Have we already discussed Bonamassa's controversial comments?

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Right now Facebook is so full of defensive butthurt dad-rockers who think Joe is 100% right I almost can’t even. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I think I get what hes saying.... just plug the guitar in and play..... thats were the fun is.
    But a cynic could argue that that's also where the hackneyed blues licks are that have already been played a million times by better men...
    Yes but it's the way those licks are played and the context into which they are placed.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I came across this the other day and I am a massive Purple fan and highly critical of any covers but, apart from the very poor Jon Lord intro and Bonamassa'a ham fisted opening riffs this is highly creditable version of Lazy...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Controversial? Really? Why do some people take what someone else says so personally? In my line of work I've met and worked with rock and pop stars, actors, TV celebs, radio people etc, and the one thing they all have in common? Nothing. Absolutely nothing in common. They are people with their own thoughts and outlook just like - hey - anyone else! So what if JB has a little go at what he considers a modern malaise in playing? Who cares. It doesn't change listening to his music. I detest Scientolgy and all that it stands for, but I'll watch a film with Tom Cruise in it. Obviously, morally heinous criminal activity from anyone from any walk of life can/should colour your appreciation of their work,but some bloke talking about pedals... I don't agree with him, btw. But then I enjoy listening to many types of music. An creator is about what they create - not the cut of their trousers or not very interesting opinions.
    This is just my opinion, of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited November 2017
    Yeah Matt Bellamy ditch those.pedals and learn to play guitar and write some tunes.. . .. oh wait you did.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    JD50 said:
    Yeah Matt Bellamy ditch those.pedals and learn to play guitar and write some tunes.. . .. oh wait you did.

When?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Learning nothing but pentatonics makes you lazy..... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Jack_ said:
    Would I rather listen to JB, or bands like Radiohead or U2 that have used loads of that algorithmic soundscaping "shit".

Hmmmmm.
    Bonamassa might be the ultimate gear-obsessed 'middle-aged rich white guy playing the blooze', but he does have a point here. ;)

Boooring!!!!
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • it would be unbearable if everyone who played guitar stopped using pedals and we all just played into an amp. Not everyone has Dumbles sitting around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So guy who basically rehashes old music doesn't' like guys who don't? What a bellend.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand where all this is coming from, while Bonamassa is a talented guitarist, he hasn't really brought anything new to music, he is just playing the same blues standards that everyone else is.

This does reek of jealousy, although with the amount that he earns he should be happy enough!  
  • Whitecat said:
    Right now Facebook is so full of defensive butthurt dad-rockers who think Joe is 100% right I almost can’t even. 
    Lots of fully grown men will be selling their pedals, just you wait and see.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone would think he had a new album out to promote and wanted to generate some 'drama' to get people talking about it. ;)
  • HAL9000 said:
    Hmmm...

Sounds like I need to get rid off my...

Joe Bonamassa signature Cry Baby
    Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face
    Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face mini
    Joe Bonamassa MXR FET Driver
    Joe Bonamassa MXR FET Driver Special Edition
    Joe Bonamassa signature model guitar simulator DI

... apparently they're all shit ;-)
    In time he'll have a way overpriced Fender Tweed Champ reissue he'll be imploring us to buy, no doubt! Presumably with some nonsense like 'vacuumed air from 1957 in every cabinet'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand where all this is coming from, while Bonamassa is a talented guitarist, he hasn't really brought anything new to music, he is just playing the same blues standards that everyone else is.

This does reek of jealousy, although with the amount that he earns he should be happy enough!  
    Yup. He's had various rants that "the establishment" has never recognised him in the past (lack of grammys etc) but ultimately it's because he's never done anything new. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always felt that JB needed to focus a lot more on his song writing skills than his guitar playing, or join a band with some people who can actually write some decent songs.  There's no doubt he can play, but it always feels to me he is going through the motions until he gets to a guitar break.  I've never listened to a single song of his that wowed me. 

This might be a bit controversial but I actually feel a similar way about much of Gilmour's solo material too, but he has all the Floyd back catalogue that shows how his guitar playing can really shine in the right circumstances.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    joeyowen said:
    Learning nothing but pentatonics makes you lazy..... 

What? Even if its minor AND major??
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If he means he doesn't like the 'ambient' sound, I'd tend to agree with him, although probably not so vehemently.
    He does sound uncharacteristically seething with rage, must've been having a bad day. Maybe he's run out of storage room for his latest '59 Burst. That'd really piss me off too. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Oh, I see Reverb and Joe B have teamed up to try to get some mutual publicity/ clicks.

Maybe that's just my cynicism talking.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Just being a musician doesn't stop anyone being an intolerant grumpy old man, which is all this is. :)

At least he didn't say "young people these days..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...