The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUK said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    35% off at ToneJunkie, loved the Hendrix like tones from their new Plexi pack video, grabbed it for $20 after using the code (discount until the 31st) 
    I'm personally fed up of buying profile packs. I had the same thing with the Helix and the AX8 as well; the packs NEVER sound as good as the demo they use to show them.

I just stick with the ones I've already got (mostly the TopJimi Caswell JCM800 ones). New Year's resolution - no more profile packs!
    Have a wis because that’s exactly what I’ve done. I bought the Kemper expecting to get loads of different amps I’ve dreamed of for years and I simply play the Caswell AFD amp by Top Jimi and the Top Jimi AFD100 #34 and absolutely nothing else. At all. If I want clean I use my guitars volume. No effects. Do I feel like a Kemper is overkill for such a basic setup? Nope.

the Kemper has killed amp GAS for good, to the point where I’m starting to wonder what to do with my time as I’m not on YouTube anymore listening to demos (I’ll have to play more). Between that and my new Gibson Les Paul I simply have no want for any guitar gear. I went to Newcastle with the better half and she always makes me go in the guitar shops as she knows I enjoy it but there was nothing to get excited about. It’s strange feeling but i cant see it changing. I’ve never had tone this good.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    FarleyUK said:
    Here's a quick question for you all - I also posted it on the official forums:

I've recently ditched my backline of 2 DXR10s and am now running the Kemper directly through our PA (via a Mackie DL806 digital mixer / PA).

I have noticed that the sound is quite a lot different to the sound I'm getting via the headphones out on the Kemper, and know that - obviously - the speakers have a different response and curve compared to the headphones.

However - can anyone suggest a way to EQ the PA so that it more closely matches what I hear in the headphones? The desk has an RTA that shows the frequencies etc. being used by the Kemper inputs on the desk, and I can of course apply an EQ to the inputs - but I'm not sure how to go about working out what to boost / cut to match the headphones.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Surely you’d want to be doing it the other way, i.e. set the Kemper so it sounds good through your PA? I certainly wouldn’t attempt to dial in any live tones on headphones as it just won’t translate. 

You really need to do this at some volume with some decent monitors. If you can only do it through headphones a general rule of thumb is to dial it a lot duller with more mid range and less bass than you think so it accounts for the Fletcher-Munson curve.
    Yeah, that would be the ideal situation - but I don't have access to the PA normally, hence having to use headphones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    35% off at ToneJunkie, loved the Hendrix like tones from their new Plexi pack video, grabbed it for $20 after using the code (discount until the 31st) 
    I'm personally fed up of buying profile packs. I had the same thing with the Helix and the AX8 as well; the packs NEVER sound as good as the demo they use to show them.

I just stick with the ones I've already got (mostly the TopJimi Caswell JCM800 ones). New Year's resolution - no more profile packs!
    Have a wis because that’s exactly what I’ve done. I bought the Kemper expecting to get loads of different amps I’ve dreamed of for years and I simply play the Caswell AFD amp by Top Jimi and the Top Jimi AFD100 #34 and absolutely nothing else. At all. If I want clean I use my guitars volume. No effects. Do I feel like a Kemper is overkill for such a basic setup? Nope.

the Kemper has killed amp GAS for good, to the point where I’m starting to wonder what to do with my time as I’m not on YouTube anymore listening to demos (I’ll have to play more). Between that and my new Gibson Les Paul I simply have no want for any guitar gear. I went to Newcastle with the better half and she always makes me go in the guitar shops as she knows I enjoy it but there was nothing to get excited about. It’s strange feeling but i cant see it changing. I’ve never had tone this good.
    Preach it, brother!

I agree though, I've not heard any other amp profile that sounds or feels as good as the Caswell JCM profiles Jimi does - and I've tried a metric sh*t-ton of others!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Hey guys,

Been using the MBritt Matchless SC30 profile recently for rhythm.   Bloody loving it!  Anyone one else using it?

Recorded this with it over the weekend.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I noticed from our recordings of the NYE gig that the guitar sounded quite 'muffled'; in the hopes to combat this, I've changed the headphones I use to listen to the Kemper to at home (gone from Sony MDR-7506s to 880's by BeyerDynamic) as I understand the 880 headphones are a bit better at being 'neutral' sounding.

I'm then planning on running some pink noise through the PA and using an app to measure the peaks and troughs accordingly, to get some idea of a decent EQ for the PA. I can then start working on the guitar mix.

One thing I have done already though is to adjust my high cut from 6500hz to 8000hz.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    FarleyUK said:
    PVO_Dave said:

People on this forum should use this approach with all gear- analog and digital!
    I have a Kemper, Helix Native, and a FX8, and it is my experience that everything has to be dialed-in unless you own the original guitar that was used to make a preset or profile.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Anyone tried the official Victory profiles put together by Rabea? Thoughts?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Everytime I get a notification I get excited for update news. Boooooo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    So I'm trying to get the harmonies programmed (as well as general guitar sounds) for Hotel California.

Eeeesh.

What a pain in the arse being the only guitarist in the band!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    @FarleyUK ;
     how do you find the pitch shift settings on the Kemper?

I don't like them at all. All sound very thin to me
    joeyowen said:
    @FarleyUK ;
     how do you find the pitch shift settings on the Kemper?

I don't like them at all. All sound very thin to me
    Not really played around with them too much, but I think they're fine for what I'm after; in a pub gig, nobody is going to really pick up on them being maybe not as fully-fleshed out as you might want them to be (IMO, of course).
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    That’s where devices like the FX8 win tbh
    Yeah - hopefully if / when we get this update it will improve a few things with the FX.

Seriously, with the time they're taking, I'm kind of expecting the second coming of The Messiah.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone tried any Cornish drive/fuzz pedals into the Kemper?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

New Rig Manager available as of yesterday.  Hopefully this is the prelude to the new reverbs.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    crunchman said:

New Rig Manager available as of yesterday.  Hopefully this is the prelude to the new reverbs.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

Interesting mate !
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I will probably be Pensionable by the time the update is released ;)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    sweepy said:
    I will probably be Pensionable by the time the update is released ;)
    I'm curious to see what arrives first ..

a) Kemper update
    b) FX8 update
    c) Death
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Safe to say it will be after NAMM now - they're unlikely to release a major update just before everyone is out of office....

I'm getting very bored of waiting for the new update, which is ridiculous. The Kemper works fine as-is, I just want new shiny toys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/42758-5-7-0-14092-public-beta/

THEY'RE HERE!!!!

(Kind of)

Over six months for this...?? Hmmm. Doesn't seem a lot extra apart from the reverbs (but hey, they're here!).