The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10758
    I would have thought it would be an idea to take material off the bottom of the nut, rather than going deeper down the slots. Just so as not to change the nut profile at the top - is that not a good way? Assuming it's not glued on. I agree with Frankus and can't-remember-who-else-sorry, this thread is so nasty and isn't a good advert for the site. I vote it should go into SC.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited April 2014
    AlanP said:
    frankus said:
    I'd like you to speak to his skill as a guitar repairer/modifier, leaving aside the way in which we are going about that.
    Willing to go on the record?
    I don't understand what that means, please clarify.
    I think he is asking you to say whether you think Mark does a good job, or not...
    I dunno, I've seen photos... I like the tele neck pickup... I'm interested in the idea... I've got big hands... I've modded and made guitars myself, I don't get the whole pristine schtick with guitars.. so I wouldn't mind the rough edges - if I weren't left handed I'd say I was this forums best shot at an impartial tester, most capable of giving genuine feedback at a level that might be productive.

We could do as the freestompbox forums do, club together and degoop - in fact until we do something similar most of this thread is based on conjecture and regret.

If we all wanted to club together buy, test and leave more honest appraisal here and on eBay, I'd be all for it..

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    edited April 2014
    frankus;203926" said:
    AlanP said:

frankus said:I'd like you to speak to his skill as a guitar repairer/modifier, leaving aside the way in which we are going about that.Willing to go on the record?

I don't understand what that means, please clarify.I think he is asking you to say whether you think Mark does a good job, or not...

I dunno, I've seen photos... I like the tele neck pickup... I'm interested in the idea... I've got big hands... I've modded and made guitars myself, I don't get the whole pristine schtick with guitars.. so I wouldn't mind the rough edges - if I weren't left handed I'd say I was this forums best shot at an impartial tester, most capable of giving genuine feedback at a level that might be productive.

We could do as the freestompbox forums do, club together and degoop - in

fact until we do something similar most of this thread is based on

conjecture and regret.

If we all wanted to club together buy, test and leave more honest appraisal here and on eBay, I'd be all for it..
    Edited because I honestly can't be arsed anymore...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4036
    edited April 2014
    frankus said:

There is a positive though.  Online reviews are a big part of shopping for people these days, so I hope that someone types Phillips Cleartone Conversions/Guitars into Google before buying in future, because the people of this forum have created top ranking search results, potentially saving some unlucky novice the pain of buying and trying to play one of his "renovated" monstrosities.
    Sounds like a legal reason to move this to speakers corner.
    Why?

Nobody is being slanderous here.  He isn't trained and his work is shite.

Edit:  A reminder of what we are discussing here:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well Chris, I imagine the site owners wouldn't want to have to prove their case in court... it's unnecesary stress and not what the forum was built for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    edited April 2014

Lexie1 said:
    funstuie said:
    I have a Kay/Satellite made in Japan "Les Paul" which is a piece of shit. It's the worst guitar ever made. I am willing to send it for free to anyone who thinks they can make a good guitar out of it for a beginner. 
    I don't mind taking that on if you like (assuming it has a straight ... ie not laterally warped neck) and do a photo log.
    At the end I suggest we auction it in benefit of forum funds.
    If nothing else this thread (and it's cousin) will have given the board some dosh.
    in my haste I got a bit mixed up. It's actually an Avon (made in Japan) Les Paul. Not sure if it's worth the effort as its a bit battered up. It's probably worth more as a relic than anything else. But having said that I am still willing to post it out to someone to do up/repair/make good. 

Is this a guitar forum?
    Iamnobody said:
    Is this a guitar forum?
    This is Sparta! ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    Well Chris, I imagine the site owners wouldn't want to have to prove their case in court... it's unnecesary stress and not what the forum was built for.
    There is no case to answer.  Looking at the number of contributions and members involved, it seems to be exactly what the forum is for, discussing Guitars, good or bad, in the Gear category.  Look at the thread, Guitars you hate... some makers are getting a right bashing in there.
    It's not down to me to answer that, that's for the site sponsors to decide, I just wondered if people's enthusiasm for righteousness might actually be counter-productive to the existence of the thread itself - at least in the capacity of being visible to web-spiders.
    edited April 2014
    I don't see how highlighting blatant lies and specific examples of poor workmanship can be any more damning than the usual sort of sweeping statements we regularly see here such as Gibson QC is shite...
    It really depends on the extent to which mdphillips is prepared to contest... which we don't know.

I'm just pointing out a risk given the unmeasured phrasing and new cyber-bullying laws - I'm not exploring the likelihood.
    frankus said:
    It really depends on the extent to which mdphillips is prepared to contest... which we don't know.

I'm just pointing out a risk given the unmeasured phrasing and new cyber-bullying laws - I'm not exploring the likelihood.
    I think if people were bullying and threatening, then fair enough.   I think it would be the individual held accountable though, like these idiots on Twitter who have been prosecuted, not Twitter.
    It really depends on the presence of moderation (IIRC my conversation with a lawyer regarding this).

I think there are a lot of things people are taking for granted in this thread and it's a bit foolish.
  • frankus said:

Not really. When confronted with a straight yes or no question as to whether from what you would rate his worked you first acted dumb as if you could not understand a simple question then when it was re-iterated you swerved the it.  It doesn't really make sense to portray yourself as being above the behaviour of other when you push intelligence then feign ignorance when it suits.  Then be the moral champion but lacking the conviction to action back this guys work. 

That kind of the deflated the whole 'I'm going to support this guy despite the visible evidence that he is an unskilled workman exploiting the naïve and shame everyone else as some kind of cyber-bully for calling a spade a spade and ignoring the eloquently put "You're all pricks" from the lovely Mr Phillips himself, in order to prove I can argue the unarguable. 

So now the tact changes to the flaky grounding of 'there may be legal issues' for the forum due to people expressing their opinion.  However that is bullishly expecting everyone, the site owners especially, to be ignorant enough to not spot the mass bulk of forum content of any kind is opinions.  Earlier in this very thread you said the your Suhr wasn't perfect - will you be retracting that in case of legal action?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    TheGuitarWeasel;203907" said:
    Lexie1 said:

funstuie said:

I have a Kay/Satellite made in Japan "Les Paul" which is a piece of shit. It's the worst guitar ever made. I am willing to send it for free to anyone who thinks they can make a good guitar out of it for a beginner. 

I don't mind taking that on if you like (assuming it has a straight ... ie not laterally warped neck) and do a photo log.

At the end I suggest we auction it in benefit of forum funds.

If nothing else this thread (and it's cousin) will have given the board some dosh.
    In honor of this thread could you shoehorn a Tele pup into it :D

frankus said:

Not really. When confronted with a straight yes or no question as to whether from what you would rate his worked you first acted dumb as if you could not understand a simple question then when it was re-iterated you swerved the it.

How did I swerve it?
    as for the rest - people are assuming their righteous conviction will not end up with the thread being deleted or moved to a safer place where it's "good" by being a beacon of consumer feedback for potential buyers will be lost.

I'm not supporting this guy - I'm trying to see the good in the people on this forum - else why bother coming here?
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Having read this through on many an occasion and as a contributor to both, or perhaps three threads that have run covering the same ground, I am bowing out. Not for fear of being pursued by anyone waving a writ, but because there really is little else that I can, or feel like adding, apart from once again thanking funstuie for his generous off of a donor guitar, which I do hope somebody will take up.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    edited April 2014
    frankus said:
    as for the rest - people are assuming their righteous conviction will not end up with the thread being deleted or moved to a safer place where it's "good" by being a beacon of consumer feedback for potential buyers will be lost.

I'm not supporting this guy - I'm trying to see the good in the people on this forum - else why bother coming here?
    I don't have a righteous conviction... that was quashed on appeal.  >:D<

TBH, my suggestion of sending a guitar for 3rd part evaluation is the only sensible thing - I don't have strong feelings against Mark, I've seen some photos of some work on some guitars that I would like to see first hand before making comment and I feel I can be objective about these things.

I'd agree with Frankus that there has been some vitriol on here that is questionable in its intent but I think there is a consensus that none of us want anything other that a positive outcome... for everyone, including Mark and his potential customers in the future. I think Mark has shown guts coming on here, but I would agree that name calling from him ("nerds" and "pricks") isn't helping his cause, but I understand his frustration/upset.

So hey, Mark - what do you say?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.