Anyone over 40 still skateboarding (or restarted)?

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    nice koss !!  i still have mine too  blue 70mm kryps and acs 580's ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    The Sims looks awesome @mattdavis
    If it were me I would keep that as a display/sentimental board and buy something new for riding. So much choice out there nowadays so you can have pretty much anything you like shape wise.
    I re-started a little over a year ago at age 43. I was crap in the '80's and I'm still crap now, but I love the simple pleasure of rolling on a board, carving on a bank or transition. Old age, a bit too much ballast and a back injury mean impact stuff is off the menu but I still enjoy myself. I just go to the parks when the kids are either in bed or school and it means I get the place to myself. A longboard to take for a cruise when kids are up and about is a good addition.
    MAS forum is quite quiet but still a good source for info and stoke. The Facebook page is a bit chaotic at times but still OK for a peek every now and again.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    fftc said:
    The Sims looks awesome @mattdavis
    If it were me I would keep that as a display/sentimental board and buy something new for riding. So much choice out there nowadays so you can have pretty much anything you like shape wise.
    I re-started a little over a year ago at age 43. I was crap in the '80's and I'm still crap now, but I love the simple pleasure of rolling on a board, carving on a bank or transition. Old age, a bit too much ballast and a back injury mean impact stuff is off the menu but I still enjoy myself. I just go to the parks when the kids are either in bed or school and it means I get the place to myself. A longboard to take for a cruise when kids are up and about is a good addition.
    MAS forum is quite quiet but still a good source for info and stoke. The Facebook page is a bit chaotic at times but still OK for a peek every now and again.
    Great advice and inspiration. Feel like a bit of a tool - but, well - fuck it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    Which is the embarrassing bit? That looks awesome :)
    Absolutely - all in the mind

mattdavis said:
    I am so chuffed to have found my old board at my mum's place. I might even go so far as to say "i'm stoked'. Its really rather 'rad', perhaps even every so slightly 'sick'. 
    My 1988 Sims Staab will ride again! I however will most likely end up in hospital or confined to my room by my embarassed son.
    Needs a clean up and I may remove the pretentious magazine stickers.

That’s wicked, have a wow!

Just ended my skating year at a New Years session at our local with my kid. 

Also finally relearnt kick flips tonight, well landed three very sketchily! Pleased with that :)
    That sounds like a brilliant way to end the year. Congrats!
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I know this is rollerblading and not skateboarding but a lot to be gained from watching this video.

Did my first Ollie in 30 years today! Damn good fun! Amazed the board didn’t snap. 
    This could be fun.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been persuaded to skateboard up to the high street - for the first time in about 28 years - encouraged by my 7 year old daughter not to worry about what people think. 7 year old daughters are cool!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited February 2019
    I used to have a sims staab 'genie'. Quick Google says £880 for a clean one now!

Indie trucks, t-bone wheels, NSK bearings. 

BTW the wheels shouldn't spin freely (when you spin with your hand). Not if the bearings are any good. Should be sealed and packed with grease. Thin oil will just flush out any grease and leave them dry. I had to buy some bearings recently for my son's scooter. Much better than the ones that came with it. Much quieter, smoother, faster and less pushing to keep you moving. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited February 2019
    With some of these old boards I would take the wheels off and (rubber bit only, not the bearings!) stick them in some hot soapy water. Should bring some life back to them, make them a bit more sticky. A scrubbing brush and soapy water for grip tape too. Just don't soak the board. 
  • Also practicing your ollies indoors on a thick carpet/rug is good (better half might disagree!), board not as likely to fly off from under your feet and softer landing.  :)
  • Sk8 or b [  ] !! 
  • @LastMantra ;Any suggestions as to a good modern deck - mainly for cruising - few ollies  etc. I’m completely out of touch with modern brands. They all seem to be a bit smaller than the old school decks. 
  • Yeah, they do seem to be smaller these days. Check out Skatehut or Skakepro (and others) for cruisers. They have some old school type boards. Usually give sizes too. Get some decent trucks and softer wheels for street stuff. Good luck!
  • Cheers mate
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    mattdavis said:
    @LastMantra Any suggestions as to a good modern deck - mainly for cruising - few ollies  etc. I’m completely out of touch with modern brands. They all seem to be a bit smaller than the old school decks. 
    Always found this website to have a good selection and decent prices and service. https://www.routeone.co.uk/skateboards/cruisers
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I'm not over 40 yet but over 30 and do a bit of skateboarding. Mrs _M came out with me today for her first go on a skateboard and really enjoyed it. Just bought her a board so we can go together to the park when the weather gets better. Very pleased!
    Simon_M said:
    I'm not over 40 yet but over 30 and do a bit of skateboarding. Mrs _M came out with me today for her first go on a skateboard and really enjoyed it. Just bought her a board so we can go together to the park when the weather gets better. Very pleased!
    @Simon_M  What board are you riding? Been told my 80s Sims deck should probably be preserved for posterity so looking for a new one. Been doing some interwebbing and think of a Palace 8.25 and some Indy 144 trucks. Probably get some softer wheels for my ailing spine. 
    Cheers
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I’m currently riding an 8” Death Skateboards deck (UK brand) with 5” Royal trucks and mini logo 52s. They’re pretty hard wheels at 101 but you could get some 95s if you want to get something softer to reduce impact. You could also add some soft riser pads under the trucks to soften impact. They’re only like £4 for a pair.

Just bought the Mrs an 8.25” with 5.25” Tensor trucks and 53s. Good all round set up with a little extra size all round to make it more stable and more comfortable. Got her some riser pads too.

If you’re mainly going to cruise around get some larger diameter wheels and a softer compound. They’ll roll smoothly and more comfortable over the bumps. If you’re getting on the tricks again or doing some bigger ramps then something smaller and harder will accelerate quicker, good for pumping and getting fast ready for a grind or set.

INDY 144s are nice and wide and will be very stable but if you want to turn a bit faster and reduce wheel bite on looser trucks then yoy
    could go down a bit in width to 139s. I prefer a narrower truck but a few mm probably won’t make a huge difference.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Bumping this thread, my son (9 years old) for in to scooters over the summer, and in an effort to encourage him, I joined him. However with the influence of a few people that hang around my work place, he's now big in to skateboarding.

So, I'm 41, never could skateboard (could roller skate and surf well in my younger days), is there any point in buying myself a board?