Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• To be honest I think there is a certain trend of slagging off Boss products, just because they are Boss. 
    Every manufacturer gets that.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    just checked... no manual to download yet..
    looking forward to reading this
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

I doubt they have included EVERY SINGLE 500 series feature into it...it would detract from  the market of those product.

But you never know!

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Clarky said:
    100% nerd!! 
  • siraxeman said:
    Clarky said:
    100% nerd!! 
    IME you can learn far more about whether a product is worth your time and currency from the manual than you can from weeks asking random questions on forum threads.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    siraxeman said:
    Clarky said:
    100% nerd!! 
    IME you can learn far more about whether a product is worth your time and currency from the manual than you can from weeks asking random questions on forum threads.
    absolutely..
    I have very specific real-time control requirements
    the manual will reveal enough to enable me to determine if the unit is worth further investigation 
    it don't matter how good the unit sounds.. if it cannot meet my needs it's no good to me..
    which is exactly why I don't have a Diesel VH4 even though I absolutely adore the tones it produces

and even when the manual seems to tick the boxes, you're still never completely sure if this is the right unit until you get in there and start goofing around ..
    just like my experiences with the Helix..
    an excellent unit.. but just not quite excellent enough in the areas that matter most to me..

yes... 100% nerd.. but it saves a lot of time in the long run
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To be honest I think there is a certain trend of slagging off Boss products, just because they are Boss. 
    Some more so than others.  Look at the first comment in this thread.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t think it’s “because they’re Boss” at all. For me, it’s seeing how far we’ve come, design-wise, and I rarely see a new Boss product that doesn’t look dated (IMO). I think it’s that awful font (IMO) they insist on using, which puts me off this one.

That said, Clarky is correct, it should never be about looks with these things. I’m a massive fan of the way lots of Boss products sound.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Some more so than others.  Look at the first comment in this thread.  
    Do you own any of these companies?
    It's the internet dude. Home of the keyboard warrior and stupid opinions. There's no point getting out of shape over it all
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Another killer use-case would be rearranging your patches in set-list order with your phone, from the bar with a pint in one hand!  
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Can this  GT1000 order a pint from the bar whilst your setting up? And have it brought over to You? Thus skipping the bar queue.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Don't see why not, if the bar staff can accept MIDI commands over bluetooth

Trading feedback here
    beer before a gig??? tut tut..... lol..
    Clarky said:
    I need the anaesthetic effect, for some of the gigs I play....

Trading feedback here
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Trude said:i
    Clarky said:
    Funny...I was talking to your audience... and they said that they needed the anaesthetic effect for the same reason!  =) :3 :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Voxman said:
    Clarky said:
    Funny...I was talking to your audience... and they said that they needed the anaesthetic effect for the same reason!  3
    ok.. I get that they need to be pissed before I play...
    but not me.. cos I is a prffeshnal

EDIT: the truth is that after a beer I can't count beyond 4..
    which is not ideal when you're playing in 17.. lol..
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    Tell you were I'm at with this....for me, Boss has it all to play for. I plan to buy one unless there's some major chinks in the armour.

I've looked closely at Helix since release and nearly pushed the button. Boss is first in line for me though... I'm older and always trusted Boss. My Katana still amazes me so God knows what the GT1000 might be like into my valve amps. Its got two pedal inputs so I can use my Supa Puss delay and Prince of Tone drive... that's all I need be able to input.

I think I like the industrial design of the GT better than Helix. I don't want the color screen of the Helix...I won't be doing mad configurations.

Wonder if the GT could be run off a chunky Cioks etc power supply?

Hope this things good as if its left to Boss and Line 6 to slug it out at this end of the market we're in good hands. 
  • andyoz said:
    Tell you were I'm at with this....for me, Boss has it all to play for. I plan to buy one unless there's some major chinks in the armour.

I've looked closely at Helix since release and nearly pushed the button. Boss is first in line for me though... I'm older and always trusted Boss. My Katana still amazes me so God knows what the GT1000 might be like into my valve amps. Its got two pedal inputs so I can use my Supa Puss delay and Prince of Tone drive... that's all I need be able to input.

I think I like the industrial design of the GT better than Helix. I don't want the color screen of the Helix...I won't be doing mad configurations.

Wonder if the GT could be run off a chunky Cioks etc power supply?

Hope this things good as if its left to Boss and Line 6 to slug it out at this end of the market we're in good hands. 
    I'd make a decision once you've heard both. 
    I'd also suggest checking how easy that boss thing will be to use. The ms3 and the 500 series are a menu driven ballache. 
    Voxman said:
    Clarky said:
    Funny...I was talking to your audience... and they said that they needed the anaesthetic effect for the same reason!  =) :3 :)
    They can talk?  Who knew!!?

Trading feedback here
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    I think the 6000 posts in the Helix thread scares me a bit. It's either really good or really complicated!!!

I just want something I can turn On and get about a dozen nice sounds (like Katana).  I'm guessing Boss might deliver that better than the others but could be wrong