Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• Trude said:
    "An innovative new workflow feature in the GT-1000 is the ability to save any effect as a “Stompbox.” Parameter adjustments to a Stompbox are reflected in all patches where it’s used, basically mimicking the way you’d use physical pedals. This is ideal for effects where you use the same settings most of the time, but just need to make small adjustments occasionally. Now, you can make those changes quickly across multiple patches, eliminating the hassle of tweaking and saving each patch separately."

FUCKING YES!

This trumps everything else for me.  As long as it sounds decent, I can live with everything else.
    That is a great feature. What put me off the FX8 was how difficult it was to tweak parameters as you go: felt like trying to hack into the Pentagon grid. This, on the other hand, sounds very user-friendly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be an ME-1000 in the works in the future, all the effects on the GT1000 without the amp sims. Who knows.

Considering each one of the xx-500 series pedals is currently £300 I can't see how you could put all the same effects in a single unit much below the price of the GT-1000 without destroying any point in buying more than one xx-500.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Fair point, although...

- The Helix has solved the spillover problem with snapshots (which I actually prefer to low patch-switching latency now, even though I initially thought it was stupid).

- It's more reasonable to compare the Helix LT to the HD500X, given the similar feature jump from the GT-100 to the GT-1000. That makes it £349 -> £685 (using current prices). Also, the Helix is £999 now :)

The LT was a secondary product release some time after the original launch.

We have no way of knowing what other products Boss has planned.

It does kind of feel like the Helix users are looking for ways to justify why this can't be as good as a Helix, and nobody has really heard it yet.

With as much as we know, on paper it is looking good and particularly strong for effects, IMO anyway.
    I don't think so. 

I mean comparison is inevitable, they are competing products and I think that's all that's going on here. 
    Helix does that, Boss does that... like all things it's going to be about feature set vs sound vs price. Weighing up the pros and cons. with a healthy pointing out of misconceptions

The Boss also feels more like a competitor to LT vs Helix, (fewer i/o, no scribbles, price point etc)

I imagine as we go we'll learn more about how well the Boss features are implemented, crucially how good it sounds and whether or not Boss are going to join the update game.

Bottom line is - it's great (and long overdue) that boss have joined the frey, it's another option, looks like they have brought some new ideas to the table and some people will love this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Trude said:
    "An innovative new workflow feature in the GT-1000 is the ability to save any effect as a “Stompbox.” Parameter adjustments to a Stompbox are reflected in all patches where it’s used, basically mimicking the way you’d use physical pedals. This is ideal for effects where you use the same settings most of the time, but just need to make small adjustments occasionally. Now, you can make those changes quickly across multiple patches, eliminating the hassle of tweaking and saving each patch separately."

FUCKING YES!

This trumps everything else for me.  As long as it sounds decent, I can live with everything else.
    That's really cool.
    Yeah, that is cool but I would prefer that you could assign fx/models to a cluster. Then for any patch where that cluster is used, changes are global. I would not always need to alter all my patches that use a certain fx/model, maybe just some. Interested to see how this is implemented by Boss
  • There, bolded the relevant bits for you :) The PSU itself would rarely fail. The soldered-in cables are the main source of problems (as anybody who's had laptop power supply breakages would attest - including myself).

Are you really going to argue that the likelihood of an external power supply failing - cables included - is the same as the chance of an internal PSU failing?

I know the internal PSU would rarely fail so my use of 'internal PSU breaks' means 'unit that fucks up because of a power supply issue', which soldered in cables are part of etc etc. 

So the situation looks like this:

Boss unit + power supply issue during gig = use a spare PSU as you suggest and HURRAH ALL IS WELL. 

Internal PSU unit + power supply issue during gig = hmmm. One of those soldered in cables is no longer soldered in. How do we repair this one, Willis? Break out the soldering iron, get the torx screwdriver... 

Actually debating the points of power supplies wasn't my intention. It was more discussion of this notion of 'professional'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Might be an ME-1000 in the works in the future, all the effects on the GT1000 without the amp sims. Who knows.

Considering each one of the xx-500 series pedals is currently £300 I can't see how you could put all the same effects in a single unit much below the price of the GT-1000 without destroying any point in buying more than one xx-500.
    Yeah, 

I kind of wonder if boss now thing, 500 series + E series is the FX only option.
  • Trude said:

FUCKING YES!

That's really cool.
    Yeah, that is cool but I would prefer that you could assign fx/models to a cluster. Then for any patch where that cluster is used, changes are global. I would not always need to alter all my patches that use a certain fx/model, maybe just some. Interested to see how this is implemented by Boss

The Axe FX 2 has 10 global blocks. I don’t use them but my understanding is these stompbox FX will work the same way. So you can decide to use a global block (which would update across patches), or just an FX block (which would be unique per patch).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be an ME-1000 in the works in the future, all the effects on the GT1000 without the amp sims. Who knows.

Yeah, 

I kind of wonder if boss now thing, 500 series + E series is the FX only option.
    Well it’s arguably still a different market.

Not everyone wants an all in one solution. Many people still like to mix and match single pedals

Yeah, 

Good point.
  • Heartfeltdawn said:

If that looks dated, then the Fractal approach looks positively neanderthal.  
    I agree.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Don't think it looks bad at all, and I do like the size/weight compared to the Helix.  All comes down to how it sounds
  • I think it looks great and I think I'm gonna get one! 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Amazes me that being a Japanese (who as a country, make some beautiful things) company, how they manage to create such dated and uninspiring looking products.

The external PSU really misses the point, doesn't it.
    Have you been there?
    its like an 80s timewarp :)
    all working and very efficient but dated looking
  • Cabicular said:
    Amazes me that being a Japanese (who as a country, make some beautiful things) company, how they manage to create such dated and uninspiring looking products.

The external PSU really misses the point, doesn't it.
    Have you been there?
    its like an 80s timewarp :)
    all working and very efficient but dated looking

Imagine what a British multi-effects unit of this type would look like. The British Leyland EffectsAmp unit. Lovingly crafted in imitation wood trim...

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve never been but was being positive about the Japanese and their craft, mainly, just don’t subscribe to the majority of Boss designs, including this one...it’s ok for me to dislike it and for someone else not to.

My only experience is the care and attention to detail they put into some of the things I’ve collected over the years. And some art. So yeah, maybe that’s just a small misrepresentation of what it’s really like. Sorry.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Any idea of the release date in the U.K.?
  • I'm wondering is they have taken any learnings from the ES-8 into  account. The ES-8 is an amazing bit of kit that can take inputs from anywhere,  send midi to anything and switch pedals in any order as well as output in sterer and switch up to  4 external CTRL points.

It's missing a few things  (USB for one) , the editor was an afterthought and the UI is typical BOSS...mega quick when you get your head around it but "functional" would be kind. I'm hoping they  took some of that user feedback into account when  understanding what people want from  accessing that flexibility through a decent UI.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

Give it 8 months and it will probably be £100 cheaper.  Give it 18 months and it will probably be closer to £150 cheaper.

Wasn't the Helix around £1200 when it came out? Now it's £999.

I'm wondering is they have taken any learnings from the ES-8 into  account. The ES-8 is an amazing bit of kit that can take inputs from anywhere,  send midi to anything and switch pedals in any order as well as output in sterer and switch up to  4 external CTRL points.

It's missing a few things  (USB for one) , the editor was an afterthought and the UI is typical BOSS...mega quick when you get your head around it but "functional" would be kind. I'm hoping they  took some of that user feedback into account when  understanding what people want from  accessing that flexibility through a decent UI.
    Well, it has USB, Bluetooth and apps on launch - that alone is a huge improvement.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited January 2018
    Having an App is a massive improvement.