Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

LED Christmas lights - not very cheery are they?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4991
Something about the light quality from LED Christmas lights does not hit the gold circle.  The light quality is cool, very few are multicolored which are not too bad considering, the white lights do not spread any Christmas cheer IMHO.  The older fairy lights were much warmer in colour and did what they were supposed to do.  It seems that in the mad rush to reduce power consumption, certain elements, like Christmas cheer, of Christmas lights are deemed unnecessary. Sod off bureaucrats and give us back our traditional fairy lights.  The lights that we grew up with. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    I say bring back candles on the tree
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    Everyone likes a house fire at Xmas
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    First world problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Could be worse...

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    You know what I miss? The plague. Weren't we all cheerier when we knew our chances of seeing next Thursday were slim.
    And the community spirit, remember that? Dividing up everybodies meagre belongings as they died.
    I blame vaccinations, it's just not the same nowadays.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We had 2 kinds when I were a Kid. There were the little tiny ones 20 to a set so they'd have been 12V each and they were clear glass with a little plastic flower at the base where the bulb screwed in. Then there were the big set which were 12 to the set so they'd have dropped 20V each. They were painted glass and about the size of your thumb. I remember them from (probably) 1960 and in the early 70s we still had some originals but others had been replaced by naff modern ones. Those old big ones were amazing. Especially them that were shaped  like victorian lanterns and painted with red, gold and green (rasta style??).

The glass baubles were amazing as well. The colours were so deep and even the shiny silvered glass looked as it it were several inches thick - but it was eggshell thin and highly fragile. No wonder dad used to try to stop the cat from playing with them! 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    We had little candle holders that clipped onto the branches so we could have real candles lighting the room with their warm flickering glow.
    Of course, that was before the Health & Safety Nazis took over.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Anyway, Pifco Fibre Optics were where it was at.

• I remember when it was all just fields....
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    I remember when it was all just fields....
    You mean grass and hedges, rabbits and flowers!  Wow! That must have been amazing.  Where did they park their chariots?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I disagree. The old lights were rubbish. They got hot, were potentially dangerous, they would all go out because one bulb blew and it was hard to find the problem one, the spares always got lost. I remember my dad stuffing silver foil in instead of a bulb to get them working. LEDs are bright, colourful, can flash, never blow. Million times better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27661
    Rocker said:
    LED Christmas lights
    How do you know?

It's not "Christmas" yet.

I think you're probably talking about LED early-December lights.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ah yes @axisus, LEDs are bright, colourful, can flash.... You left out the bit where they can cut the eyes out of your head with glare. The only good thing about them is that they work. Probably. 

Unrelated but but in a similar vein, I saw a street hawker selling boxes of Christmas lights on the streets of Dublin today. Sets of 1600. Yes you read it correctly, 1600. All white lights. Why??..

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• We have LED christmas lights because global capitalism allows China to sell them to us cheap. If you're going to blame anything, blame neoliberalism, not bureaucrats.
    As I understand it @thermionic, the bureaucrats have deemed that we must reduce our carbon emissions. Hence LED lightbulbs. The Chinese are only supplying the market created by the bureaucrats.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I really don’t like the uber-bright multicolour ones that seem to be all the rage these days like this

Give me a nice warm clear light anyday (cat sold separately)

Old style lights with the pointy flower shaped plastic collars were the bomb however and evoke a massive sense of nostalgia

• Rocker said:
    Unrelated but but in a similar vein, I saw a street hawker selling boxes of Christmas lights on the streets of Dublin today. Sets of 1600. Yes you read it correctly, 1600. All white lights. Why??..
    So you can put them all over your house, American style
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    When my boys were young I had an Aussie patient or client,
    who gave me a little Christmas wombat to hang on the tree
    But the wombat's eyes fell off so I drew a big pair of stoner eyes and a comedy nose on the little fella - he was like our special Xmas wombat.
    My kids loved it; my missus hated it.
    But it's just really nice to know
    that although I've not seen my ex since the turn of the century
    apparently that wombat is still on her tree cos the boys won't let her throw it away and insist "it''s part of Christmas"
    And there's a bit of Christmas which is about dumb stuff like this.
    Memories of lights; memories of wombats.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    We had little candle holders that clipped onto the branches so we could have real candles lighting the room with their warm flickering glow.
    Of course, that was before the Health & Safety Nazis took over.
    We had some of those. To the best of my memory we never actually lit the candles but they’d get clipped back on every year, many of them broken in half as they’d been put back in the box badly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560
    If your LED lights don’t look Christmassy, you bought the wrong ones. Mine are really nice - 80 lights in four warm colours, can be set to constant light, various stepped patterns or ‘twinkle’ (my favourite), work reliably, and aren't a potential fire or shock hazard.

So much better than the old twenty cheap 12V bulbs in series connected straight to the mains, which had about a 50% chance of playing find the dead bulb every year. Bearing in mind that one wire in the holder is live at 240V when you find the dead one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein