Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Picks

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Herco Flex 50. Although I find I use my fingers more and more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefan said:
    Good timing!  I've used tort shell Dunlop X-H for years, very hard almost plinky sound but they just work for me.

Until... recently I got some freebie EVH picks from Dunlop.  Really soft flappy things, total opposite to my usual ones.  Given I'd just bought a Wolfgang I'd try them for a laugh. Eddie uses them and he sounds all right, they can't be total junk, etc.

Winner! :) For whatever reason they sound better playing rock, sort of brighter without being plinky, feel comfortable.  The X-H sounds almost dull in comparison.  Oh and the EVHs don't seem to wear down at the point for some reason, unlike the X-Hs. 

If someone had told me I'd have laughed in their face, but, it is what it is!
    EVH has used thin picks for years to my understanding.

I always find it surprising when people think you can't play rock/metal or get a good drive sound with thin picks.

It does mean adjusting your technique a little but once you've figured how to adjust your grip you get used to it, and can go from a stiffer pick to a more flexible pick from how close you hold it to the tip.

Paul Gilbert also uses thinner picks IIRC.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8742
    Like many people I tend to drop picks, or find they slip out of position when strumming repetitively. Metal Tech Picks with the three holes worked well, and I like their stiffness, but not the clank on the string. For a while I used Pickboy ceramics, with the rough surface, but no one seems to stock them at the moment. Earlier this year I found these https://www.blackdogmusic.co.uk/product/10-carbon-fiber-picks-0-5mm-1-0mm-or-1-2mm/. To help with grip I drilled three holes across the top of the pick, à la Tech Pick. Last week I saw the low price, and bought a stack of 30 1.2mm. Coincidentally I drilled them this afternoon.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Jim Dunlop .88's. I like the way the grip can contact the string and give a raspy sound. (sounds terrible now I read it back).
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited January 2018
    I used black Jazz III picks for years. Probably influenced by the fact that I asked Alan Murphy what pick he used many many years ago at an SFX gig, and he gave me a Jim Dunlop Jazz III pick.

I've since moved on to the amber coloured Ultex version of the Jazz III, which I've used for a few years. I like the feel of the grip.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-24427114006-LS8241-Plectrums/dp/B000P5LVSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1515087730&sr=1-1&keywords=Dunlop+LS8241+Plectrums

The blood red John Petrucci version of the Jazz III (with the speed bevel) is nice for a smooth glide.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-518PJP-RD-518pjp-rd-Accessories/dp/B01H4D4MBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1515087820&sr=1-1&keywords=Dunlop+518pjp-rd

But in some ways I prefer the amber coloured Jazz III Ultex because the slight drag gives me a better sense of passing over the string.

It's not a competition.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Frets: 44
    edited January 2018
    My favourite are the Ibanez Heavy but they don't seem to make these anymore so I am now on Jazz III's but could do with something slightly larger
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tortex.

Orange for guitar and blue for bass.

Wanted a thin one for guitar and thick for bass and those are my 2 favourite colours.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    Jazz III 2.0 Ultex. Very similar to the Pretrucci ones but normal Jazz III shape. I like the normal reds and Eric Johnson ones too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fandango said:

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL.  Harder and more rigid than the nylon ones, with a bit more attack.  Only downside is the awful transparent piss colour which means you can't see where you've put them down.
    Um ... you do realise that Jazz refers to the shape, and that Dunlop make them in different materials/colours/thicknesses*? You don't have to have the piss coloured ones (aka Ultex).

*https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/products/guitar+picks/jazz.do
    But you can only get the material he likes (Ultex) in the piss colour... I have a few and they dissappear into the abyss when dropped onto the floor.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    D'addario/Planet Waves 1mm are my current  choice after trying them at the Leicester jam, nice and grippy. 
     I've had a few Winspear but lost my favourite one and didn't buy it again. 
     Got a Gravity out of curiosity and they're fine as well I suppose 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Have used Dunlop's Primetone Jazz III for a while as I found they sounded similar to my nails. Have recently tried a Wegens pick and found it to be better.  They come beveled for left or right which explains some of it and are easy to grip. Come in a nice concrete grey  
  • The standard celluloid ones - I use a 1.2 but lost it earlier this week and had to use a .81  - it was a refreshing change for sound and feel.
    I like the Jazz but find it a bit small - not sure why as I don't have big hands (any similarity to DTrump ends there) but have dry skin so nothing sits very securely - thanks for the idea on drillig those carbon fibre ones Roland!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL.  Harder and more rigid than the nylon ones, with a bit more attack.  Only downside is the awful transparent piss colour which means you can't see where you've put them down.
    Um ... you do realise that Jazz refers to the shape, and that Dunlop make them in different materials/colours/thicknesses*? You don't have to have the piss coloured ones (aka Ultex).

*https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/products/guitar+picks/jazz.do
    But you can only get the material he likes (Ultex) in the piss colour... I have a few and they dissappear into the abyss when dropped onto the floor.
    Other possible solutions to ‘pick slip’, other than Gorilla Snot, is to:
    1. smear a thin layer of pva each side (and allow to dry) to try and give some grip,
    2. Drill holes as suggested in another post,
    3. Rough up the surfaces a little with some coarse sandpaper.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2566
    Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm. Used them for as long as I can remember.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2779
    All of the above 

Given my guitar /amp tone is different every gig / venue, I might as well have a wide range of pics as well

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2779
    Do love fender metal pics though with a strat
    I tried a felt pick on bass before and did not like it at all. Seemed like it would last about a week at most
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7825

Jim Dunlop Nylon .60 with lots of holes made with an awl (actually a sharpened screwdriver) for a bit more grip, and cut to a point.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    After doing the Dunlop Jazz III XL's for quite a while I've started with the V picks that a friend sent me from the U.S,must say I like them so far but can't rule out a return to the the red one in the future.....
    Paul_C said:

Jim Dunlop Nylon .60 with lots of holes made with an awl (actually a sharpened screwdriver) for a bit more grip, and cut to a point.

Thought you said owl.

Could just picture a wee luthier owl with wee round glasses and a stewmac apron