Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    by the looks of things... I will be up on 17:02 by crimbo...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And we'll be on 18.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DOHH ! ! !
  • FW18 has bacon sandwich mode.  But it is time limited.  If you don't upgrade fast enough me and Chris will eat your sandwiches.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Om nom nom, @Clarky. We're coming for your baconie treats.
  • Just found out that FW 18 has sauce matching in the bacon sandwich mode. It has Heinz and Daddies Tomato Sauce, as well as HP.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this AxeFX really so great?
    Complicated?
    Never really checked it out.
  • AFX and Kempers are both good.  The AFX if more complex and more menu driven, while the Kemper is more immediate (with front pannel knobs and such).   The Kemper needs profiles - so you either need to take them yourself (meaning you need access to the amps) or rely on presets or downloaded profiles others have taken.  A l;ot of people love it, but thats not for me.  The AFX allows you to create the tone in your head - BUT may take some tweeking to get there.  Its much deeper if you want it to be - the FX are much better and the routing is pretty much unlimited - anything you want where ever you want.

Both aim to get the sound of a mic'd up cab though, which is NOT the same as having an amp if front of you.  The AFX (IMO) does a better job at emulating a real amp when partnered with a real power amp and cab, but by all accounts the Kemper is getting better at that.

Neither are really as good as a top quality amp (the top end of the tree that is), provided that amp sounds and reacts how you want it top.  Both are as good (IMO) as medium and lower tier amps   (although money doesnt say it all - pretty much anything sub £1500, and most sub £2000).

In YOUR Case - as you are used to modelling amps really - and havent owned a valve amp (from my reading of your posts) - you would be blown away by either.  Those used to real valve amps (particular vintage or high quality ones) sometimes find the transition hard - and give up, or just cant live with them.

As to the actual question you asked - YES.
    Is this AxeFX really so great?
    Complicated?
    Never really checked it out.
    yes it really is superb
    no it don't need to be complicated at all.. it's all down to you and what you want out of your presets

once you get familiar with it, you can make it do some very clever stuff..
    finished the album about 30 minutes ago.. YAAAAAAYYY ! ! ! !
    so I'm hoping to be up on 17 in a day or so..
  • @ThomasRoss, I've successfully auditioned for a band tonight and I've been getting positive feedback on my sound.  The band features guys who've paid there dues, and they thought I was good enough in attitude, playing and sound to work with them.  I use a AF2 with a Matrix power amp and a Marshall 4x12.

I don't do much of the deep editing, as I like to keep things simple, but it's nice to know that I can mod an amp if I need to get a bit more cods out of it.

I wouldn't get too excited about going FRFR. Real cabs good enough. I'm not saying that I don't use FRFR; however, you just don't look right playing Motörhead through a 12" wedge, no matter how good it is. 

@Clarky, so are you going to bed, or are you up 'til half four in the Amp Lab? ;)
  • A Marshall 4x12 Chris????  When did that happen.  
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2014
    About a couple of weeks ago. I love my two FRFR cabs, but they just do not look the part for a metal band. Besides, the 4x12 only cost £133.

I know that if this was the FAS forum I'd be getting flak (again) for saying "You can use whatever you like" because, 'technically', FRFR is the better solution. (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/90128-my-search-perfect-live-sound-need-help.html#post1086269)

@PaulMapp8306, are you disgusted that I didn't get Atomic CFRs?
  • @PaulMapp and @Clarky, may I ask how much deep editing do you use for getting the best out of your amp/cab combination?
    @PaulMapp and @Clarky, may I ask how much deep editing do you use for getting the best out of your amp/cab combination?
    I do almost none.. just the speaker res turned down to around 50Hz to 80Hz to prevent the 4x12 cabs from booming..
    everything else is basic menu stuff..
    simple works just fine for me
    @Clarky, so are you going to bed, or are you up 'til half four in the Amp Lab? ;)
    haa.. no.. I will later today tho
  • I upgraded to 17 the other day.

I have no clue if it made the amps sound better as my main patches were designed around my CU22 and I've just swapped the pickups anyway.

But in terms of workflow - much nicer to have a dynamic EQ page (I do like dynamic depth with some amps) and being able to scroll EQs means I've actually tried them out for once.  The Mark EQ goes well with a lot of amps and can help make for some nice and fast tweaks to home volume stuff.

Not tried running DI and using the mic pre sims yet.
  • Chris, no issue with your cab choice. I'm still using my zila.

As for deep editing, I don't do much either. I trued to get the tone of my fender machete last weekend, and did some deep editing. changed the power amp clip type to soft, and reduced the dynamic damping. Also played with dynamic presence and used the eq page in the amp menu. That was about it.
    this afternoon I hit 17.02..
    now I'm on 17.03… lmao

fkn awesome… loving this..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh bum pumps. You beat me to it. LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom