Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• HamHam Frets: 8
    I've joined this forum for two reasons.

The impetus to join comes from the unfortunate job I have, to sell the music stuff from my brother in law who died last year of cancer, my sister in law needs the money.

But, this comes at a time when I have started taking guitar lessons to try to learn to play properly (after 50 years of not playing properly, it must be said) so I thought this seemed like a good place to hang around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    Hi @Ham and welcome (albeit under unfortunate circumstances). You will find this a friendly, well-informed, and helpful community. Good luck with your sales, and with your musical progress.

(From another chap who played badly for 50 years before deciding to learn to play somewhat less badly.)

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Hello Ham,

It's good to see you made it here. All the best with the sale and also with the guitar lessons I don't remember you mentioning before.

Whistler
  • So probably the main reason I’ve joined is that I have a very bad case of GAS and have realised that in the last five years I’ve gone from four guitars to 29. The current aim is to think about how I get that 29 back down to a sensible number of “better ones” - I have some that can’t go for sentimental reasons. Some that I’d struggle to get rid of, but it would be lovely to not have to buy any more racks…

I also do a bit of luthiering as a hobby and this seems a good place to learn!!

• I joined to ask for advice and to read through posts and learn things. Hopefully there might be another e-mando player here ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1410
    Welcome  @Paul1401. The are some mando players about. Sadly I am not, so I can't be of any help!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    @Paul1401 I used to have an e-mandolin but moved it on when I realised I didn’t have time to play guitar and mandolin to any reasonable standard and I had to choose between the two. As my guitar playing was less bad than my mandolin the former won. But I’ll try to answer any questions but I suspect you may be a better player than me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    @Paul1401 I used to have an e-mandolin but moved it on when I realised I didn’t have time to play guitar and mandolin to any reasonable standard and I had to choose between the two. As my guitar playing was less bad than my mandolin the former won. But I’ll try to answer any questions but I suspect you may be a better player than me. 
    Thanks
  • Hi there,
    My main reason for joining is to get some advice on an acoustic guitar I want to sell.
    I bought it around 18years ago and it’s still in a very good condition. It’s a Ridgefield guitar (serial no 0007) which not many people have heard of.
    It’s a handmade guitar and I believe it’s only got one supplier that used to be based in Southampton. The website and phone number doesn’t appear at to be active anymore..
    My question is how much should I sell it for? I think I bought it for around £175 at the time. It’s a lovely looking/ sounding guitar. Any advice would be much appreciated ☺️
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    I was searching for info on something or other, and found this place. Took a look around and was impressed with the helpfulness of posts.

As someone who has wasted lots of money and time going down dead ends on gear for want of useful insight and information, I would have benefited greatly from a resource like this many years ago.

As someone who has wasted lots of money and time going down dead ends on gear for want of useful insight and information, maybe I can help spare others the frustration, where I can.

Also, it's interesting to browse and see what people are up to.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    motorhead said:
    I was searching for info on something or other, and found this place. Took a look around and was impressed with the helpfulness of posts.

As someone who has wasted lots of money and time going down dead ends on gear for want of useful insight and information, I would have benefited greatly from a resource like this many years ago.

As someone who has wasted lots of money and time going down dead ends on gear for want of useful insight and information, maybe I can help spare others the frustration, where I can.

Also, it's interesting to browse and see what people are up to.

Hopefully this place will allow you to browse and see what people are up to and help you by providing more useful insight and information and prevent you from going down dead ends while also helping you to help others from doing the same and thereby spare their potential frustration. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Like most Tyler players, he uses a delay, but I think the battery's starved and it's glitching on the repeats. Dann Huff of course would have found a musical application for that....
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    I never could decide between a pet bot or a pet management consultant.

Huff had both of course, with serial/parallel and phase switching.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ian7777ian7777 Frets: 7
    Hi, i joined this website by a recommendation from a friend called Chris, im looking to sell a couple of things and gain some more knowledge on gear. Thanns
  • Hello everyone on the Fretboard, I joined today after someone said they saw some discussions on this site relating to my pedal builds - build and sell fuzz pedals on ebay UK. To be honest, never seen this this site before until today - impressed!! Looks like there is something for everyone.
  • TTony said:
    It would really help us in developing the forum if we could understand *why* people joined and/or *what* it is that they want to get out of their membership.

This would also be a good place to make any specific suggestions for new sort of content that you'd like to see here.

So, have introduced yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, please take another minute or two to let us know
    • Why you joined and what you want
    • Any specific suggestions or requests
    Thanks

Tony
    (admin)
    Hi there, new to the forum! I actually joined following the Guitar Show yesterday. 

I'm always on the lookout for like minded people to chat all things guitar with and get advise on things that I can't get to work (MIDI is a nightmare!!)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi there.... 54yr old bloke beginner here and despite being a musician for over 20 of those years I really didnt' get the hang of the guitar at all, and approached it all wrong.

First guitar was a really brutal chinese fender copy (Behringer 393 USB thing) and all I wanted to do was play rock riffs like Coxon.... hence the wrong approach - the guitar alone would put most off..

Now theres a 24 year gap between ending my professional career, so I' think iv'e got enough distance between brass and piano playing to start with a fresh approach. I'm forever still noodling away on synths and desktop/ipad music apps, but I have a strong incling to learn guitar properly this time. Guitars have improved a heck of a lot over that time and I'm diving back in with a rather easy on the eye East Coast LP. I'll add my thoughts on that via the 'Cheap Chinese Guitars' topic  

My login name was given to me ages ago whilst in the RAF (as a musician) so I had a good musical uprbringing, albeit in the classical sense so was always envious of those who could pick up rock and blues effortlessly, as opposed to my upright stance and lack of 'swing'

My music tastes range from Aphex Twin to Radiohead, James Blake to Brass Band (Test Pieces). My guitarist of choice is either Graham Coxon, Jack White or the multi-talented Jonny Greenwood.

Was watching some guidance on Youtube recently and it was pointed out to me that going back to the beginning of it all is the best way - the Blues. Hell I haven't a clue about all that, but Its like a lightbulb has suddenly lit up...

So yeah, here i am learning pentatonic scales and caged system for the first time ever in my life, and its starting to click..got sore fingers but Im proud of that..

Cheers for the add..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonJ1974JonJ1974 Frets: 7
    Hello all, I'm here to offload some gear - and maybe buy some more :) 

I'm also quite handy on amp tech problems and gigging tech tips. 
  • Tia_ProjectTia_Project Frets: 1
    Hello! I am 35 y/o Italian guy that after 8 years living in UK decided to make it a permanent decision!

As such I brought almost all my gear from Italy here and I would love to find someone near Leamington Spa to jam and speak about and try some new gear in front of a pint!

Also...if you happen to know a capable technician that service vintage rack gear I would love to contact them!!
  • SatyrSatyr Frets: 1
    edited April 5
    Hi All

TBH I’m here to sell the guitars and amps I can no longer use.

I started many years ago with the crap that was available back then. Had a huge gap then took it back up enthusiastically- became kinda proficient but then f**ked up my wrist and that’s the end of it.
    Hoping that nylon strings and right handed styles can scratch the itch now and again.