Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM Marshall

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31600
    Plectrum said:
    p90fool said:
    So why on earth we're you banging on about infinitesimal details of 20w Jet City loops when they're all EL84 amps anyway?  

I assumed from the beginning that the 20w/EL34 Marshall thing was a typo, I can't imagine why they'd do that. 

It's no typo. The 20 watters use 2 EL34s running a lower voltage just as in the mini Jubilees.
    Sounds cool, would love to know how that works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Proabably in a similar way that my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 has 2x EL34’s
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    p90fool said:
    Plectrum said:
    p90fool said:
    So why on earth we're you banging on about infinitesimal details of 20w Jet City loops when they're all EL84 amps anyway?  

I assumed from the beginning that the 20w/EL34 Marshall thing was a typo, I can't imagine why they'd do that. 

It's no typo. The 20 watters use 2 EL34s running a lower voltage just as in the mini Jubilees.
    Sounds cool, would love to know how that works.
    One of our amp gurus would probably be best able to explain it.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Just noticed the 50w combo is only around 40lbs.  Swap the speaker for a neo Creamback and that would be an amazingly lightweight & loud package.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Marshall site shows ecc83s in the front end and the power stage of the new DSLs as well as El34s 
    anyone know how that works?

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    The Marshall site shows ecc83s in the front end and the power stage of the new DSLs as well as El34s 

The DSL1 has an ECC82 as a ‘power valve’ the DSL5 uses an ECC99 rest have EL34’s.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited January 2018
    Seen they're doing a DSL 1 watt and a 5 watt version.

I'm planning to upgrade from my MG15r, 1 watt is loud enough for home use wouldn't it? I barely turn the 15 watt one very loud so its a waste of the headroom on the amp I think. The 5 watt one is a bit more than I expected which I was going it get originally. I've never used a 1 watt amp before.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited January 2018
    The 1 watt DSL isn't very loud at all and actually sounds half decent through a cab! Imo the 8" speaker is too small in the combo. Kinda tempted to get a 1w head for playing at home. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited January 2018
    Also according to Andertons the channels aren't footswitchable on the new ones, only 20watts is. But I can see there's a jack labelled F/S in the photos?
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    The Marshall site shows ecc83s in the front end and the power stage of the new DSLs as well as El34s 

Do you mean the ecc83 which is used as the phase inverter (and is therefore technically part of the power section)?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    edited January 2018
    The Marshall website is inconsistent where the phase inverter valve is listed under, preamp or poweramp.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    If it's same basic topology as most of their other amps then it's a bit of both.  Provides differential signals to the power amp but also has gain and contributes to the distortion characteristic.  I'd call it part of the power amp though.

• Plectrum said:

Do you mean the ecc83 which is used as the phase inverter (and is therefore technically part of the power section)?
    That’ll be the one! :)
  • https://youtu.be/dRrdNPZFTQY
    My only concern with the origin amp is that the gain is maxed with the boost about half way through this clip. The amp sounds good, but seems to have even less gain than a JTM45. I’ll wait to hear one in a room before buying. If it just had a smidge more gain on tap and reverb, without the extra complexity of the DSL, I’d have bought one straight away. 2203 in a similar 20w format would be the greatest thing ever on paper for my circumstance. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited January 2018
    They're designed to be more "Plexi" I think, Matt.  Chuck a boost in front 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited January 2018
    Yeah its more of a hot plexi thing. In the official demo on the Marshall youtube, the bit with the strat had the gain most of the way up I think - around 8 with the pull boost out. I think it has more gain than any JTM45 I've played, and more than the 2061x.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The one demo i watched yesterday the guy from marshall suggested it was a "lower" gain amp and in the demo it seemed to get to about jtm45 levels but don,t know if was maxed out.
  • Twinfan said:
    They're designed to be more "Plexi" I think, Matt.  Chuck a boost in front 
    That’s probably what I’ll do. Play it for a year and then move it on if they do something more like the 2203
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    If you're after 2203 tones, a Mini Jube is closer than an Origin by the sound of it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    photek said:

The DSL1 has an ECC82 as a ‘power valve’ the DSL5 uses an ECC99 rest have EL34’s.
    I take they are push-pull then rather than single ended.  That will probably help them sound more like a "proper" Marshall.