Have we already discussed Bonamassa's controversial comments?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    What undies do you think Bonamassa wears? Tangas, Boxers, Budgie Smuglers?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Dunno, but I'm sure they have his name on them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    57Deluxe said:
    Tweed!... prolly old ones as well...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    I can’t quite begin to express how much your question disturbs me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Limehouse_BluesLimehouse_Blues Frets: 1160
    edited November 2017
    I don't get all the hate for JB. The guy was shooting his mouth off. So what? He's a fkin rock star and rock stars get to do that. We all get to shoot our mouth off here and nobody pays attention. Because we're not rock stars. His comments on pedals smack somewhat of ego but frankly it takes ego to achieve what he has achieved.

I'm not especially familiar with his work. Listening to some of it I can see why many guitarists would find it derivative. But there's nothing wrong with that per se. It's extremely well executed. The electric blues has its own repertoire and that repertoire survives because good performers play it. How many of us are really breaking boundaries?

A lot of the animosity directed at JB, I sense, is from cats who think to themselves: I could do that. Well, you probably could. But the fact is, he has and you haven't. It's a free market though. Have a crack at selling out the Albert Hall yourself. If you manage it the world might give a 5hit what you have to say about pedal use.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I don't get all the hate for JB. The guy was shooting his mouth off. So what? He's a fkin rock star and rock stars get to do that. We all get to shoot our mouth off here and nobody pays attention. Because we're not rock stars. His comments on pedals smack somewhat of ego but frankly it takes ego to achieve what he has achieved.

I'm not especially familiar with his work. Listening to some of it I can see why many guitarists would find it derivative. But there's nothing wrong with that per se. It's extremely well executed. The electric blues has its own repertoire and that repertoire survives because good performers play it. How many of us are really breaking boundaries?

A lot of the animosity directed at JB, I sense, is from cats who think to themselves: I could do that. Well, you probably could. But the fact is, he has and you haven't. It's a free market though. Have a crack at selling out the Albert Hall yourself. If you manage it the world might give a 5hit what you have to say about pedal use.
    No. He isn't a rock star. He's a professional musician.

If I walked down the street in town and showed his picture to 100 people, how many could name him?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28259
    We all get to shoot our mouth off here and nobody pays attention. 
    Not really true. If someone here says something stupid it gets commented on.

This Joe bloke said something stupid and it's being commented on.

The fundamental problem with his statement is that it seems to be predicated on the idea that art's worth is proportional to the effort involved in creating it. Which is a jolly silly thing to think.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Sporky said:
    We all get to shoot our mouth off here and nobody pays attention. 
    Not really true. If someone here says something stupid it gets commented on.

This Joe bloke said something stupid and it's being commented on.

The fundamental problem with his statement is that it seems to be predicated on the idea that art's worth is proportional to the effort involved in creating it. Which is a jolly silly thing to think.
    I've been trying really really hard for bloody years and my art is still crap ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

No. He isn't a rock star. He's a professional musician.

If I walked down the street in town and showed his picture to 100 people, how many could name him?

Not as many as would take out a restraining order on you.
     :) 
  • Bridgehouse said:No. He isn't a rock star. He's a professional musician.

Are you a researcher for Pointless?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    No. He isn't a rock star. He's a professional musician.If I walked down the street in town and showed his picture to 100 people, how many could name him?

Probably a couple of them, but I'd bet that they would either be guitar players or their partners.