C18Q1 - Nuno Gilmour

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• TTony said:
    Incidentally, if anyone's curious, that bridge came from our very own @Graingerguitars 
    I was just about to ask about that.  I might have to pay them a visit for a bridge or two for my build #3.
    Lovely solid bridge, and they can work as both through-body and top-loaded. It's a nice bit of flexibility. I've got two now - one on this guitar and one on my lightweight Tele from Jaden.

TTony said:

I wouldn't worry about the bridge being 1mm out.  As long as the strings don't fall off the fretboard in normal playing, then the bridge is in the right place
    ;)

Like the contrast between the maple board and the black, and definitely like the black finish.  
    Cheers - it is quite a nice colour scheme :) I like the fact that the body looks a little old and used (more apparent in person), without being a relic job.

Good to know about the bridge...I did some maths, and it works out right anyway (intonation-wise). The only slight irritation is the combination of the bridge being too far south and the pickups being slightly too far north means that the polepieces don't even come close to matching up. If I ever switch to Lace Sensors (distinctly possible), that problem goes away.

Thanks for the shoutout @digitalscream.  W ‘ll see you guys at the Birmingham show at the end of Feb...I believe we have the stand next to yours
    My pleasure - always happy to tell folk about good service and products. See you there :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited January 2018
    This turned out great, your first attempt too, hit some problems, got through them, Im really pleased for you. Unique guitar too

• Y'know what? I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that this has instantly become my favourite guitar to play. It's possible (even likely) that it's the honeymoon period, but to use an analogy...the Jadens still feel like "home", but this one feels like my local. 

I've spent some time comparing them and trying to figure out what's different. Obviously the body's a lot smaller on this one, but the fretboard is also noticeably thinner. The neck's just as deep, though, and the fretboard radius is smaller (I think the Jadens are 17" or 18", while this is 12-14").

The only things I'm going to change are the pickups - not really getting on with the HS3s - and I'll have to do something about the tail on the shark fin 'cos it's hampering my upper fret access while playing standing up.
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I think sometimes theres a bit of affinity for something you have an input into building that makes it feel a bit more "special" too....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ...and here it is under stage lights. Dat grain!

<space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That grain really pops well umder the lights, no joy with Lace pickups?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26647
    edited January 2018
    paulnb57 said:
    That grain really pops well umder the lights, no joy with Lace pickups?
    I have a plan. Remembered that my dad has a white Red in the neck position of his Strat (!), so I'm doing a trade for that. I've bought a blank cover for the middle position - that's an experiment I'm not happy with, so it's going - and now I just need a Blue for the neck.

The HS3s are truly great pickups, they really are - they're just not for me.
    <space for hire>
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
     That’s awesome @digitalscream ; :)

• Great news...I've just won yet more money in online poker, so I can get a Blue without upsetting myself unduly :)

Only thing is...the Red I'm scragging from my dad's Strat is one of the old-style ones with the metal lugs, so I really need to get a Blue from before they went with the all-plastic housing.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26647
    An update nobody asked for - I gave it away tonight. An old friend from my school days posted a video of her kids at an open mic night, and her son was playing a Squier Affinity Tele.

Now, this guitar ain't great, but it's better than an Affinity. So...given that I've now got too many guitars and it was never getting played...it's his now, and he loves it.

Feel pretty good about that.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    An update nobody asked for - I gave it away tonight. An old friend from my school days posted a video of her kids at an open mic night, and her son was playing a Squier Affinity Tele.

Now, this guitar ain't great, but it's better than an Affinity. So...given that I've now got too many guitars and it was never getting played...it's his now, and he loves it.

Feel pretty good about that.
    Yeah that’s top chap behaviour well done