The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    Be good to see that finished - top looks stunning.

Have you still got the original pickups that you were going to use?  Any change of thinking re the finish?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    TTony said:
    Be good to see that finished - top looks stunning.

Have you still got the original pickups that you were going to use?  Any change of thinking re the finish?
    I do have thee black staples, but currently in another of my guitars.  I also have some Oil City mini humbuckers and think they would look good with black rings in a custom.  Or I might get tempted with something different

It will still be black.
    i pre-bend the purfling and binding strips... for this one i am using 1mm thick B/W strips, 3 strips for the full 6 layers, then an extra strip of thick white binding.  

i modded an old template by adding binding ledges,    pre-bending with a heat gun and binding template like this makes it much easier when you come to glue to the guitar.  It doesnt have to be perfect at this stage, just close to final dimensions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Binding is on.... again.

will leave it taped up for a day or so

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    very smart looking.  like the template pre-bending approach too. 
    Never really had to bother untill I was doing multiple strips at a time.... But it definitely made things easier.

Took tape off today but it still smells a bit fumey, so it won't be scraped back today
    I should say, after this was glued in place and taped up, I got some acetone in a syringe and flooded the top edge of all the binding layers.   
    This wicks in any remaining gaps with capillary action and melts the binding together.    You can do this and not use any glue at all, but here it's just used for a bit if extra insurance.

It's also why it's taking longer to gas off and re-harden fully
    got the binding mostly sorted.  its getting there and I hope to have it ready for spraying  at the same time as the hollowbody.

here it is with a  few random parts added...  I'm tempted to get some black rings for the mini humbuckers and use those.   Its likely going to be a heavy relic black finish

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Man!  these builds are just great, and so inspiring @WezV ;
    I'm going to try my hand at binding simply because of this thread. 

That guitar in black is going to be stunning. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yes - that's looking nice.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    WezV said:
    got the binding mostly sorted.  its getting there and I hope to have it ready for spraying  at the same time as the hollowbody.

here it is with a  few random parts added...  I'm tempted to get some black rings for the mini humbuckers and use those.   Its likely going to be a heavy relic black finish

That looks sexy as fuck.  FWIW I think the wood grain is so gorgeous, ?possible finish to show it in all its majesty.  The Marc Bolan vibe.  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Hi Wez,
    I like the plain body look.  This is my Marc Bolan tribute Les Paul.

It has picked up a few marks on the sides whilst in storage, so it will be a solid finish for this one, but I might have some of the mahogany peeking through 
    You have all got me thinking about a dark burst though.  Front, back, sides and neck perhaps
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    WezV said:
    You have all got me thinking about a dark burst though.  Front, back, sides and neck perhaps
    Ooooh ooooh ooooh
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    That would look great on it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    WezV said:
    That’s a much better idea
    ;)

The top is a nice piece of wood - it deserves a finish that shows it off rather than hides it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    well i went solid black

first stage of relicing - a bit of wear and a few chips.   i have no intention of keeping it subtle on this one:D 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Black or cream?  i quite like how the cream ring matches with the binding, but black looks a bit sleeker i think

Also, this is second stage relicing.  Done with a knife at this stage for the general patterns i want.   Its always a bit hokey at this stage.    It will get another polish now with helps make it all look a lot more natural... then its onto dirt which is when it starts looking like i want
    Black for me !
    looking forward to seeing what you do with the dirt phase.   This looks great ( as ever Wez )