The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    FM9's official FW7 has been released as well.

I tried the FM9 FW7 beta last night at an audition, using York Audio greenback IR mixes for the first time. It sounded bloody brilliant I thought, and the band commented on how great it was and how well it sat in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Yep, FW7 does sound great doesn’t it, I know there can be a bit of emporer’s new clothes syndrome going on at Church of Cliff when a new FW is released but this one definitely sounds better!!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited April 17
    Loving FM3 FW8 Beta.   Nice to have the new Nobels ODR1 drive.   The Deluxe Reverb is my go to and think it sounds even better.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Kultschar said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Yeah, I call that 'the Cliff effect'; there's a LOT of odd behaviour in the forums, and the amount of brown-nosing is insane. Can't deny they make amazing products, but the way a lot of people act you'd think they created World peace or something.
    Agree - also quite a highly censored forum!   Dare mention a sniff of other competing products

To be fair, a manufacturer's own forum isn't really the place to be discussing other manufacturer's products. That's what general forums are for. There are plenty of places to do that elsewhere (here, TGP, TGF etc. etc.).
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Here’s a pre/post update comparison video for firmware 7 on the FM#9. As a general rule I don’t have much faith in YouTube comparisons, but his one covers a range of sounds, if not styles:

https://youtu.be/DJUbE0-gcyQ
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Seems like there may be a weird bug in FW25 on the AFX3 - I and several others have encountered random freezing of the unit. Some have had a high pitched noise, others (like me) have had silence, but all output LEDs on the unit are full.

Very strange!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Glad you said that. I was thinking that with no bugs reported, and a few hours to spare, I might upgrade this afternoon.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Ive mentioned other products in the Fractal Forum and tbh, never had any issues. I did say that the Helix interface is far more user friendly which it most certainly is
  • sweepy said:
    Ive mentioned other products in the Fractal Forum and tbh, never had any issues. I did say that the Helix interface is far more user friendly which it most certainly is
    Well don’t start that nonsense here too. We’ll be having none of that.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    lol,those of us that have used them all probably would agree ;) I'll get my coat :)
  • sweepy said:
    lol,those of us that have used them all probably would agree ;) I'll get my coat :)
    Oh I definitely agree. I’m just manifesting the spirit of a true Fractal fan boi.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And you manifested it perfectly, the PRS links in that Forum are mental, ppl with far too much money  ;)
  • sweepy said:
    And you manifested it perfectly, the PRS links in that Forum are mental, ppl with far too much money  ;)
    Ah, now I can’t piss take too much with that due to my love of PRS. I’m no dentist, but I do spend money I don’t have!

sweepy said:
    Ah, now I can’t piss take too much with that due to my love of PRS. I’m no dentist, but I do spend money I don’t have!
    Guilty as charged too tbh but some of them have a wall of the posh models !!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    sweepy said:
    I didn't use either that much on the front panel, but got the impression that the Helix was easier to use.
    However, in the Windows editor, I much prefer the Fractal editor
    Oh agreed the software editor on the Mac/PC is far better on the Fractal apart from a few little niggles, if I was gigging I'd get a cheapo laptop just to run that permanently 
    Yeah, that's (IMO) the major downside with Fractal - front panel editing CAN be tricky and very finicky. I know there's a 3rd party iPad editor app, but TBH, it's expensive and doesn't work that well. I was thinking of just getting a second-hand windows tablet or something to run it from, as well as my IEM mix software.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I don’t think it’s too bad, I tend to use the performance pages for the stuff that I would generally tweak at a gig, Hi/Lo cuts, drive, gain, amp tone controls, delay mix etc.

Anything more than that isn’t really something you do on the fly at a gig surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    I don’t think it’s too bad, I tend to use the performance pages for the stuff that I would generally tweak at a gig, Hi/Lo cuts, drive, gain, amp tone controls, delay mix etc.

Anything more than that isn’t really something you do on the fly at a gig surely?
    Great point, I'd forgotten about the performance tabs!

I tend to only really need to tweak 'deeper' things at rehearsal, just to ensure they're all fully setup. FOr example, if a block was accidentally bypassed, or the mix wasn't correct, or if a footswitch isn't doing what I want etc.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    Roland said:
    Glad you said that. I was thinking that with no bugs reported, and a few hours to spare, I might upgrade this afternoon.
    FWIW Ive been using mine everyday, and havent had any issues since the FW update.