Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Picks

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
Just curious as to what everyone uses? Do you have a preference? Are there reasons for said preference or do you just use whatever is to hand?

I used to use the standard dunlop tortex/ultex etc. but now use almost exclusively Jazz III's (unless i go by the Joyo stand at a guitar show - they always have loads of almost jazz III's :)
I like them and find them comfortable.

Recently some friends have been telling me that i have to use Gravity picks as they are super amazing best things ever for the toannsssss and the claritys and the blah blah blah.. I tried one and didn't like it.

So yeah.. original question.. what picks? :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jim Dunlop stainless steel rigid (0,51mm?) = best general purpose pick
    TeckPick brass rigid is slightly mellower for jazz/bluesy stuff
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14322
    tFB Trader
    Dunlop Stubby 2mm jazz - can't use anything else - used these for about 20 years now
  • Dunlop Tortex Wedge. 0.60mm for acoustic 0.88mm for electric.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    For some reason for the last 20 yrs I’ve only used Landstrom Sharkfin plectrums. Light for electric and ultra light for acoustic. And I do actually use all three sides of them depending on what I’m doing. Great for pinched harmonics and arpeggios. I find most players picks too heavy for my style. Funny what we get used to.
  • Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL.  Harder and more rigid than the nylon ones, with a bit more attack.  Only downside is the awful transparent piss colour which means you can't see where you've put them down.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135

I use Clayton Spectra Polycarbs 0.6 mainly.

Having said that I loved the freebie ones from Nottingham City Guitars - I snaffled a whole bunch last time I was there and I'm due back in Jan for some set up work so I'll try and get a few more. No idea what they are but they're lovely. I'll ask Andy to reveal his sources :-)

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    My pick of choice is the Tortex Jazz III .88mm. I like the Jazz III shape but find the Nylon ones too thick and they dull the tone. Tortex ones are perfect.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited January 2018
    Always Dunlop.

Tortex, TIII, and Nylon Max grip.

Generally anything between .60 and .88.  Usually .60 Max Grip on acoustic (strumming) and .73 TIII on electric (most styles), but it varies.  I've got most sizes of those picks in these kinds of boxes for organisation.

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I used to use Dunlop jazz iii, standard size red ones for years. Then I changed to the Eric Johnson version. For some reason I started struggling with the tiny size so I moved up to the xl size. 
    These days I use the gold series gravity razor. 1.5mm. I tried the standard gravity ones and like them but I eat through them in no time at all. 
    My favourite ones I've ever used are hawk picks tb6. Trouble is they too wear out too quickly for me. 
    I really like the Dunlop big stubby 2mm. The clear purple ones.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunlop Max Grip 1.0 for pretty much everything now although I used the standard purple Fender pics for awhile. 0.73? 

My Dad uses 0.38 US nylons, the white ones, for everything including a lot of Hank Marvin/ Shadows lead which I find incredible as there’s pretty much nothing to them! 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

V-pick Screamer 2.75mm mostly. Thumbpicks, not sure what make but nothing fancy. Tried fancy ones and ended up back at cheapo. Trimmed a bit, heated to shape, bit of skateboard grip tape on the inside.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Good timing!  I've used tort shell Dunlop X-H for years, very hard almost plinky sound but they just work for me.

Until... recently I got some freebie EVH picks from Dunlop.  Really soft flappy things, total opposite to my usual ones.  Given I'd just bought a Wolfgang I'd try them for a laugh. Eddie uses them and he sounds all right, they can't be total junk, etc.

Winner! :) For whatever reason they sound better playing rock, sort of brighter without being plinky, feel comfortable.  The X-H sounds almost dull in comparison.  Oh and the EVHs don't seem to wear down at the point for some reason, unlike the X-Hs. 

If someone had told me I'd have laughed in their face, but, it is what it is!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve used these for about a year now since I was sent some to try. 

http://www.coarsepicks.com/

Really like them - essentially not a million miles away from Herdims; playing the raspy side with octave stuff is great - legitimately does sound different. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Pickboy Pos-a-Grip 100 - the one with the holes in where you hold it. The only picks I have found that don't slip (for me anyway). Although to be fair I haven't tried tons and tons.
  • Dunlop Tortex III .60mm
  • Dunlop black 1mm nylons. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Dunlop Gator .71 for general use. I like the matt surface texture of gators, and they are not bright/sharp/picky like the Tortex or Ultex.
    If I'm working on rhythm, the the Gator .58 works really well. And for lead work, the Gator .96 or 1.14.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL.  Harder and more rigid than the nylon ones, with a bit more attack.  Only downside is the awful transparent piss colour which means you can't see where you've put them down.
    Um ... you do realise that Jazz refers to the shape, and that Dunlop make them in different materials/colours/thicknesses*? You don't have to have the piss coloured ones (aka Ultex).

*https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/products/guitar+picks/jazz.do
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    I use Winspear picks.

https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/

I used to use Jazz III's and then moved to Jazz III XL's and the Winspear Broadsword is the same shape but thicker and I like the material better!