Anyone over 40 still skateboarding (or restarted)?

What's Hot

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting topic.

My best purchase were padded shorts to protect my lower spine and hips. 
    Something like this or more substantial again?

Hmm, mine defo have more pads than shorts. I can't remember where I got them now though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to be able to do a pop shove it 360... But that was in my teens.

Since then I've broken 21 bones and had 136 stitches, mostly sport / climbing related. 

If I took up skateboarding again I'd expect to double both numbers within a month. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I used to be able to do a pop shove it 360... But that was in my teens.

Since then I've broken 21 bones and had 136 stitches, mostly sport / climbing related. 

If I took up skateboarding again I'd expect to double both numbers within a month. 
    I don't skate anymore mind you, major spinal surgery in 2016 means that I would be very foolish to go back to it.

It was great fun while it lasted, but you will get injured, there's no avoiding it. You can get away most of the time with minor scrapes and bruises, it's just that one time when it all goes wrong that causes the damage.

Also, LEARN TO KNEE SLIDE! Never try running our of a wipe out!

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Ossyrocks said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting topic.

Hmm, mine defo have more pads than shorts. I can't remember where I got them now though.
    These are perhaps more the thing

Ossyrocks said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting topic.

These are perhaps more the thing

If you put them on backwards you will certainly impress the ladies in the park...........

Mine are padded all round but still slim enough to fit under a pair of baggy shorts. Those do look like they will do the job, but do look bulky.

Rob.
    Ossyrocks said:

Buy the best pads and helmet you can afford, and DO NOT get on a board without wearing them. 

I also need to be setting an example to the 7yo so should be regardless
    Had my first skateboarding session in probably 25 years yesterday (exist in Swansea), didn’t embarrass myself too much and was surprisingly still capable and balancing pretty well. Nothing too daring just carving around, kick turns, rock and rolls on a small quarter pipe and a bit of pumping on the mini ramp. Even managed a small Ollie! Amazing muscle memory isn’t it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    Had my first skateboarding session in probably 25 years yesterday (exist in Swansea), didn’t embarrass myself too much and was surprisingly still capable and balancing pretty well. Nothing too daring just carving around, kick turns, rock and rolls on a small quarter pipe and a bit of pumping on the mini ramp. Even managed a small Ollie! Amazing muscle memory isn’t it?
    Transitions on the first day back! 

How did it feel, sketchy or controlled?

Rob
    Ossyrocks said:
    Transitions on the first day back! 

How did it feel, sketchy or controlled?

Rob
    Surprisingly controlled, I seemed to slip straight back into an unconsciously competent state with the basic stuff. 

My body might be 20+ years older but I also have 20+ years experience multi tasking so it all clicked really easily. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

A bandmate had an afternoon on a longboard after not skateboarding for some years, snapped both achilles tendons!
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:

A bandmate had an afternoon on a longboard after not skateboarding for some years, snapped both achilles tendons!
    That’s horrific! 

I don’t skate anymore now, I had my fair share of tumbles and injuries, including broken bones. 

My my last visit to A&E, wearing all my skate gear including padded shorts was rather amusing.

”How did you do this?”

Errr, skateboarding.....

”How old are you?”

Errr, 42?

The look the nurse gave me was priceless.

Rob
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    42 this year and skate on and off...the older my kids get the more I will get into it. I do enough these days to maintain some of my skills...Ollies...no comply’s...shoveits...grinds and railslides...my tricks have not progressed since the 90’s...And I’m not really planning on getting any better. I’d be happy to skate with my kids in the next few years when they’re old enough...before they find a group of friends and no longer want me around.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I did some semi pro demo stuff in the late 70s as a teenager and only recently gave away my last Alva/Tracker/Red Kryptonics board. 

A few years ago I lost that fine element of balance I used to have, and stopped when gigging became my primary source of income. 

Anyone over 50 who says motorcycles are more dangerous than skateboards is crazy, trust me, you won't bounce off concrete like you used to. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    I saved and saved and saved in the 70s for my red YOYO wheels, my California Slalom trucks and riser pads.
    never could afford a good deck. 

My brother put a G&S deck on it in the late 90s and “lent” it to one of his nephews and I never saw it again

i honestly think I would be more dangerous on that than a motorbike 

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    paganskins said:i
    I just started a thread on "skateboards??" Looking for advice on getting a second hand one. I like most on here the a few 360s back in the day and like the OP my son has just got a board and I want to join him. Looking for something to cruise on, no half pipes for me! Have you got any tips on what to look for and what to avoid?

I just started a thread on "skateboards??" Looking for advice on getting a second hand one. I like most on here the a few 360s back in the day and like the OP my son has just got a board and I want to join him. Looking for something to cruise on, no half pipes for me! Have you got any tips on what to look for and what to avoid?
    There's a buy and sell area on the Middle Aged Shred forum (other non-geriatric skateboard forums also available!), also the Middle Aged Shred Facebook group has for sale posts.

As to advice I've just recreated something similar to the setup I was using when as I stopped skating as a teen, most of it came from our local skate shop new (shop local and all that). I was lucky with most of it but am on my third set of wheels before settling on something that works at our local skatepark and should be OK for street.

I'm actually back riding ramps and doing (fairly basic) tricks so went for a popsicle deck and trucks/wheels that are suitable for street and park/ramps. For cruising I expect you'd need bigger, softer wheels and deck wise something wider and possible retro shaped. Might be worth looking into longboards too but I don't know much about them sorry.

I'd suggest joining the fairly quiet MAS forum and the busier MAS Facebook group, you should be able to pick up everything you need second hand and get loads of advice.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529

There's a buy and sell area on the Middle Aged Shred forum (other non-geriatric skateboard forums also available!), also the Middle Aged Shred Facebook group has for sale posts.

As to advice I've just recreated something similar to the setup I was using when as I stopped skating as a teen, most of it came from our local skate shop new (shop local and all that). I was lucky with most of it but am on my third set of wheels before settling on something that works at our local skatepark and should be OK for street.

I'm actually back riding ramps and doing (fairly basic) tricks so went for a popsicle deck and trucks/wheels that are suitable for street and park/ramps. For cruising I expect you'd need bigger, softer wheels and deck wise something wider and possible retro shaped. Might be worth looking into longboards too but I don't know much about them sorry.

I'd suggest joining the fairly quiet MAS forum and the busier MAS Facebook group, you should be able to pick up everything you need second hand and get loads of advice.
    Thanks for that - need to gen up on my knowledge first as I have no clue what I am buying.  There are a few local to my work on GT, but not sure what is good value..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/house-clearance/pegdownhill-skateboard/1296732470
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/kids-skateboards/sk8board-for-sale-/1297007211
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/skates-skateboards/longboard-cruiser-skateboard/1296839637

Thanks for that - need to gen up on my knowledge first as I have no clue what I am buying.  There are a few local to my work on GT, but not sure what is good value..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/house-clearance/pegdownhill-skateboard/1296732470
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/kids-skateboards/sk8board-for-sale-/1297007211
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/skates-skateboards/longboard-cruiser-skateboard/1296839637

The 2nd one is the sort of thing I'm using and looks a good price but not really what you're looking for.

See if you can find reviews for the first and third ones, the 3rd sounds like quite an established make so should be some reviews out there for it.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I’m not doing ramps or big tricks either...so I got myself a reissue of Hosoi board...new style shape and double kick but wider than normal and I got some wide indie trucks and big soft wheels...I can still do a few tricks but good for cruising too