Have we already discussed Bonamassa's controversial comments?

What's Hot

Comments

• I think he's just trying to say that some players get too wrapped up in the latest wierd and wonderful FX release, and the possible edge/advantage it might give them. Rather than focusing more on getting better as a 'player'. Don't think he's dissing the regular use of drive, delay, etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Is there a link to where said it?

It does sound a bit off but perhaps he is referring to players that would rather buy another pedal than spend work on improving their playing - the latest in fashion drive pedal etc instead of really getting to grips with what they already have, which has been a bit of trend in recent years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2017
    Lost a lot of respect for him over this.

All forms of guitar are valid. Even Wonderwall.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I think the answer is, it always has to serve making good music. It doesn't matter if you're hitting a dustbin lid with a wooden spoon, if you can make it musical and melodic, that's the most important thing.

Many artists have used soundscaping to create songs that we all know and love, and at the end of the day, that's what wins through for me; if the song/music is good, it's good, it doesn't matter how it was created or what by.

I do think as guitarists, playing the instrument that has dominated music for the past 50 years, we tend to think too much of the importance of the guitar, when it has no more right than any other way of creating sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_ said:
    Would I rather listen to JB, or bands like Radiohead or U2 that have used loads of that algorithmic soundscaping "shit".

Hmmmmm.
    Bonamassa might be the ultimate gear-obsessed 'middle-aged rich white guy playing the blooze', but he does have a point here. ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited November 2017
    John_P said:
    Is there a link to where said it?

It does sound a bit off but perhaps he is referring to players that would rather buy another pedal than spend work on improving their playing - the latest in fashion drive pedal etc instead of really getting to grips with what they already have, which has been a bit of trend in recent years. 
    It was in a Music Radar interview about Black Country Communion's new album.

To be honest, it reads a bit oddly for me. The comments themselves sort of stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the interview. 

Firstly, he's asked about his gear, and he talks about the LP he's used, and some pedals and amps. All quite normal. Then he's asked why his pedalboard has slimmed down/disappeared, and out comes the rant.

You could read it that he's having a pop at himself, but the bit that sticks out for me is the "players who spend 35 years learning and still are" comment - almost like he's annoyed that he's not getting enough respect for how much practise he's put in.

Now, he's either genuinely annoyed at some guitarists who (in his view) "overuse" pedals and stare at their shoes all night, or (and here's the cynic in me) he's got a new album to promote and nothing generates traffic like a few controversial comments.

There's only one thing in life worse than being talked about....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I like Joe but these comments seem out of character, and unnecessarily angry. Maybe it’s hanging around with Glen Hughes too much.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Agree it seems at odds with him, sometimes he seems to revel in the angry old school guy a bit much. 

I personally find it pretty hypocritical, “champagne rockstar “ to be honest. Given

a. Not that many years ago he had a massive pedalboard and amp set up
    b. He as more than a few pedal endorsements
    c. He fails to recognise that many of us don’t have the chance to play amps flat out at the levels he does most nights. There are many pubs and clubs where pedals are the best solution
    d. For some musical styles, they are needed or the norm. Be it delay, extra drive etc. Is David G hiding behind his delay for example?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    peteri said:
    Agree it seems at odds with him, sometimes he seems to revel in the angry old school guy a bit much. 

I personally find it pretty hypocritical, “champagne rockstar “ to be honest. Given

a. Not that many years ago he had a massive pedalboard and amp set up
    b. He as more than a few pedal endorsements
    c. He fails to recognise that many of us don’t have the chance to play amps flat out at the levels he does most nights. There are many pubs and clubs where pedals are the best solution
    d. For some musical styles, they are needed or the norm. Be it delay, extra drive etc. Is David G hiding behind his delay for example?
    Just had another read of it. It's almost like he's actually just jealous of some other bands being more successful "despite" having a guitarist who uses pedals for soundscape and hasn't been practising for 35 years. 

Ugh. It actually sounds like a "what's this modern music? Give me a good swing band or some proper classical music" rant.. He will be moaning that there's not much tune and you can't hear the lyrics properly next.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I’d hazard a guess that Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and John Schofield all think it’s lazy that someone who plays mainly pentatonic runs has earned such wealth and fame. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunm said:
    I’d hazard a guess that Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and John Schofield all think it’s lazy that someone who plays mainly pentatonic runs has earned such wealth and fame. 
    I'm not sure John Scofield would care, he's too busy creating soundscapes with all his pedals.

• Let's dance about architecture....  

OK, I think he's entitled to his opinion, but guitar music has fractured over the years into so many different forms it's obvious no-one can do it all well and guitarists choose where to spend their time. As long as they're enjoying it, who cares? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Personally I think you can have an opinion without having such a stab at other people. It never does one any good in the long run.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I think Rage against the Machine had more to say in one song than he has in all of his. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Absolutely no idea what his point is. If someone wants to write a piece of ambient music using 3 big box strymons and a looper that's insulting to him because he's practiced a different type of music for 35 years?

I've been to see a lot of live ambient music, and what I've always felt was missing is a guy playing Eric Johnson rip off pentatonic runs using a different 59 burst on every tune.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Funny, I've always found Bonamassa's highly derivative and mindless bluzak to be lazy in the extreme =) .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I have nothing against the guy but the last few interviews I’ve seen of him have contained some form of self satisfied I-know-best rant, which has downgraded my opinion of him.
    It really does come across as blah blah blah blather blather, which is directly correlated to his musical “voice”.
    Competent player with nothing to say is how I would sum him up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you pushed me to name even one memorable song title or hum a riff from a JoBo or BCC song, I honestly couldn't. And that is coming from someone who is a fan.
  • I think he's just having an off moment.  He's recently had a tone rebellion and ditched his Dumbles and pedals and gone for a mix of Tweed amps instead, with one boost pedal.  Feeling good about that I expect and gone a bit evangelistic.  He'll calm down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    If you pushed me to name even one memorable song title or hum a riff from a JoBo or BCC song, I honestly couldn't. And that is coming from someone who is a fan.
    He has yet to write his "still got the blues" or "parisienne walkways" yet, I mention this two as I see him as a bit of a Gary Moore rip off.

But as someone who used to use allot of pedals and now hardly does, there is something about plugging straight and and getting the best of the amp and guitar you have.... ..     ......but then you kick on the delays and shimmers and that is a whole lot of fun too, just enjoy it whatever