Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Picks

What's Hot

Comments

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 976
    graph tech tusq 0.88 teardrop vintage ...used them for a couple of years now ,,I can't get on with big picks
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Anyone tried any of the super expensive ones? Can't think of them atm, but I think Rabea has a signature pick that is silly money...

Do they actually make a difference?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    V-Picks 3mm Large. Only way for me. 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I had been using 1mm lately but I went back to 0.88 wedge picks and I noticed a big difference in my playing. Especially speed wise. 

Wasnt always this this way when I started out I preferred 0.46mm.

still prefer the thinner picks on accostic. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Used to use dunlop yellows for years. 
    Then I switched to dunlop gels x-h, fairly thick which is a recent preference.

But recently I’ve discovered that their pick edge has a mouldline which becomes audible when picking, specifically the treble strings. Like it catches the string.  Never really noticed it before, but the other night it really annoyed me!  

Tried some Boss picks though, which only seem to go up to H/Heavy, and are slightly less rigid than i’m used to, but are nice.

Messed around with James Hetfields black fangs and while theyre nice, theyre a little slippery. 

I keep meaning to try a gravity pick to see what the fuss is all about. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    LuttiS said:
    I think Rabea has a signature pick that is silly money...
    Hawk picks, I think - by coincidence, I was looking at them yesterday after a friend recommended them. £14 to you squire ...

But of course, that's the signature premium. The standard ones are only £12.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited January 2018
    Dunlop black fang 0.7 and 1mm. Yellow tortex.

I've got a few Huffscmid 5mm + plectrums in a fit of entusiasum but they've mostly sat in the draw. Interesting to use, quite relaxing but I prefer the sound from a thinner plectrum.

I quite like the gatorgrip 1.5mm but they don't sound as good as the thinner stuff. Anyone else find thinner picks sound better?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Sigmund Freud Celluloids. 

TBH mostly because I like the name but almost anything 1.0mm and stiffish. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Pref these days is for the Jim Dunlop Petrucci Jazz III's,only complaint about them is there a little slippy so i super glue some 320 grit hole punched sand paper circles to them as grip points.

Other picks i have kicking around that get used are Dava Control Picks with a few different material tips,and the Sharp Cheddar (J-III size) Swiss picks

• fandango said:

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL.  Harder and more rigid than the nylon ones, with a bit more attack.  Only downside is the awful transparent piss colour which means you can't see where you've put them down.
    Um ... you do realise that Jazz refers to the shape, and that Dunlop make them in different materials/colours/thicknesses*? You don't have to have the piss coloured ones (aka Ultex).

*https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/products/guitar+picks/jazz.do
    But you can only get the material he likes (Ultex) in the piss colour... I have a few and they dissappear into the abyss when dropped onto the floor.
    Exactly.  I picked up one of the red nylon Jazz III XL picks off the floor at a gig, took it home and discovered I liked the shape.  But I also tried the Ultex ones, and found I preferred the feel and sound.  If you want an Ultex pick, in the Jazz III shape, in the XL size, it has to be the piss amber colour.  If they'd made them bright yellow or something, they'd be great.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I used to be a Dunlop Delrin 500 1.14 mm kinda guy, nowadays; I'm more of a Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5 mm kinda guy.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13955
    Dunlop Primetone 1.5mm

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    Dunlop black 1mm nylons. 
    Me too!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I've done this...

Used a 5 pence piece as a pick (on that rare occasion I couldn't find one).

TBH, this did the 5p/5 pence piece more harm than the coin did to the guitar.
    You won't hurt the guitar... You'd hurt the coin.
  • 3mm stubby, but I also have some wood and stone pics which give a very different tone.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited January 2018
    Have tried loads over the years but always come back to Tortex and Jazz III XL shape.

Like the Petruccis, played the green Tortex for years but currently using the orange TIII ones and the Tosin Abasi sig ones which are the same but smaller. 

Have also enjoyed Ibanez Paul Gilbert and sand picks which also have that Jazz III XL shape.

Tried one of the super expensive Red Bear picks ages ago before the exchange rate tumbled and found it to be "Meh"

Just bought a 72 pack of the orange Dunlop TIII ones though, so I guess I'll be using those for the next 5 years!

Never had a problem with Tortex being slippy....
  • dunlop purple 2mm
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Never had a problem with tortex being slippy until I started using jazz III's... Since then I find I can't get a proper grip on anything else..

Genius move by Dunlop that :)
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Dunlop 418p Tortex (Orange .60)... I used to use Stubby 1mm but decided to change. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616