The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    Honestly, if it means there are less 7 string guitars in the world, then our man is doing a good public service. Bravo.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    mike_l said:

I'm waiting for him to put a Floyd on a guitar.

Then I'll get one.

I can't be doing with them fixed bridges.

Don't you know he's East Sussex's answer to Grover Jackson.
    You want super jumbo frets.
    No problem.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  

Im well known for missing things in threads -

In this particular case I think it's fair to use the excuse of trauma induced blindness due to the high number of distressing imagery within this thread.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

I'm waiting for him to put a Floyd on a guitar.

Then I'll get one.

I can't be doing with them fixed bridges.

Don't you know he's East Sussex's answer to Grover Jackson.
    You want super jumbo frets.
    No problem.

WANT. Really want. I'm going to raid the piggy bank (Deckers) and spend all the money on that. :D

Or I might just get another Jackson, even though it won't be as good.

:-?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11052
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    Let me come in late and just say a couple of things.

Firstly I applaud Mark's bottle in coming on here to defend his work. And for that he should get some kudos.
    When anybody goes into business they are judged not only by their customers, but by their peers and fellow businessmen. It is a measure of how good a businessman you are not only by the quality of the products you produce, but by the way you handle complaints and criticism. A good handling of when you do things wrong (or are simply being accused of doing things wrong) is being calm, not resorting to mudslinging or knocking anyone else's opinion to make yours seem more correct. A good businessman will simply explain his product, features, etc and let a reasoned argument and his own knowledge win people over.

In this thread you have had your say and others can judge how well you did that. I think that any comments about you of a 'personal' nature, are probably  ill considered. It should be pointed out however that if one puts information of a sensitive nature about ones private life on the internet it is likely to attract comment ... and likely, comment that won't please. An ill considered disclosure or remark made even two or three years ago is usually still hanging about somewhere online, simply waiting to bite when you least expect.

We are not in general idle internet trolls on here. there are professional repair men, manufacturers, luthiers as well as lots of serious musicians and some pro ones.

A thought: one person could likely be wrong about your work ... five, perhaps perhaps at a stretch ... but much upwards of that and I think you need to start asking yourself some pretty serious questions about your methods and ethics.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
     I think that any comments about you of a 'personal' nature, are probably  ill considered. It should be pointed out however that if one puts information of a sensitive nature about ones private life on the internet it is likely to attract comment ... and likely, comment that won't please. An ill considered disclosure or remark made even two or three years ago is usually still hanging about somewhere online, simply waiting to bite when you least expect.

We're staying away from the whole 'Chocolate Hobnob' debacle then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11052
    tFB Trader
    Richardj said:
     I think that any comments about you of a 'personal' nature, are probably  ill considered. It should be pointed out however that if one puts information of a sensitive nature about ones private life on the internet it is likely to attract comment ... and likely, comment that won't please. An ill considered disclosure or remark made even two or three years ago is usually still hanging about somewhere online, simply waiting to bite when you least expect.

We're staying away from the whole 'Chocolate Hobnob' debacle then?
    Sadly once an addict always an addict :(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    not_the_dj;202912" said:
    stevenguitars said:

Gagaryn said:

GuitarMonkey said:

Mark's eBay feedback is pretty good, so his customers seem to appreciate what he does, even if I wouldn't.That's true. Maybe it's down to his use of quality machine heads?

classicI bought a kettle from that guy.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    why has this thread developed a strange sub plot that involves naked mens reflections on shiny objects?

Unless you like that sort of thing? Then crack on, I am not here to judge
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    mike_l said:
    Tone71 said:
    As a carpenter, there is an old saying we use "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"....never more apt
    Usually followed by "enough to get into trouble, not enough to get out of trouble"
    Don't forget measure twice (or thrice) and cut once.
  • Naked Men is the only thing that can save this thread now!
    Old Is Gold
  • @mdphillips1956

Please read peoples posts properly before you accuse them of saying something that was actually said by someone else.

It was Octatonic that stated about the angle of the strings through the nut not myself, regardless he is correct anyhow.

Can you really not see how rediculous and unprofessional that nut looks? Even if you have somehow managed to angle the slot in a way that it does not foul as you claim.

To be honest I find your disregard for hundreds of years of guitar development and evolution highly insulting, there is a reason why EVERY  guitar manufacturer / custom maker cuts their nuts in a particular way and your ignorance towards this is baffling!

• So you find disregarding a hundred years of guitar development personally insulting do you? Sounds like you think you wrote it yourself.
    My personal experience of most so called luthiers, is that they know all about fixing bits of wood together the best way, but absolutely nothing about what makes a guitar play properly.
    Mark...................
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ?

Thanks for the re-quote
    :-?? :-?
    Old Is Gold
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    edited April 2014
    "....and it's all gone quiet over there...." 

Bless.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    edited April 2014
    My personal experience of most so called luthiers, is that they know all about fixing bits of wood together the best way, but absolutely nothing about what makes a guitar play properly.
    Mark...................
    Well that's not ironic at all.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited April 2014
    So you find disregarding a hundred years of guitar development personally insulting do you? Sounds like you think you wrote it yourself.
    Mark...................
    Insulting because I spent four years training for a profession you seemingly have no respect for and are quite happy to butcher.

Mark, I am formerly an engineer I am proficient at metal working and wood working on machines and by hand, I know sub standard work when I see it and you sir have it down to an art.

Clearly you are correct, I must have no idea how a guitar plays properly.......... obviously the 10+ years I spent playing in a gigging band playing with bands from all over the world was just some kind of beautiful dream!

Perhaps the fact my band was in Classic Rock Prog magazine and on one of the CDs included with it was a dream as well!

Keep digging that grave Mark
    =))
    Old Is Gold
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    mdphillips1956;203473" said:
    So you find disregarding a hundred years of guitar development personally insulting do you? Sounds like you think you wrote it yourself.My personal experience of most so called luthiers, is that they know all about fixing bits of wood together the best way, but absolutely nothing about what makes a guitar play properly.Mark...................
    http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/cheech-wtf-gif1.gif
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9745
    Here's a summary of this thread so far:

"I'm right, everybody else is wrong and the fact that I've sold things on ebay proves it."

Did we really expect anything other than this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Here's a summary of this thread so far:

"I'm right, everybody else is wrong and the fact that I've sold things on ebay proves it."

Did we really expect anything other than this?
    I thought it was going rather well
    8-}
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom