The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5789
    FWIW I had the 35 f1.4 first, then tried the f2 when it came out as I like the smaller size and WR. That did 2 weeks in Japan and performed brilliantly, but didn’t quite have the same magic that the f1.4 had, so I swapped that for the 23f2. Honesty 2 years later I’m barely using the 23f2 either (as much down time focal length preference as anything else) so will be selling that and going back to the 35f1.4 as my only prime. 

I’m currently looking more at food photography, so getting tempted by the 56mm or 16-80mm
    The 16-80 looks like a great lens. Fantastic range, nice constant aperture, brilliant stabilisation, weather sealing, far more gains than loses in the zoom design compromise and it's not even particularly large or heavy. What more could you want from a companion lens?

The 56 is a large, bulky and not very fast one trick pony by comparison. It does produce stunning images and make you feel very special when you use it though. Pretty easy choice to me ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    I have all 3 of those on the Fuji, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2.  

The 35/1.4 is what stays on 99% of the time.  Strangely on my Sony I use the 35mm more.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sad news - Olympus is pulling out of the camera market and is selling it's camera division to Japan Industrial Partners - they own VAIO Computers. Olympus were real innovators and the first Pen camera was a work of art. I guess the range will be cut - probably dump the entry level as smartphones are getting better everyday.

I wonder if Olympus UK will sell stuff off cheap - I understand use of the Olympus name is not part of the sale.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    Olympus denied this was happening about 6 months ago, ISTR. But I don't think the business ever recovered after that huge accounting fraud (1990s?)

Don't they have a much more profitable medical imaging business?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I think the M 4/3 system was always a bit more under threat than the bigger systems.  It was their beauty but also limitation, even if that was mostly on paper rather than actual usage.  I wonder if ths is affecting Panasonic sales also?

goldtop said:

So I believe, share price looks good so it must just be the camera section that was running at a loss.

goldtop said:

Yes - that's where the company makes money. Olympus as a company will continue - it just won't make cameras.

• I have all 3 of those on the Fuji, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2.  

The 35/1.4 is what stays on 99% of the time.  Strangely on my Sony I use the 35mm more.
    It's funny, I tried the 35mm 1.4 and while it was great, it didn't give me anything the old nifty 50s didn't on full frame, and they're cheaper. 

The nice bit was the build. Cheap full frame really does feel cheap, despite the equivalent results. Fuji lenses just feel great. I do miss the system a bit. 
    edited June 2020
    I like Olympus M43 format - small, light affordable cameras with loads of features and decent low cost lenses. I have the OM-D EM10-III camera body, 17mm F1.8 and 25mm F1.8 and 40-150mm F.4 lenses. Does pretty much what I want to do ...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    I have all 3 of those on the Fuji, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2.  

It's funny, I tried the 35mm 1.4 and while it was great, it didn't give me anything the old nifty 50s didn't on full frame, and they're cheaper. 

The nice bit was the build. Cheap full frame really does feel cheap, despite the equivalent results. Fuji lenses just feel great. I do miss the system a bit. 
    I like the square hood  ;)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited August 2020
    Hi guys, I'm new to photography and find this image striking but have no idea how it is done. hoping one of you experienced fellas can break it down. Is it a speedlight with gel and covered so that it only gives out a sliver of light or something else completely?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B70lFSCpCIa/
  • Branshen said:
    Hi guys, I'm new to photography and find this image striking but have no idea how it is done. hoping one of you experienced fellas can break it down. Is it a speedlight with gel and covered so that it only gives out a sliver of light or something else completely?

Impossible to say. Instead, think about the light and how it could be created. 

You have a dark, cool image with a narrow beam of warm orange light. The dark light is around 2-3 stops darker, although does crush to black in places. 

Doesn't matter whether it was a strobe, speedlight, continuous LED or a natural sunset on a window that had one part of the blind left open - they'll all look the same. You've identified the key points:

- warm key light
    - flagged key light (ie it's restricted, either with flags or a snoot or other means) 
    - bluey green underexposed image - exposure is for the key light only. 

Next is composition - it's wide. I actually think I'd prefer if it was cropped harder on top and bottom for a panoramic image, but my tastes rarely align with others! A telephoto lens would not achieve the look. 

Lastly is the subject. They're positioned in a particular way and shot from a particular angle. End result is a nifty shot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    Branshen said:

The language is Korean .. Google translates it as follows (just in case you wanted to know what it said):

The last day of the holiday. Today, we gave feedback on the January shoot and talked about the February shoot.
    Snow shooting in January was fun, but I think February will be fun, so I'm looking forward to it already

I want to quickly take pictures in London with the Contax G2!

Hard to say how the picture was created - @ThePrettyDamned has some good ideas (I agree with the crop comment) - the orange light effect could have been added in post via an app like Photoshop or it could just be some light from a setting sun or a neon light that the photographer has taken advantage of ... Cool pic though ..

• Sold the last of my gear on Thursdayy.. well upset I've been but right arm too shaky now, I can't strum a guitar either :(

Went for a walk yesterday and took pics with phone using left hand and TBF pics are respectable it's just not the same experience.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sold the last of my gear on Thursdayy.. well upset I've been but right arm too shaky now, I can't strum a guitar either :(

Went for a walk yesterday and took pics with phone using left hand and TBF pics are respectable it's just not the same experience.
    :(

Compact cam? 

:(

Compact cam? 
    nah, I had an A7, RX10 and RX100 and none have been usable.

Im just glad I can still drum and play golf, for now anyway.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12394
    Sold the last of my gear on Thursdayy.. well upset I've been but right arm too shaky now, I can't strum a guitar either :(

Wow that sucks big time Dave. :/ Sorry to hear it, I hadn’t realised your Parkinson’s had progressed quite so much. 
  • boogieman said:
    Sold the last of my gear on Thursdayy.. well upset I've been but right arm too shaky now, I can't strum a guitar either :(

Wow that sucks big time Dave. :/ Sorry to hear it, I hadn’t realised your Parkinson’s had progressed quite so much. 
    yeah it turned out it was caught later than expected, not massively later but later all the same, not yet at the wanting Levodopa stage anyway..

RE camera I did have a thought yesterday and be as it was one of my fave systems I think I am going to try it... Olympus EM5/EP5/EPL5.. I remember them having an excellent touchscreen and touch focus/shoot worked very well.

for the price you can pick them up now, well worth a punt.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    edited August 2020
    boogieman said:
    Sold the last of my gear on Thursdayy.. well upset I've been but right arm too shaky now, I can't strum a guitar either

Wow that sucks big time Dave. Sorry to hear it, I hadn’t realised your Parkinson’s had progressed quite so much. 
    yeah it turned out it was caught later than expected, not massively later but later all the same, not yet at the wanting Levodopa stage anyway..

RE camera I did have a thought yesterday and be as it was one of my fave systems I think I am going to try it... Olympus EM5/EP5/EPL5.. I remember them having an excellent touchscreen and touch focus/shoot worked very well.

That’s a bummer! Have you thought about photography that utilises a tripod, like landscape, astro etc. with timer release or remote shutter? 
  • boogieman said:

A monopod may help?

Or, if you wanted to do landscape, a wireless shutter release and a tripod. I have one of these and it's tiny and very good - I use it with a Canon 6D which looks hilariously big on it. I paid £35 on ebay last year. 

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9373906F/aluminium-tripods/vanguard/veo-2-235ab-travel-tripod-kit-with-ball-head-black

Apologies, I know you know your gear...