Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Ashes Winter 2017/18 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Anybody actually watched any of this morning or seen highlights? People on social media seem to be up in arms about the Stoneman decision, but never know what to believe with social media, probably just people having hissy fits!

Yet another disappointing showing from Cook...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody actually watched any of this morning or seen highlights? People on social media seem to be up in arms about the Stoneman decision, but never know what to believe with social media, probably just people having hissy fits!

Yet another disappointing showing from Cook...

Yep, Cook hasn't got off the plane has he?

I read and heard the fluff over Stoneman's wicket, it happens, 1 wicket shouldn't ever be the difference between winning & losing, it is what it is.

211-4 can they pass the statistical milestone of 300?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30918
    Go Teddington CC. (Malan!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2017
    100 for Malan! Well I'll eat my hat! 290-4

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Malan you absolute beauty. Well played lad...and to Bairstow too.

At last something to cheer about in this series.
  • Gassage said:
    Go Teddington CC. (Malan!)
    Indeed. Played down there eight years ago and saw him play and laid a bet with a friend that he'd play for England. And that bet has just paid up more now he's got his ton and made me late for a meeting thanks to TMS :dizzy: 

I do miss the days of the corporate six a side tournaments at Teddington. Cracking days of fun. 

• 100 for Malan! Well I'll eat my hat!
    First of the series! Well batted sir. Now, just stay there until stumps! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    malan must be thinking why can't we play all our tests at the waca

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Here's a Stat: England have won all games at Perth where they have scored 300+ in the first innings, lost all matches where they get less than 300 in the first innings.

Well that's 300 up. Does that mean we're guaranteed to win now?  =)
  • Oooh ...extra over because of incompetence. Hope that doesn't cost us! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VimFuego said:
    malan must be thinking why can't we play all our tests at the waca
    Wait until they bat. Recent Tests at the WACA have been run fests. 

edited December 2017

Here's a Stat: England have won all games at Perth where they have scored 300+ in the first innings, lost all matches where they get less than 300 in the first innings.

Well that's 300 up. Does that mean we're guaranteed to win now? 

Statistically, yes. But I do recall a stat about the Grand National, that no French horse had won for 100 years being bandied about in 2009, and French horse, Mon Mome went and won at 100-1. So stats are there to be overturned.

My view is that we are in an excellent position at the WACA and Malan's 100 gives the boys a mental lift, but...if we can bat on it, so can they, and they have a better batting line up. The bowlers need to find a way through the Aussies, we need a session with one of Broads multi wicket haul flourishes and rip through them leaving them a 100 runs short of our first innings total to really give them something to think about.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11296
    300 is good, with our bowling attack we need about 500 to be in with a chance.
  • The last two Tests at the WACA:

SA hit 540 in the 3rd innings. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10615/scorecard/1000851/australia-vs-south-africa-1st-test-sa-tour-of-australia-2016-17/

Kiwi snoozefest

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/11249/scorecard/892511/australia-vs-new-zealand-2nd-test-new-zealand-tour-of-australia-2015-16/

This pitch seems a bit more lively than those two. If it flattens out, then it'll be a proper road. 

• Here's a Stat: England have won all games at Perth where they have scored 300+ in the first innings, lost all matches where they get less than 300 in the first innings.

Statistically, yes. 

Glad that's cleared up then. I'm betting my mortgage balance on an England victory. 

If it all goes tits up it's your fault! 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    well, I don't care what heartfeltdebbiedowner says, I'm gonna enjoy our moment in the sun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha! It's been a decent day. Four innings game though, let's see how things lie at the end of Day 2 before deciding. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

Here's a Stat: England have won all games at Perth where they have scored 300+ in the first innings, lost all matches where they get less than 300 in the first innings.

Statistically, yes. But I do recall a stat about the Grand National, that no French horse had won for 100 years being bandied about in 2009, and French horse, Mon Mome went and won at 100-1. So stats are there to be overturned.

My view is that we are in an excellent position at the WACA and Malan's 100 gives the boys a mental lift, but...if we can bat on it, so can they, and they have a better batting line up. The bowlers need to find a way through the Aussies, we need a session with one of Broads multi wicket haul flourishes and rip through them leaving them a 100 runs short of our first innings total to really give them something to think about.

Not true.  They have Warner and Smith, and Marsh is passable, but the rest is pretty ropey.  They also have quite a long tail if we can exploit it.

Our lower middle order is better than theirs.  Bairstow is definitely a better bat than Paine - he's probably better than anyone in their team other than Smith and Warner.  Moeen, while not as good a spin bowler is definitely a better bat than Lyon.  Cummins has stuck around but he's no better than Woakes/Overton.

Their batting issues are masked by the bowling attacks.  Lyon has been a huge difference compared with the cut finger version of Moeen.   The extra pace of the Aussie quicks makes a difference as well.  I doubt someone like Cummins would have hung around nearly as long against himself and Starc as he has against our bowling.

If you put both batting line ups against the same attack in the same conditions, I think ours would score more runs most of the time.

edited December 2017
    crunchman said:

Not true.  They have Warner and Smith, and Marsh is passable, but the rest is pretty ropey.  They also have quite a long tail if we can exploit it.

Our lower middle order is better than theirs.  Bairstow is definitely a better bat than Paine - he's probably better than anyone in their team other than Smith and Warner.  Moeen, while not as good a spin bowler is definitely a better bat than Lyon.  Cummins has stuck around but he's no better than Woakes/Overton.

Their batting issues are masked by the bowling attacks.  Lyon has been a huge difference compared with the cut finger version of Moeen.   The extra pace of the Aussie quicks makes a difference as well.  I doubt someone like Cummins would have hung around nearly as long against himself and Starc as he has against our bowling.

If you put both batting line ups against the same attack in the same conditions, I think ours would score more runs most of the time.

OK, that makes sense, I hope you're right and we see them off.

Betfair have England favourites to win this test at 3.1 and Aus at 4.3 to win.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    crunchman said:

I agree - this is what Boycott keeps saying and for once he's right.  England won the series in 2010/11 with a similar bowling attack to what they have now, the difference was Mitchell Johnson didn't play in one test and he was an inconsistent performer in the others.  Genuine pace makes a big difference and I think it's true though that most, if not all, of England's previous ashes wins in Oz have been with a real fast bowler eg. Tyson, Trueman, Snow, Willis, Dilley. 

Talking about the old days I'm surprised no-one has reminded the Aussies what a cry baby fuss they made when John Snow got one of their tail enders with a bouncer in '71.  How times have changed.