Calling all lurkers and new members!

What's Hot

Comments

• PabloPablo Frets: 38
    For me it's just a personal/confidence thing. There's nothing about the forum that actively discourages me from joining in.

I've had an account for a couple of years, but have always felt I didn't have anything to contribute. It's the jams have got me trying to engage a bit more. Everyone at Leicester/Quad was very welcoming and now I've got my name down to play at Northampton.

I will say to others if you are lurking, the jams are great way to get involved - don't feel you need to know anyone - turn up and say hi - you could even play the guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    I'm pretty much a lurker, although I do tend to visit here and a car related forum most days. I was curious, looking at my stats, on the car forum, joined Nov 2003, so a mere 14 years or so, total of 678 posts in that time. Here, joined April 2014, 59 comments.

For me, I just find a lot of the stuff on here interesting to read. I don't have a forum persona, I behave on forums like I do in real life, somewhat standoffish, reserved, contributing if I think I have something of value to say. Some of that is just how I am, some I think has been shaped by some (crappy) life events that make me question things far more than I probably should.

For some of you here, the whole music world is a major part of your lives, for me, it's a bit of a hobby which I struggle with as I'm not committed to it and like to play when I'm in the mood, a bit like most of the things in my life. I even struggle with the fact that I have a decent amount of gear, certainly way beyond what I can use it for, but I appreciate the things for what they are and when I do actually use them. I love cars, have a weekend toy, but still only play with that when I'm in the mood. My other interest is computing related things which again can be a bit of a niche interest.

Why did I sign up? Someone asked a question that I could offer a response to based on experience, with the thought that maybe I'd have more to say over time. Of course it came with the benefit/curse of using the classifieds, where I've bought far more than I've sold but have advertised a couple of things over time.

So for me it's difficult, I'm not a social animal and often find it difficult to fit in, and right now, I'm even struggling to justify why I'm even bothering to post this as there's no major benefit to anyone to know this. Welcome to my odd twisted world.

For what it's worth, I do enjoy reading what a lot of you have to offer, some amusing, some serious, but a good read nonetheless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    TTony said:
    Oddly enough it was the likes of Clapton, Rea and Knopfler that put me off Strats... My dad loved them so by default i grew to dislike them. These days i am ambivalent about those aritists and am slowly coming round to the idea of buying a Strat ;)
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    @wolsnah looks like you're in more or less exactly the same situation as I am (except that I keep gear acquisition under strict control). What car forum are you on? 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I'm a refugee
      From the FDP
      I don't have a gun
      I joined TFB
      I like cheap guitars
      I like practice amps
      Much better hobby
      Than collecting stamps
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BrianC said:
    Ok I'm a lurker, did post a while back on the old forums but what with life changing events got put on the back burner. My partner died and things got thrown up in the air. When she was around I had more time to play, trade, comment etc
    I'm getting there but there is always something to do so playing and contributing gets a lot less time.
    I probably have one of the oldest old school pedal boards, still have guitars and some waiting to be assembled but once I have the time this will happen.
    I do check in regularly and post on the classifieds from time to time
    I will try and make more effort in the future
    Really sorry for your loss mate
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27561
    wolsnah said:
    I'm even struggling to justify why I'm even bothering to post this as there's no major benefit to anyone to know this. 
    If we hadn't wanted to know @wolsnah we wouldn't have asked
    ;)

So, thanks for taking the time to post, there's never any need to justify anything (luckily, given some of the stuff that gets posted!), and thanks for the explanation.

Welcome.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    mbe said:
    I'm a refugee
      From the FDP
      I don't have a gun
      I joined TFB
      I like cheap guitars
      I like practice amps
      Much better hobby
      Than collecting stamps
    OK, I give up @mbe, where are those lyrics from??
    :D
    DaevidJ said:

slowly coming round to the idea of buying a Strat ;)
    Have you seen what's in the Classifieds??
    ;)

The only reason I posted that track was your pic ... of your blue guitars.  Whenever I see Blue Guitars, I think Chris Rea!
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    edited October 2017
    @NPP ;;Quite a few, but mainly Pistonheads. I also join up to ones for whichever cars I currently own, so I drop by MX5Nutz periodically and less so the two UK GT86 forums.

Forgot to add, playing wise, I started about 30 years ago picking up my dad's telecaster copy. Since then, I've learnt to play a grand total of zero songs from start to finish as I tend to hear a riff I like, attempt to learn it, get close enough, then put the guitar down again. That has been a topic of amusement for my family for many years.

And thanks @TTony ; for the welcome. My life has distilled down to doing most things for a reason and dismissing things that I can't justify or work out why I would do them, which can make it difficult for me at times but I'm used to it these days.
    BrianC said:

I will try and make more effort in the future
    just whenever you feel like popping in @BrianC - you'd be surprised how many people will share some of your life experiences and understand completely where you're at.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    TTony said:
    DaevidJ said:

slowly coming round to the idea of buying a Strat ;)
    Have you seen what's in the Classifieds??
    ;)

The only reason I posted that track was your pic ... of your blue guitars.  Whenever I see Blue Guitars, I think Chris Rea!
    Haha :D 

Yup, been looking there recently despite not having the full inclination to commit and dwindled funds due to numerous outgoings... Case of too many guitars out there, too little time. I am very much about having a triumverate of electrics so the next one which will probably be replaced will be the Mustang Special for something with a trem and three pickups. 
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    edited October 2017
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past, but have really been put off by the misogyny and homophobia that surfaces from time to time. I am mostly into 1950s solidbody guitars, but not megabucks Gibsons and Fenders - I have a load of Harmony /Kay /Valco kind of things - this is my current fave - 1953 Supro Ozark:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    smnmy said:
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past, but have really been put off by the misogyny and homophobia that surfaces from time to time. I am mostly into 1950s solidbody guitars, but not megabucks Gibsons and Fenders - I have a load of Harmony /Kay /Valco kind of things - this is my current fave - 1953 Supro Ozark:

That looks superb!

Do pop by regularly and post pics of gems like that one.. love it!
    smnmy said:

Well, I'd not seen one of those today until you posted it @smnmy ;
     :o 

What does it sound and play like???
  • JimbobJimbob Frets: 10
    Guilty as charged! TBH I'm just a hobby player and don't feel i have much to contribute, but hopefully that will change now that l'm retired and settled into our new home. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jimbob said:
    Guilty as charged! TBH I'm just a hobby player and don't feel i have much to contribute, but hopefully that will change now that l'm retired and settled into our new home. 
    Lol - most of us are hobby players and are making it up as we go along ;)

Welcome!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    wolsnah said:
    @NPP ;;Quite a few, but mainly Pistonheads. I also join up to ones for whichever cars I currently own, so I drop by MX5Nutz periodically and less so the two UK GT86 forums.

Forgot to add, playing wise, I started about 30 years ago picking up my dad's telecaster copy. Since then, I've learnt to play a grand total of zero songs from start to finish as I tend to hear a riff I like, attempt to learn it, get close enough, then put the guitar down again. That has been a topic of amusement for my family for many years.

And thanks @TTony ; for the welcome. My life has distilled down to doing most things for a reason and dismissing things that I can't justify or work out why I would do them, which can make it difficult for me at times but I'm used to it these days.
    I'm on Nutz as well (the only forum where I'm not 'NPP') and ran the track day diary for a while; not as active there since I sold my MX5 last year

• XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    TTony said:
    smnmy said:
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past

....1953 Supro Ozark:

The pickup is a single coil, not HB (they look similar but this design pre-dates Seth Lover by several years), and it kind of a swampy dirty P-90 ish sound, but without mud - sounds like a light OD pedal most of the time, but without as peda. There's not much to adjust, but that's ok - there's no adjustable truss rod, but the neck has a solid metal core so it's perfectly straight. The neck angle can be adjusted but I've not needed to touch it. Profile is beefy, a bit more of a D profile than the the Gibson style - I've got a similar gtr from '55 which has a much more rounded neck, but both are very comfy. Bridge is nickel plated brass and maintains quite a lot of high end. It's as low as it goes (after ditching thumbwheels) and has a nice low action. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    smnmy said:
    TTony said:
    smnmy said:
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past

....1953 Supro Ozark:

The pickup is a single coil, not HB (they look similar but this design pre-dates Seth Lover by several years), and it kind of a swampy dirty P-90 ish sound, but without mud - sounds like a light OD pedal most of the time, but without as peda. There's not much to adjust, but that's ok - there's no adjustable truss rod, but the neck has a solid metal core so it's perfectly straight. The neck angle can be adjusted but I've not needed to touch it. Profile is beefy, a bit more of a D profile than the the Gibson style - I've got a similar gtr from '55 which has a much more rounded neck, but both are very comfy. Bridge is nickel plated brass and maintains quite a lot of high end. It's as low as it goes (after ditching thumbwheels) and has a nice low action. Love it.
    Sounds like a cracker! Nice to hear about something a bit rare and unusual!