Am I mental ?

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    they do say you're more likely to die in an accident driving to the airport than you are in a plane crash.

erm, how many points do you have?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Emp_Fab said:
    Mrs Fab has been amazing.  When I realised there was possibly a path for me after all, with the advent of the new colour-vision test, she was the first person I consulted.  Her first words were “Why don’t you do it? - you’ve got the money now.”

To be fair, it is something that is playing on my mind as this would affect her hugely.  As much as she is behind me, I have to factor in her future too when weighing up the odds of my success.
    Assuming I get past the medical hurdles (which, as I’ve said is no way guaranteed), I have to then do a lot of research to try to establish my realistic chances of getting a job.  I know I wouldn’t be able to walk in to, say, Virgin Atlantic and before I knew it I was in a new 747 en-route to Bermuda.  It would be very much at the other end of the scale, perhaps Air Namibia flying freight, at night, between remote provincial fields in a rusty 727 with duct-tape holding most of it together.
    Beggars and choosers etc.

If it looked like my odds are small of even achieving that job then I would have to realise that it would be a complete waste of money and give up.  I may be happy to chase my dream but not if there’s more chance of me becoming the next King of Norway than of success!
    It's fantastic that Mrs Fab is being so supportive.

Go get the medical and go from there.  If at any point it becomes unfeasible then at least you'll know that you took it as far as you could. 

Best of luck with it.  As much as I like my job I just kind of fell into it without having any real idea of what I wanted to do and I do sometimes wonder if there's something out there that I would get more fulfilment from.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28386
    You could build yourself a zeppelin!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sporky said:
    You could build yourself a zeppelin!
    where would he find a large and abundant source of hot air?

18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    If there's any chance you could avoid piloting BA2052 and 2053 London to Nassau this November, that would be fine.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    If there's any chance you could avoid piloting BA2052 and 2053 London to Nassau this November, that would be fine.
    I think that’s a safe bet...
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Yep... you’re safe Chilli.  Not even the fastest course could get me ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAHU AKBAR!! DEATH TO INFIDELS!!...  sorry...  could get me qualified by then.

I’m going to have to work on that little bit of Tourette’s there.  It might not help at an interview.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh come on...  I’m 54 in a fortnight.  It’s time to shit, or get off the pot, as they say.
    I'm 54 too.

I can't tell if this thread is a piss take or not. 

I hope it is. 
    Absolutely not a piss take squire.  All my life I’ve wanted this more than the air in my lungs.  Now the planets have aligned where I might have a small, possible chance to go for it whereas previously it’s been an unequivocal, non-negotiable bar from even trying.  Why would I not grab the opportunity with every fibre of my being and give it my best shot?  You’re a long time dead as they say.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Emp_Fab said:
    Mrs Fab has been amazing.  When I realised there was possibly a path for me after all, with the advent of the new colour-vision test, she was the first person I consulted.  Her first words were “Why don’t you do it? - you’ve got the money now.”

To be fair, it is something that is playing on my mind as this would affect her hugely.  As much as she is behind me, I have to factor in her future too when weighing up the odds of my success.
    Assuming I get past the medical hurdles (which, as I’ve said is no way guaranteed), I have to then do a lot of research to try to establish my realistic chances of getting a job.  I know I wouldn’t be able to walk in to, say, Virgin Atlantic and before I knew it I was in a new 747 en-route to Bermuda.  It would be very much at the other end of the scale, perhaps Air Namibia flying freight, at night, between remote provincial fields in a rusty 727 with duct-tape holding most of it together.
    Beggars and choosers etc.

If it looked like my odds are small of even achieving that job then I would have to realise that it would be a complete waste of money and give up.  I may be happy to chase my dream but not if there’s more chance of me becoming the next King of Norway than of success!
    That’s good that your wife is supporting you like that. I still think you’re mad, but good luck with it all anyway.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh come on...  I’m 54 in a fortnight.  It’s time to shit, or get off the pot, as they say.
    I'm 54 too.

I can't tell if this thread is a piss take or not. 

I hope it is. 
    Absolutely not a piss take squire.  All my life I’ve wanted this more than the air in my lungs.  Now the planets have aligned where I might have a small, possible chance to go for it whereas previously it’s been an unequivocal, non-negotiable bar from even trying.  Why would I not grab the opportunity with every fibre of my being and give it my best shot?  You’re a long time dead as they say.
    The older I've become, the more risk averse I am. Time is of the essence to put right mistakes. 

To have the means to live with some ease and comfort for the foreseeable future is a dream of many. Sounds to me that you're no stranger to hard times, here's an opportunity to live easier, and dare I say it simpler. 

My peace has been hard earned, all internal peace is. If I could have bought it, I would. I've had enough "adventures". 

The majority of my life is behind me, but I firmly believe the best years of my life are to come.

Measure twice, cut once, in all things. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Emp_Fab said: 
    Yep... you’re safe Chilli.  Not even the fastest course could get me ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAHU AKBAR!! DEATH TO INFIDELS!!...  sorry...  could get me qualified by then.

I’m going to have to work on that little bit of Tourette’s there.  It might not help at an interview.
    .... Or on a social media background check.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You do know my actual name isn’t “Emperor Fabulous” don’t you ?  =)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 

Good point. What if prospective employers stumble across this place?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 

then we're all fucked

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 

For the second time....  MY REAL NAME IS *NOT* "EMPEROR FABULOUS" !!  How is anyone going to make a connection between my made up name "Emperor Fabulous" and my real name "Kevin Suissi D'Almanyac" ?  I'm hardly going to apply for a job as "Emp_Fab" am I now ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Emp_Fab said:
    sinbaadi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 

For the second time....  MY REAL NAME IS *NOT* "EMPEROR FABULOUS" !!  How is anyone going to make a connection between my made up name "Emperor Fabulous" and my real name "Kevin Suissi D'Almanyac" ?  I'm hardly going to apply for a job as "Emp_Fab" am I now ?

Well it would certainly make you stand out at interview... :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm hardly going to apply for a job as "Emp_Fab" am I now ?
    You did here.

And anyway, your online persona will be revealed in the background checks that are completed long before you even get into the seat (behind the desk in the classroom, let alone in the plane) ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    sinbaadi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 

Well, no. But someone off here might grass you up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm hardly going to apply for a job as "Emp_Fab" am I now ?
    You did here.

And anyway, your online persona will be revealed in the background checks that are completed long before you even get into the seat (behind the desk in the classroom, let alone in the plane) ...
    What??  Have you been on the tinfoil hat forum again? ...or the homebrew?

How on earth can anyone make a link between my real name and my nom-de-plume on here?