WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Ironically England losing the dead rubber game yesterday has brought their odds in to around 7/1, pretty much the same as Belgium now, 4th favourites.

Columbia around 22/1, so the bookies obviously fancy England to progress past them.

Japan out at around 150/1, confirmation that Belgium have the far easier team in the next round, but also confirmation England are expected to beat Columbia and also that the more difficult route Belgium have has brought the teams closer in odds.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

I don’t disagree re Rose’s speed and as an attacking option - I just thought his situational awareness and marking was the sloppiest I’ve seen from this team.

It's not like Young is the second coming of Maldini as a defensive left back though.

I'm not sure that all of that goal was on Rose.  Yes, he should have done better, but he should have had assistance.  Someone else should have been closing that down.  A defender one on one in that situation is always at a disadvantage.

Delph could have done  lot better on that goal as well - closing down the space - he was nearly in position, but as he wasn't he ducked out of the way where the shot was coming from
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    crunchman said:

I don’t disagree re Rose’s speed and as an attacking option - I just thought his situational awareness and marking was the sloppiest I’ve seen from this team.

It's not like Young is the second coming of Maldini as a defensive left back though.

I'm not sure that all of that goal was on Rose.  Yes, he should have done better, but he should have had assistance.  Someone else should have been closing that down.  A defender one on one in that situation is always at a disadvantage.

Delph could have done  lot better on that goal as well - closing down the space - he was nearly in position, but as he wasn't he ducked out of the way where the shot was coming from
    Lol:

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    It would've been different if England had been in danger of crashing out of the cup. Things are ok, lads; it wasn't a catastrophic defeat, on the contrary: it'll result in improvement. Just wait and see. Anyway, there's been no footie today, I reckon I'm having withdrawal symptoms now...
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
    Strat54 said:
    Resting players in a tournament where the matches are a handful of days apart? It'll be 4 games in 16 days by the time Colombia have been played. Pitiful. Meanwhile I've just watched pro tennis players complete 4 matches in 5 days. 
    Yeah, but tennis is:

Whereas Football is:

No?

No, actually, it's just that Terry is a messy eater, those Bloody Strawberries.

B) 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    I misheard the commentator early in the first half, genuinely thinking he'd said "Belgium have only cleared the ball as far as Delft".

I thought that has to be about 1500 miles, surely?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Going slightly against the accepted (in the newspapers) opinion, I think Argentina will beat France today. France have a lot of star players but they are far from being a team. Argentina, while not playing to their high standard, play as a team. Teams win matches.

My cents worth...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    Rocker said:
    Going slightly against the accepted (in the newspapers) opinion, I think Argentina will beat France today. France have a lot of star players but they are far from being a team. Argentina, while not playing to their high standard, play as a team. Teams win matches.

My cents worth...

Hope so, I've got a tenner on them.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I've got France in the sweepstake, Argentina could easily beat them but if they haven't improved they will be going out with a whimper.
    Argentina haven't been a team since their final game against the Germans four years ago. Then they lost two final games against non-existent Chile in South America (penalty shootout), and had to struggle to reach the world cup. ARG will depend on Messi's magic and witchcraft. Uruguay v Portugal will be an enthralling match I reckon. Proper Saturday to get hooked on the footie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When did Argentina become such massive shite?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Just catching up. That Argentinian goal was a cracker although I get the impression France have been stronger over all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    great goal from di maria.  Messi is so different for Argentina he should have another name when playing for Barca or a super hero type outfit.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    Great game and what we hope to see at this stage.
    cant help feeling sorry for Messi. Without his Barca mates its looks a different team.France showed their expectation today
    bring on more such games
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Wow! What a game. And it could have ended 4 all.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Why would you feel sorry for Messi? He just walks around expecting the ball to come to him, whereas Ronaldo works for it and helps his team. Messi looked like Rooney in that match.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Don't cry 4-3 Argentina.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now Ronaldinho on his way home too. Uruguay and France both look good should be a good quarter. Fancy france just, pretty pleased with my sweepstake draw. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Setting up in a pub and trying to watch the match. IIRC Uruguay won everything so far, I think the expression is can't argue with success. 
    Lot of Portuguese players trying to shout down the ref, I really hate that. I'm not going to miss players like that in the competition. 2-1, good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Setting up in a pub and trying to watch the match. IIRC Uruguay won everything so far, I think the expression is can't argue with success. 
    Lot of Portuguese players trying to shout down the ref, I really hate that. I'm not going to miss players like that in the competition. 2-1, good. 
    I thought that was appalling - What kind of impression does that give? Should be shunned as public bullying

Another lesson to be learned from Rugby (along with VAR)