Anyone over 40 still skateboarding (or restarted)?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    @paganskins still skating?

Went for my first roll around in over 20 years today. I was sweating!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    gusman2x said:
    @paganskins still skating?

Went for my first roll around in over 20 years today. I was sweating!
    Absolutely, though not currently due to big slam last weekend :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4541
    The slams are what's stopping me from riding again.. dont think my body could take a hangup anymore
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I'm doing a bit of longboarding at the moment, bit easier on the frame.

I mostly took it up as snowboarding substitute as I couldn't get away much.. I've seen some of the lush boards are meant to move like a snowboard so I'm intrigued, but they come at quite a hefty price. 

I was pleased to still have an Ollie (albeit a LOT smaller than the old days). Surprised how hard I’ve found it to Ollie while moving. Landed a shuvit lol. Claimed a static heelflip, but it was questionable. 

Think I’m going to go to Projekt MCR soon. I think rolling around and loosening up is more important now than frustrating myself too much on tricks. 

Man I was sweating!
    LuttiS said:

I mostly took it up as snowboarding substitute as I couldn't get away much.. I've seen some of the lush boards are meant to move like a snowboard so I'm intrigued, but they come at quite a hefty price. 

Funny, that’s why I took up skating in 94. I grew up in fort William, and was frustrated during the 45 weeks of the year there was no snow!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4541
    Hell yeah for the heelflip
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    JAYJO said:
    Groovy Gang has a new member.
    Like this?

As far as a mid-life crisis go it's safer and cheaper than motorbiking and highly preferable to becoming a MAMIL so I stand by my decision  B)
    Cheaper not necessarily safer ,it’s so easy to injure yourself on skateboards 
    I gave up around age 53 but recently bought a new cheaply with Rita clouds for cruising on , I’m itching to go to the local concrete park I’m right shit at skating but had been doing it since 10 years old ,just love it ,but love guitar more ,last time I went to the concrete park had a great time but nearly broke finger on way home lol , love it though 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 369
    I saw Tony Alva skate at Guildford, and Mark Baker from Brighton. It was the late 70's or early 80's.

My best mate and I used to steam bend 10mm ply, after having begged the machine operators in our local DIY place, in the small village to saw out our deck shapes. We'd then glue 10 inch sheets of coarse black sandpaper to the top, after drilling the truck holes and trimming the waste off.
    We'd then decorate them underneath.

I brought one of my old boards back from my Mums years ago and left it in the garage. It wasn't the home made deck. It was a Benjyboard white lightning with OJ's and California Slalom trucks.

Despite it being riddled with woodworm, I was still able to tic tac and do a 360 on a very uneven surface at 54 despite not having ridden since the 80's.

I'm 56 now and don't think it's a good idea for me but I still love the idea of it.
    My best mate and I lived in Dog Town, south east village and they are very happy memories.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 2023
    me mates brother does (lives in Crediton / Exeter)  hes 57 now , uses a long board mostly,  so distance stuff not tricks !!  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.