The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Got a question for experience Canon shooters. I love the output of the 6D in terms of tone and colour (even the raw files are really nice, I typically apply the in-camera emulating Portrait demosaic rather than the Adobe standard).

However, all my recent previous digital cameras have lacked an anti-alias filter so the shots require very little work sharpening. The canon has a fairly aggressive one. Where should I start in lightroom in terms of settings for sharpening tog rt a hair more crispness?

The images are not soft, I suppose I'm just used to biting sharpness. They print fine, so it's not even important... Just wondering really! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    A little advice needed from the lens gurus please! I need to raise some quick cash and have sadly decided to sell my Sigma 105mm Macro f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens. It is in its protective case and boxed unused from new, it has never been on a camera. They retail at £339 new and I would like some advice on what the minimum I should accept for it should be and where the best place is to advertise it please? I really don’t want to go the Ebay route.
    Thank you for any advice you can give.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    zepp76 said:
    A little advice needed from the lens gurus please! I need to raise some quick cash and have sadly decided to sell my Sigma 105mm Macro f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens. It is in its protective case and boxed unused from new, it has never been on a camera. They retail at £339 new and I would like some advice on what the minimum I should accept for it should be and where the best place is to advertise it please? I really don’t want to go the Ebay route.
    What fitting is it? There are forums for most camera makes that have classified sections. Possibly a better place to sell but you'd have to sign up.
    Jimbro66 said:
    zepp76 said:
    What fitting is it? There are forums for most camera makes that have classified sections. Possibly a better place to sell but you'd have to sign up.
    It's a Canon fitting, I’ll have a look around at forums thank you.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12394
    edited September 2020
    An identical one sold on the Talkphotography forum recently for £195 plus p&p. Talkphotography is a good place to buy and sell privately, but you have to go through a few hoops first to get access to the classifieds section, I think it’s so many posts and a 12 week wait. The upside is there’s hardly any spammers on there and deals very rarely go south. 

If you want a quicker sale you could try MPB photographic, but they’re a dealer so you’ll obviously get a lot less for it. 
    boogieman said:
    An identical one sold on the Talkphotography forum recently for £195 plus p&p. Talkphotography is a good place to buy and sell privately, but you have to go through a few hoops first to get access to the classifieds section, I think it’s so many posts and a 12 week wait. The upside is there’s hardly any spammers on there and deals very rarely go south. 

If you want a quicker sale you could try MPB photographic, but they’re a dealer so you’ll obviously get a lot less for it. 
    Thank you for the advice, I didn’t honestly realise they depreciated in value so much. I don’t think I can let it go for so little, I’m going to have to have a rethink.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11896
    50-60% of new is a typical price, you get more for some lenses, some less, depends on if there had been a replacement and current prices or 1st or 3rd party.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:

I'd be interested in November but that's probably not much use to you... 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Another question for you fellas. I really like this style of portraiture. I can understand the lighting of the shot, but don't know how it's edited. Film grain is the obvious first step, but I get stuck after that. At first, I thought that there might be some sparing use of the orton effect but after looking more closely, I'm not too sure about that. Would appreciate any ideas! 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12394
    edited September 2020
    Branshen said:
    Another question for you fellas. I really like this style of portraiture. I can understand the lighting of the shot, but don't know how it's edited. Film grain is the obvious first step, but I get stuck after that. At first, I thought that there might be some sparing use of the orton effect but after looking more closely, I'm not too sure about that. Would appreciate any ideas! 

From the style it looks like it was taken with a mobile then run through a grainy filter.

I don’t really get the appeal to be honest, but if it’s your thing you can get most of that effect from shooting the model into a low sun. That washes the colours out too.  That shot has a small DoF so presumably the aperture must be quite wide, so that rules out using a high ISO to get that graininess. Either it was shot on film or the grain was added in post. 
    edited September 2020
    Branshen said:

If the lens flare is real....

The most important thing to begin with is you shoot into the light, most photography book will tell you NOT to do that, the key is you expose for the subject, not the scene.  Let the highlights be blown.

Exposure raised until light blown out.
    It is on the warm side with a hint of green.
    Slightly desaturated - vibrance and saturation taken down.
    Grain/noise added if it's not there naturally.
    Raise the left side on the tone curve up a notch.

• Pretty much what Ray said. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Got a question for experience Canon shooters. I love the output of the 6D in terms of tone and colour (even the raw files are really nice, I typically apply the in-camera emulating Portrait demosaic rather than the Adobe standard).

However, all my recent previous digital cameras have lacked an anti-alias filter so the shots require very little work sharpening. The canon has a fairly aggressive one. Where should I start in lightroom in terms of settings for sharpening tog rt a hair more crispness?

The images are not soft, I suppose I'm just used to biting sharpness. They print fine, so it's not even important... Just wondering really! 
    It's not a difference that is enough to write off a camera.  
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2020
    Branshen said:

The suggestions above are valid but it easy to get the same effect with a photo app like Photoshop.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Let's show some photos

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @RaymondLin ; .. fabulous photos. Where were they taken?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    @RaymondLin ; .. fabulous photos. Where were they taken?
    Omoide Yokocho in Shinjuku in Tokyo.

It translates to Memory lane but also known as Piss alley as it's where people get drunk in these tiny bars and piss round the corner. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited September 2020
    Thanks @RaymondLin , @Fretwired , @boogieman !

I've only just picked up photography around a month ago so I'm really still developing my tastes. It's not much but here's one of the first photos I am proud of.

• I've got myself the Fuji 100-400mm for a trip next week. I am hoping for some fairly special photos...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    Let's show some photos

Both lovely and very cinematic. The bottom image with the red-haired girl is fantastic. Great style.