Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• Trude said:
    "Innovative Stompbox feature greatly simplifies using common effects settings in many different patches"

THIS is the killer feature for me, and it's the one thing I've been wanting in a MFX since I first got the GT-5.  If they've nailed GLOBAL effects settings that can be synced between multiple instances in patches then this could finally be the answer to all my previous MFX gripes and could allow me to ditch separate stomps.  This is the one missing feature that has prevented me from trying Helix, Ax8, Fx8, Headrush, all of them.

Fingers crossed...
    This would be a big thing for me, too.

The GT-100 lets me store several "favourite" versions of a pedal and it's settings - which is great. When you decide to load one into a patch it becomes 'frozen' within that patch. If I then go back to the favourite and change it slightly (maybe at a gig it isn't cutting through and I need to add some extra mids) I'll then need to go to every patch that uses it and reload the favourite setting back into those patches. Which is still better than having to adjust every every instance of that effect in every patch that uses it, but...

If I could have the patches dynamically load the latest version of my favourite so I only have to change it in one place, one time  and every patch would now be able to see that I'd changed the mid setting - that would be excellent. 
    +1
    That is interesting. This has been the main reason I have ended up getting sick of multi-fx units. I am always tweaking my settings and with multi-fx this means constantly changing every single patch you have made. Nice.

Why the shock on the price? I assumed the next GT pedal would be aiming at Helix / Headrush / AX8 territory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

The external PSU doesn't bother me in the slightest...all the GT-s before it had 'em and out of the GT5/6/8/10/100 it was NEVER a problem as in EVER.

But as most who own an Helix on here despite having a long history with the floor GT's (had 'em all bar the 3) it'd have to be a Helix killer for me to shell out that kind of money all over again. Now, I guess most that will buy this don't have a unit of this type. For me i'll look out with interest at many od the demo's and reviews when it comes out.

Go Boss!

• Trude said:
    "Innovative Stompbox feature greatly simplifies using common effects settings in many different patches"

+1
    That is interesting. This has been the main reason I have ended up getting sick of multi-fx units. I am always tweaking my settings and with multi-fx this means constantly changing every single patch you have made. Nice.

Why the shock on the price? I assumed the next GT pedal would be aiming at Helix / Headrush / AX8 territory.
    Because it’s Boss and you can buy used Boss drive pedals for less than £40.

Fractal Global blocks feature will do this too IIRC, though I don’t use it myself. I will have to have a look at it though 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914

Fractal Global blocks feature will do this too IIRC, though I don’t use it myself. I will have to have a look at it though 
    Yeah, but only on the full rack version - not the Ax8 / Fx8, which is the reason why I've never considered buying one. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here

• Why the shock on the price? I assumed the next GT pedal would be aiming at Helix / Headrush / AX8 territory.
    Because it’s Boss and you can buy used Boss drive pedals for less than £40. 
    Umm...

...you're right. It should be £40. Or maybe £60, coz it's new.
  • Trude said:

Yeah, but only on the full rack version - not the Ax8 / Fx8, which is the reason why I've never considered buying one. 
    That seems a bit daft.

I wonder if they’ll add it in later firmwares, especially since this has it.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Wonder how people who coughed up for the 500 fx series will feel about this.
  • clarkefan said:
    Wonder how people who coughed up for the 500 fx series will feel about this.
    Having purchased a md500 I really don't care. I just know that the modulation effects on both are fairly generic and nothing to get that excited about
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Wireless sound check is an awesome idea. I would love to be able to hear my guitar through the house and be able to make adjustments from there instead of running back to the stage and then back out to hear the change.
  • The Wireless sound check is an awesome idea. I would love to be able to hear my guitar through the house and be able to make adjustments from there instead of running back to the stage and then back out to hear the change.
    Huh. I was thinking of the Bluetooth thing as a home tweaking thing (and a bit of a gimmick TBH) but that's actually a really cool, usable feature. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    The Wireless sound check is an awesome idea. I would love to be able to hear my guitar through the house and be able to make adjustments from there instead of running back to the stage and then back out to hear the change.
    You have a stage in your house? You flash git! ;-)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2018
    FatPete said:
    That presumably doesn't include UK Customs duty!?

The price is £879 from Andertons....& that seems expensive! o   Boss has always been a little behind the curve on its amp modelling so this has got to be really stellar if it's going to be successful at this price point.  It's well known name and reputation for solid build and great effects is a help of course, but there are still those put off by its previous 'COSM' technology.  For those that just want effects, the AxF8 is a good candidate - but for Helix, Headrush, and GT1000 I suspect the amp modelling quality, ease of use, and IR capability are going to be key considerations. Boss are late to the party and personally I think they may have missed the boat with Line 6 Helix & LT so well bedded down. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/boss-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor-gt-1000

There's growing competition now on these 'flagship' MFX units - Helix, Helix LT, Headrush etc - so it's going to be interesting to see them slug it out and what price 'adjustments' might follow.  

One other observation - when I used the GT100 I really liked its dual display, which made it stand out a bit from the pack and was very functional.  The single screen is bigger, but I wonder if they've possibly missed a trick by not continuing its dual screen approach?  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    <snip>

One other observation - when I used the GT100 I really liked its dual display, which made it stand out a bit from the pack and was very functional.  The single screen is bigger, but I wonder if they've possibly missed a trick by not continuing its dual screen approach?  

Me too. I don't use the Tone Studio app to set up patches because it's so easy using the screens. It beats anything I've used before in that aspect. I can't comment on the Helix, Fractal or Kemper, but TC Nova and all the other Line 6 gear  I've owned was much less intuitive to dial in. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    On the upside, I'd bet that it has the internal LFO and envelope follower that the Helix desperately lacks.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just had a listen to the video clip on their site. Do people honestly think that sounds good? Genuine question. Sounds all kinds of average to these ears, I reckon I could tone match most of that with my Zoom G1on. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    dindude said:
    Just had a listen to the video clip on their site. Do people honestly think that sounds good?
    Of course not.

Manufacturer demos are meant to be rubbish. It's a tradition or an old charter or something.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Sporky said:
    dindude said:
    Just had a listen to the video clip on their site. Do people honestly think that sounds good?
    Of course not.

Manufacturer demos are meant to be rubbish. It's a tradition or an old charter or something.
    Very true!
  • Sporky said:
    dindude said:
    Of course not.

The demo is bland. With bland shredding that belongs on a razor advert. Get Andy from PGS or Just Nick to demo it. If Knobs were to demo it, he would make it sound like a broken ballerina music box played underwater. In a good way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    I think it sounds good in the demo.

Shame about the footswitches though. They seem to think everyone wants pseudo-3PDTs now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I like the size - this is what the helix lt should be imo (an ax8 mini would be great) but at that price I can’t see how they will sell.    
    Maybe I’m missing something but I think it’s going to be hard to persuade potential buyers to get this over the helix lt