and S type guitars i have had a PRS Mira for two years now and still find it a joy to play. I am also considering at some point getting an S type, whether it be Fender or PRS EG... That is if i do not find a Fender Cyclone II in the meantime.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2017
    I am mostly a lurker because I have more to learn than to say. Also I made a deliberate decision to stay away from political discussion anywhere on the web to preserve my sanity and my spare time.

I signed up (ages ago) to be able to ask the odd question, to post thanks in 'how-to' threads that have been helpful, and express awe at the skills of many of those active in the making and modding section. I particularly liked the idea of a UK based forum because of the access to local knowledge (about shops and techs for example) and also the difference in tone to US or globally focused places. Access to the classifieds is nice but I'm not a big buyer or seller and it wasn't a reason to sign up.

I can't see me posting extensively but I stop by most days, usually find something enlightening to read,  and will contribute only when I have something useful to say. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @DaevidJ , @NPP - thanks for stopping by!

Sounds to me like you both have loads to contribute. Secretly we don't know that much at all and just make it up as we go along, eh @ICBM? Yeah, okay.. maybe not @ICBM then.. 

Tell you what I'm intrigued by - just how many come by to read - a lot more than I thought!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Hello ladies. I'm Mary, I am 50 years old and I like cheese and daffodils.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Skipped said:
    Why is it fairly common for someone to join the forum and then post exclusively, or almost exclusively, in the Classifieds?
    And why  was that fairly common on the Music Radar forums?

I am sure that you can come up with 2 or 3 possible reasons - right now - why they are not chatting with you about the awesome guitars they searched for (guitars which are now for sale), their GAS, their picks, their amps. their Politics, their Plumbing,  their Musical Heroes.........

.........but I challenge you to come up with a reason that is flattering.

I joined MR to place a single ad. It actually got replied to by PM but I didn’t know they existed so I didn’t read it until maybe a year later. Doh! 
    A lot of the feedback from the Birmingham guitar shows was that this place is interesting because it has free classifieds so it’s an entirely reasonable place for anyone to start. If they never progress beyond that I don’t see a problem as any churn is useful in keeping the place alive and for regular members it helps with sales/ purchases. 

I think TheFB can look cliquey but most similar places do. In reality once you ignore the cliquey in joke stuff and the odd argument the majority of people the majority of the time are posting sensible stuff, it’s just that the odd moment of nastiness is what tends to be most apparent even if it isn’t representative. Having been here since almost the beginning if I’m part of a clique somebody ought to tell me because I have no sense of that whatsoever. 

A while ago ago I placed a couple of ads on JMB and got quite a few responses from people who described themselves very much as lurkers, essentially waiting for something to come along that ticked their boxes, I thought it was a bit odd but they said they just weren’t interested in dealing with what they thought might be the time wasters and the idiots and glad I was doing that ( although nobody really was like that). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BrianCBrianC Frets: 16
    Ok I'm a lurker, did post a while back on the old forums but what with life changing events got put on the back burner. My partner died and things got thrown up in the air. When she was around I had more time to play, trade, comment etc
    I'm getting there but there is always something to do so playing and contributing gets a lot less time.
    I probably have one of the oldest old school pedal boards, still have guitars and some waiting to be assembled but once I have the time this will happen.
    I do check in regularly and post on the classifieds from time to time
    I will try and make more effort in the future