• smnmy said:
    TTony said:
    smnmy said:
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past

....1953 Supro Ozark:
    Well, I'd not seen one of those today until you posted it @smnmy ;
     :o 

What does it sound and play like???
    The pickup is a single coil, not HB (they look similar but this design pre-dates Seth Lover by several years), and it kind of a swampy dirty P-90 ish sound, but without mud - sounds like a light OD pedal most of the time, but without as peda. There's not much to adjust, but that's ok - there's no adjustable truss rod, but the neck has a solid metal core so it's perfectly straight. The neck angle can be adjusted but I've not needed to touch it. Profile is beefy, a bit more of a D profile than the the Gibson style - I've got a similar gtr from '55 which has a much more rounded neck, but both are very comfy. Bridge is nickel plated brass and maintains quite a lot of high end. It's as low as it goes (after ditching thumbwheels) and has a nice low action. Love it.
    One of my favourite things about this forum is the rare and unusual guitars and kit people share here. Wish i had even just one instrument as offbeat and funky as this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @bluejohnp - funnily enough, the really oddball stuff tends to be pretty cheap comparatively.

My 65 Epi Olympic is only minor-oddball, but it's mid-60s Gibson factory, Honduran mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, and less than a grand.... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    smnmy said:
    I am mostly a lurker - I have posted a bit here and there in the past, but have really been put off by the misogyny and homophobia that surfaces from time to time. I am mostly into 1950s solidbody guitars, but not megabucks Gibsons and Fenders - I have a load of Harmony /Kay /Valco kind of things - this is my current fave - 1953 Supro Ozark:

I reckon with some heavy strings you could get some James Bay on with that.

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Afternoon all,

Ive been hanging around for the last year or so and playing guitar on and off since I was 12 (41 now). I'll contribute when I think I have something worthwhile to add, but try and hold off just posting nonsense or speculation.

There's some good info on here and the regulars seem like a decent bunch. The Gibson bashing threads get a bit tedious but everyone has a right to an opinion in the scheme of things.

I really started getting back into playing and collecting about 3-4 years ago when my oldest son started to enjoy playing. Now I'm guilty of indulging in player grade vintage goodness where possible and besides my 53 Lesp Paul conversion have a couple of early 60s ES330s and a 61 Strat

@jumping@shadows aka Yuuki is working on a aged Pelham blue refin for me which should be ready shortly, I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives. The plan is to stick it under the bed and gift it to the oldest boy on his 18th  ;)

anyhow thanks to to all the mods and contributors for keeping the place running, it's appreciated 

cheers

Toby
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
    Great looking guitars @skippy76 ;

And what a lovely thing to do for your son.I'm sure he'll love it.I know I would.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Cheers @breakstuff I reckon it should go down pretty well  :) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    @smnmy - you know, that guitar is really worth a thread in its own right.  I keep coming back to this thread to take another look!  Not often we get something quite so far out of the ordinary.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTony said:
    @smnmy - you know, that guitar is really worth a thread in its own right.  I keep coming back to this thread to take another look!  Not often we get something quite so far out of the ordinary.
    Got to agree. I'd like to see some more shots of it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    m_c said:
    I was never really a lurker here, as having just checked, I started posting not long after I registered, but then you could probably class me as a forum veteran, as I've been running/posting on forums since the late 90s.

My only comment to any lurkers, is treat the place like a local pub. Feel free to talk about guitars, and random nonsense, but keep it civil.
    Same - some great characters on here and a lot of knowledge & experience. When I was made redundant, this place kept me sane! (well, sane-ish! lol). It's my favourite forum, bar none - so, if you're lurking - 'don't be shy, come in and say hi'.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Hi there, I spend much more time lurking than I do posting.  Mainly due to me not knowing much and feeling faintly stupid in such knowledgable company.  I don't often feel that I can contribute anything much to some of the discussions as I don't know enough and don't have the confidence, I worry about making myself look an idiot! 
    Currently playing a Taylor electro acoustic, Classic Vibe Custom Tele and Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro.
    Do love the forum though, people are so helpful and friendly.  
    Thanks guys! 
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    I guess im a bit of a lurker to be honest. I was a member on the old music radar forum and lurked there too.

I try to comment or post on things that Ive had first hand experience of. I try to post new gear days when I get the chance. Ive also met, through deals or sales, a number of peeps on here who are all very welcoming and friendly.

On the flip side, it can look quite clicky, from afar, with in jokes and random references which can be a little bit off putting to noobs.

Its a great forum with a wealth of knowledge.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    skippy76 said:
    Cheers @breakstuff I reckon it should go down pretty well  :) 
    I reckon it should! Lovely thing to do.