What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Fantastic explanation - thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    I saw this, sadly I can't see the FM9 version dropping in time for my gig on Saturday!

On a side note, is anyone here using the songs/setlist feature? I'd never tried it as didn't want the gaps, but with the new gapless switching on the horizon (for the FM9) I've started experimenting with it - pretty neat
    DavusPG said:
    I saw this, sadly I can't see the FM9 version dropping in time for my gig on Saturday!

On a side note, is anyone here using the songs/setlist feature? I'd never tried it as didn't want the gaps, but with the new gapless switching on the horizon (for the FM9) I've started experimenting with it - pretty neat
    Yeah, I use it on both the FM9 and AFX3. Very handy, although I wish we had more characters for the song name and part!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Yeah, gapless for the FM9 will open up a lot of possibilities. It'll also free up a bit of real estate on my master layout. Currently I'm having to use a mixer block to switch seamlessly between two amp blocks which is using up a footswitch on it's own. 
  • How long does it usually take for Axe Edit to catch up with the FW?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    How long does it usually take for Axe Edit to catch up with the FW?
    Its usually updated during the Betas phase - so this should work with production release - 
    Axe-Edit III 1.13.06 (to support fw 23.00 public beta 7) | Fractal Audio Systems Forum
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    DavusPG said:

I've had an AxeFx for over 10 years, and if there is one piece of advice I've seen a lot it is:
    Don't install new firmware a few days before a gig

It may be better now, but in the past the new FW would usually change enough about the amp models, etc., that all your patches need to be checked and possibly reworked. You don't want an unexpected lame patch in the middle of a gig
    @ToneControl thank you for the advice, but my comment was tongue in cheek. Have been using Fractal for about 8 years now I think and am well aware of the potential issues new firmware can cause!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    DavusPG said:
    @ToneControl thank you for the advice, but my comment was tongue in cheek. Have been using Fractal for about 8 years now I think and am well aware of the potential issues new firmware can cause!
    sorry, did not know you were a long-term owner, just didn't want to see anyone messing up their patches at the last minute. The patches used to need a lot of rework a few years ago, and some were harder to recover
    That is not just relevant to betas though.... there has been a couple of releases with strange things happening in them - such as the recent v23 release. We're now on 23.02 already.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Have an FM3 incoming guys . Looking forward to spinning it up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    I’ll add in here too. My FM9 Turbo is up for grabs in the classifieds. 
    edited November 2023
    Upgrading to the 3? 

Scratch that, just saw your post about your rig.
    edited November 2023
    Hi all,

Getting up and running with my FM3. Loving the sound quality and form factor. Really impressed so far.

I’m coming from using the Helix for the last couple of months. One thing i did there was do a high and low cut in the cab block.

In the cab block i low cut at 70hz and high cut at around 3khz. To me that takes out the harsh top end. Easy enough to do this in the FM3.

But… do you guys also do a low and high cut in amp block and drive blocks? I’m guessing yes…
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    I put an EQ block between Amp and Cab. This makes it easy to compare EQ curves by switching channels, and to copy/paste EQ curves between patches.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Good idea. thx.
    @Roland a newbie question for you about that EQ Block. Wondering why you put if between the amp and cab?  Why would you not put it after the cab? 

My thinking is the speaker block would undo the EQ if the EQ block is put before it..

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    AndyJP said:
    @Roland a newbie question for you about that EQ Block. Wondering why you put if between the amp and cab?  Why would you not put it after the cab? 

My thinking is the speaker block would undo the EQ if the EQ block is put before it..

It doesn't really matter to be honest mate but if I was doing it I would put it after the cab block too, I tend to use the Hi/Lo in the Cab block rather than a full on EQ block though, its just easier and you can have cab "channels" too - the AXIII guys have a lot more block space to play with!! - I started out with the FM3 and have kept the space-saving practices in place.

What I will say is that also being a Helix>Fractal user - what I quickly learnt is that the Fractal stuff doesn;t need half as much EQ tweaking as the L6 stuff - a simple H/L cut in the cab is all that's needed and bosh its sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    AndyJP said:
    Wondering why you put if between the amp and cab?  Why would you not put it after the cab? 

The are two reasons. I sometimes run two Amp blocks in parallel, and want the option to adjust the EQ separately for each Amp. I also have a third parallel route into the Cab which has my acoustic guitar simulation with its own EQ. Turning EQ blocks on and off is an easy way to switch routes.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.