Have we already discussed Bonamassa's controversial comments?

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    JezWynd said:
    We'll have to settle for Joe's gear rundown in the meantime...

How can we be sure that’s Joe!... there’s nothing in that video that says “bonamassa” he needs to get some branding in there!...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    poopot said:
    “I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fucking lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning”

So he’s spent 35 years learning?... should be better than he is then really... cockwomble of the highest order!...

I'd just like to stand up for those of us who've been playing for 35 years and are still shit.

(I don't think Bonamassa really belongs in that group though, like him or not.)

I can't get too excited about what he said.  He was just shooting his mouth off like we all do, he'd probably say something completely different on another day, especially when confronted with a load of names like Fripp, Belew, Summers, etc.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    In other words: - Dicking around with pedals does necessarily not make you a better player.

Nothing particularly controversial here. I

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    steer said:
    In other words: - Dicking around with pedals does necessarily not make you a better player.

Nothing particularly controversial here. I

No, indeed. If only that was all he actually said.

He could have made the above point perfectly well without insulting a lot of respected musicians by suggesting those that use pedals a lot are lazy, disrespectful of anyone who has practised for 35 years, and what they produce is bullshit and lazy shoe gazing.

I actually think his comments are lazy and disrespectful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited November 2017
    I dont think he was insulting ALL people who use pedals, but just the people hide behind them (for want of a better expression) . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t see why hiding behind them is a bad thing though? If that’s what makes you happy, go for it. It’s narrow minded and judgy!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markj said:
    I think I get what hes saying.... just plug the guitar in and play..... thats were the fun is.
    Totally agree.
    Unless you are into soundscapes of course.

You could argue that plugging straight into an amp has had it's day. Gone are the boneshaking days of multiple 4x12s, we've heard every amp based tone, it's dull,..Players like JoBo rehash old music and contribute nothing to the development of guitar as an instrument beyond it's basic form. His comment just shows him to be shoved so far up his own arse he can play the guitar with his nose.

The onset of FX has taken guitar playing to a whole new level, or at least offered a whole new avenue. there is no less skill in being able to construct and layer a usable, interesting sound, than there is being able play 80 notes a 2nd. It's hard to write good fx driven music, there is skill and vision involved. He should be celebrating the love of guitar in all it's diverse forms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Bonamassa should not always be taken seriously.

For example, some of us might remember this,

That was the whole point of the demonstration.. You don't need any of the grails to sound good. Manifest the tone through your hands and what soul tells you.( not to sound like Carlos Santana.. That dude speaks in tongues and quotes Miles Davis a little too much for my taste for a guy who can't play over changes… Sorry not a fan.. Anyway I digress...) You can really use anything really as long as it stays in tune. As a matter of fact you could place bets on what would break down first… The caddy or the twin… I have the over under on the caddy… 
    Joe B

Nine months later, this...

https://jbonamassa.com/santana-legend-born-woodstock/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2017
    steer said:
    I dont think he was insulting ALL people who use pedals, but just the people hide behind them (for want of a better expression) . 
    (General point, not particularly directed @steer )

We do need a better expression. I don't believe that people hide behind pedals at all, they simply make the music that appeals to them. It can't appeal to everyone and that's a good thing.

Is there any difference between claiming that people hide behind pedals and claiming that people hide behind hugely expensive guitars, amps and the work of an army of the world's best techs and crew?

It's just about making the music you love by whatever means work for you. Trivialising the achievements of others simply because they don't follow the only narrow path you deem worthy lacks sophistication and class.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    Elx said:
    Bonamassa should not always be taken seriously.

For example, some of us might remember this,

That was the whole point of the demonstration.. You don't need any of the grails to sound good. Manifest the tone through your hands and what soul tells you.( not to sound like Carlos Santana.. That dude speaks in tongues and quotes Miles Davis a little too much for my taste for a guy who can't play over changes… Sorry not a fan.. Anyway I digress...) You can really use anything really as long as it stays in tune. As a matter of fact you could place bets on what would break down first… The caddy or the twin… I have the over under on the caddy… 
    Joe B

Nine months later, this...

https://jbonamassa.com/santana-legend-born-woodstock/

I've never seen Bonamassa's website before.... why has he even got big articles about Santana and other bands on there?  He really is a one-man industry, isn't he.

The Bay Area looks very nice, by the way...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Anyone else thinks that he looks like Agent Smith from the Matrix? Coincidence? I think not.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Late to the party here! Funny, I thought the guitar was an instrument of expression. Perhaps I was wrong...

He gurns a lot when he plays, I find that pretty irritating tbh.

His guitar playing is above average at a push. Nothing to write home about really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Are we still discussing Bonamassa's controversial comments?
  • @Bridgehouse - yes :) (Cheeky tagging ‘joke’ post-pub from @richardhomer)
    @Bridgehouse - yes :) (Cheeky tagging ‘joke’ post-pub from @richardhomer)
    Post-pub?? Part timer. 
  • @Bridgehouse - yes :) (Cheeky tagging ‘joke’ post-pub from @richardhomer)
    Post-pub?? Part timer. 
    You don’t know how early I got there....
  • BigMonka said:
    Anyone else thinks that he looks like Agent Smith from the Matrix? Coincidence? I think not.
    I don't know why he insists on those ridiculous sunglasses. At least he could go for something classic. He'd suit a pair of Jo Bonamassa Signature Wayfarers much better
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonka said:
    I don't know why he insists on those ridiculous sunglasses. At least he could go for something classic. He'd suit a pair of Jo Bonamassa Signature Wayfarers much better
    If you really want to look at things properly you don’t need glasses, I’ve spent 35 years really looking at things every day. Then someone comes along who can barely read a newspaper and uses glasses. Get the fuck outta here! Try something really hard like reading the terms and conditions on a scratch card or spotting the difference between a Metro and a Rover 100 from a distance - try that! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I don’t see why hiding behind them is a bad thing though? If that’s what makes you happy, go for it. It’s narrow minded and judgy!
    Is it hiding at all? If you cock up a note or a bar with a LP plugged direct into a JCM800 you just wreck that bar and many of the audience may not notice and if they do they may not care. If you make the same mistake with the Edge's rig surely it's going to be a butterfly flapping its wings causing a hurricane type scenario? I've done the big stack thing but not the 'soundscape' thing, I'd worry I'd make a hash of it and the result would be a sonic plane crash.