The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    I've been quiet on here lately, I've had a bit of a wobble...similar to @FarleyUK in that I'm tone chasing again.

Long and short of it is that I'm missing some of my old tones, the pedals and amps I had and am looking to get some of that back. The profiles around for those tones aren't good enough really - OR, actually, they're not to my tastes or how I'd choose to EQ them, rather. This has left me a bit jaded and I've not been able to get excited about all these amazing Kemper announcements that I've waited a year for! (they're all great announcements, by the way!)

So I bought an amp and a Suhr Reactive Load IR. Long story short, I disagree with John Suhr's assertion on TGP that an amp and Load Box sounds better than the Kemper - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/kemper-vs-reactive-load-with-irs.1751830/.

I started way back in 2016 with an amp and load box, that was my route into digital and since then moved on to the Fractal in 2017 and Kemper in 2018. With good reason too, judging by my experience over the last two days.

There's no doubt in my mind that amp and load box and IR is still an incredible solution. I love it, genuinely do. It's been nostalgic to experience the fun of it all over again. Owning an amp is a great experience, it gives a warm feeling inside. The Suhr RL/IR is superb, it's nice having a new toy too.

But genuinely, although it sounds absolutely fantastic - probably better than I remember the Fractal sounding, to be honest - I genuinely can't hear anything in the sound that makes it a worthwhile switch from the Kemper. The Kemper has all the nuances I look for and nails the feel, just like how I'm feeling the amp + load box + IR.

It's a different experience to the Amp In The Room, both solutions are, but I'm ok with that.

The problem: As far as I see it, and I don't know why it's taken me so long to realise...Profiles available aren't very personal. They aren't necessarily the way you or I would set things up in a real world environment on YOUR/MY amp. That's been my problem all along. I've been very lucky with some profiles in that they suit my playing style and tone, but it's an endless wade through treacle to find something that fits the bill.

So this has me thinking about doing some profiling of my own. The latest Tone Junkie podcast with Michael Britt just goes to prove that profiling doesn't have to be done with the best gear or in the best room. It will, however, prove to be expensive. So, like Michael Britt said in the podcast...I'll have to beg, borrow and steal, to make it happen!
    That's something I thought about as well.... but I no longer have any amps, so it's kind of tricky!

(Although may get the new mini JCM800 Marshall have announced).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Kemper just posted a screenshot of the editor, I think it’s quite a neat layout

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2019
    PVO_Dave said:

I like it, it's a very clean design.

I wonder if you can drag any FX into a new slot position?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:
    PVO_Dave said:

I like it, it's a very clean design.

I wonder if you can drag the FX into a new slot?
    Agreed, I love the design. Typical Kemper and well executed.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I wonder if you can type values in or will we be handicapped to using the knobs...which can be fiddly at times.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Is that a new reverb on the right?

• joeyowen said:
    Is that a new reverb on the right?

I was wondering what that was too.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have my go to patches on the Kemper and Britt features heavily his new one with the Friedman is a keeper but in general I tend to feel blessed as unlikely to get even a taste of real world trainwrecks or Dumble stuff and for me it’s all more than good enough.

As said profiling what you need is the answer and sure a few people here would help out hooking you up if you brought the Kemper over for a bit of profiling or perhaps look to hire what you need and see if that gets you closer.

i think the whole tone quest is a bit of modern world affliction and I say this without any judgement but we live in a world these days where the options have never been so vast and as someone who grew up with budget transistor amps like HH Carlsbro, the choice of amps pedals modellers available to day is beyond belief but I do understand it’s  human nature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I have my go to patches on the Kemper and Britt features heavily his new one with the Friedman is a keeper but in general I tend to feel blessed as unlikely to get even a taste of real world trainwrecks or Dumble stuff and for me it’s all more than good enough.

As said profiling what you need is the answer and sure a few people here would help out hooking you up if you brought the Kemper over for a bit of profiling or perhaps look to hire what you need and see if that gets you closer.

i think the whole tone quest is a bit of modern world affliction and I say this without any judgement but we live in a world these days where the options have never been so vast and as someone who grew up with budget transistor amps like HH Carlsbro, the choice of amps pedals modellers available to day is beyond belief but I do understand it’s  human nature.
    HH Carlsbro... we used to marvel at that !!!
  • I have my go to patches on the Kemper and Britt features heavily his new one with the Friedman is a keeper but in general I tend to feel blessed as unlikely to get even a taste of real world trainwrecks or Dumble stuff and for me it’s all more than good enough.

Absolutely, mate. For me, I guess it's less of a tone chase and more of a hankering for my old tones. But your post is spot on.

So what patches are you all using, and for what style of music?
    Just tried playing through the new Headrush FrFr speaker I had delivered - actually sounds pretty much better! Certainly better than going through the PA we're using.

Second Headrush speaker delivered on Monday, so I'll be back to a stereo setup :)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    FarleyUK said:
    Just tried playing through the new Headrush FrFr speaker I had delivered - actually sounds pretty much better! Certainly better than going through the PA we're using.

Second Headrush speaker delivered on Monday, so I'll be back to a stereo setup :)
    What were you using for gig monitoring before?
    simonk said:
    FarleyUK said:

This is for a backline. We use IEMs - although I'm starting a second band as well, so will be used for various things in that too.

• Sounds great! Impressed with all of the new stuff! Happy days.

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    That sound demo at the end was pretty shit to be honest..
  • FarleyUK said:
    simonk said:
    FarleyUK said:

This is for a backline. We use IEMs - although I'm starting a second band as well, so will be used for various things in that too.
    Do you also have a FoH PA? Why do you even need backline? Sorry, stupid question probably.  =)
  • cbellanga said:
    That sound demo at the end was pretty shit to be honest..
    Choice of style, perhaps, but you could clearly hear the difference between speaker selection. Also, nothing sounds great at NAMM.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Rick Beato was complaining that the Guitar hall at NAMM was even louder than the drum dept !
    FarleyUK said:
    simonk said:
    FarleyUK said:

Do you also have a FoH PA? Why do you even need backline? Sorry, stupid question probably.  =)
    Yes, we have a foh PA - but the speakers are a bit naff. By having the backline of stereo FrFr speakers, it makes the guitar tone more controllable for me.

I used to do it with two Yamaha DXR10'S, and it sounded a lot better than it does now, and the Headrush speakers sound better than the dxrs, so should be better now.

Also - I'm starting a new band, and a duo, so these speakers can be used for either direct monitoring or a backline again :)