Vintage Guitars

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    i had a sg junior icon thingy, it was great but not as good as a similar gordon smith so i got rid, i got rid of the gordon smith too when i tried a similar specced PRS lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s here and I’m extremely impressed; NGD on the way 
  • Blimey, it’s a good guitar

https://i.imgur.com/GVeAhbk.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @MagicPigDetective That is stunning!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• What I am curious about is Harley Benton... their Les Paul copies have the same neck carve, same Wilkinson hardware and do the same 'Paradise Amber' finish. I am wondering if these are out of the same factory and may buy one to find out how comparable to Vintage they are!
    Henning Pauly, who works closely with Thomann says yes, they are all but the same guitar from the same factory. Go to 28:30 on this video.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Three-ColourSunburst I can never make it that far through one of his videos! That's interesting to know... some bargains to be had by going Harley Benton then!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited March 2018
    @Three-ColourSunburst I can never make it that far through one of his videos! That's interesting to know... some bargains to be had by going Harley Benton then!
    Some interesting snippets of info in the video in the other thread I put up about the new generation Harley Bentons. The head QC guy talks about why the Harley Benton models are moving over to Roswell pickups, rather than Wilkinson ones. He said when they were doing some QC strip-downs of the guitars because the sound wasn't what they expected they kept finding that the Wilkinson pickups were actually fakes, with the problem probably being with the supplier rather than the guitar manufacturer.

It all goes to show how much control is needed if a far-eastern manufactured guitar is to be 'right'. Apparently Thomann have found it much easier to keep control of the supply of Roswell pickups, hence the change.

It does make one wonder if Vintage have had the same issue.

Edit. 13:20 in this video.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Useful information, cheers all!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    Through a miracle of poor organisation on my part, I'm not getting to the Guitar Show this weekend, which is a shame as Vintage Guitars were apparently there.

Now I might be wrong here but these seem to be ridiculous bargains, the ones that caught my eye included

https://vintageguitarsus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/V72FTB-1.jpg

and

https://vintageguitarsus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/V6HPFCB-1.jpg

What's the catch with these, seriously?

BTW: I know I'm posting a lot of GAS threads, I need to sell some before I can buy more according to the wife! :angry: 
    Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but did you go for any VIntage guitars in the end? I bought the V72, the first pic in your original post, and love it. I may upgrade the neck pickup in time but apart from that I love mine. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    If it matters, Midge Ure was playing his Vintage Lemon Drop when I saw him playing at a festival earlier this year.

When he was doing some solo improvisation with it, the tone was shockingly awful. Whether that was the guitar or what he was running it through, I have no idea - although I suspect the latter is more likely.

But I doubt anyone really cared - when the band was playing it was OK, and everyone had a great time!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11904
    joetele said:
    Through a miracle of poor organisation on my part, I'm not getting to the Guitar Show this weekend, which is a shame as Vintage Guitars were apparently there.

Now I might be wrong here but these seem to be ridiculous bargains, the ones that caught my eye included

and

BTW: I know I'm posting a lot of GAS threads, I need to sell some before I can buy more according to the wife! :angry: 
    Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but did you go for any VIntage guitars in the end? I bought the V72, the first pic in your original post, and love it. I may upgrade the neck pickup in time but apart from that I love mine. 
    Not purchased any yet, want to get my paws on some in a dealer and develop an opinion on their playability before I blind-buy.

The fact I hear nothing but good things on here will one day twist my hand.  I currently have a Fender Mexi Strat from 2003 that I just plain don't like.  I wonder if the V6H might turn out to be the Stratty-axe that makes me like Strats?  Or am I a Lester man til I die?!?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    edited October 2018
    joetele said:

and

BTW: I know I'm posting a lot of GAS threads, I need to sell some before I can buy more according to the wife! angry 
    Not purchased any yet, want to get my paws on some in a dealer and develop an opinion on their playability before I blind-buy.

The fact I hear nothing but good things on here will one day twist my hand.  I currently have a Fender Mexi Strat from 2003 that I just plain don't like.  I wonder if the V6H might turn out to be the Stratty-axe that makes me like Strats?  Or am I a Lester man til I die?!?
    I've got a Mexican Tele from 2003 but I lucked out and got a beauty, the only thing I've changed is the pickups. Best neck I've ever played. 

The Vintage V72 Tele I've got is definitely on a par with the Mex Tele for build quality. The neck just feels different, not better or worse. I had spied a few online for half the RRP but I had no idea of the condition or whether I'd get a 'good' one - but the local music shop down the road had one which I played quite a lot. I was originally looking for a backup to the main Mex Tele, and the fact it was semihollow with slightly different neck pickup intrigued me even more. Plus the proper ashtray bridge and brass saddles make it sound way more like a proper Telecaster than the standard bridge on my Mexican Fender one (which is OK - I use it for more modern sounds anyway). 

I really enjoyed playing the V72 and agreed to buy it at a decent price reduction - they set it up to my spec with some new strings for free too. Definitely worth trying to find them in store, I'd say. My local shop still has a couple of Vintage LPs too - if I hadn't gone for the Ibanez ARZ200 LP I'd probably have been tempted. 

Re strats, maybe try Vintage's V6? 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3040
    edited October 2018
    I've had the V100 Lemon Drop for a few months now and have found it to be a fantastic guitar after setting up right, I find the neck very easy to play, great finish, no flaws, sound is deep and mellow. A disclaimer though; I have not played many proper Les Pauls to compare it with. At the moment I am more than happy with the Lemon Drop, it's a great yin to my strat's yang.