The Edge - Full Rig Rundown

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    I could hardly claim to be a U2 fan or Edge _ and I don't mean that in a negative way - I have a couple of albums and seen them live, but I don't follow them to the nth degree

However, as others have hinted above - He is totally original and distinctive - And that is something that can't be said about many more technically gifted players - What Edge plays suits the song and the band - Often what he plays is the song - I admire and respect what he offers and more importantly what he has offered to the guitar world
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    edited July 2018
    I’ve always viewed him as a less technical Andy Summers - which I mean positively. Both found a way of using the guitar in rock music that didn’t rely on power chords and other cliches. Both are great players as far as I’m concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Hattigol said:
    kt66 said:
    Watch that video with Jimmy Page and Jack White, I actually started to feel sorry for the Edge. 
    Sorry in what way?
    He's in awe of the other two,  looks out of his depth
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    if you are interested in the internal goings-on of the edge's big muff...

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7676#p83198
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Trying to watch it but too much delay on the streaming....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    kt66 said:
    Hattigol said:
    kt66 said:
    Watch that video with Jimmy Page and Jack White, I actually started to feel sorry for the Edge. 
    Sorry in what way?
    In awe of Jack White??? Is such a thing possible? He’s only written one song/riff! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    kt66 said:
    Hattigol said:
    kt66 said:
    Sorry in what way?
    Of course he's in awe of JP. Who the hell wouldn't be....

That's your reason for feeling sorry for him?! A multi-millionaire, hugely popular, unique guitarist who looks in awe when he's playing guitar in front of one of his heroes?

Some perspective that.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Is this a repeat?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Gassage said:
    Is this a repeat?
    Yes. The first one was delayed....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
    kt66 said:
    Hattigol said:
    kt66 said:
    Sorry in what way?
    In awe of Jack White??? Is such a thing possible? He’s only written one song/riff! 
    Have you heard Consolers of the Lonely by the Raconteurs? The guy is a seriously talented rock/blues songwriter, regardless of whether he's to your taste.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    kt66 said:
    Hattigol said:
    kt66 said:
    Sorry in what way?
    Have you heard Consolers of the Lonely by the Raconteurs? The guy is a seriously talented rock/blues songwriter, regardless of whether he's to your taste.
    Yes I have, bought the first Raconteurs album when it came out too. No denying he’s a talented chap, just saying I doubt The Edge is in awe of him. He probably respects him quite a bit though...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'd be quite happy if I was so shit at guitar I could only manage to scrape together a £250m fortune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Great video - would have loved to hear some of the isolated guitar sounds though
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31653
    It doesn't really matter whether you like U2 or think the Edge is not a guitar hero, guitar playing in general sounded different after he arrived, just like it did with Jimi Hendrix and EVH.

If you could somehow remove all of their music from history you could still listen to everything else and think "Woah, something happened around this time, THAT sound wasn't there before and now it's everywhere!". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    It doesn't really matter whether you like U2 or think the Edge is not a guitar hero, guitar playing in general sounded different after he arrived, just like it did with Jimi Hendrix and EVH.

If you could somehow remove all of their music from history you could still listen to everything else and think "Woah, something happened around this time, THAT sound wasn't there before and now it's everywhere!". 
    Trust you to come up with a really pertinent point and mention influence.

;)

You are, of course, spot on. It matters not whether he is viewed by anyone individually as good, bad, indifferent or whatever - there is a demonstrable influence from his playing, and Clayton, Mullen and reluctantly I suppose Bono too :)

But for christ's sake don't tell @ICBM I said that whatever you do...
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I just feel sorry for him being in a band with Boner for so long 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    You are, of course, spot on. It matters not whether he is viewed by anyone individually as good, bad, indifferent or whatever - there is a demonstrable influence from his playing, and Clayton, Mullen and reluctantly I suppose Bono too :)

lol

Adam Clayton is one of my biggest influences :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

lol

Adam Clayton is one of my biggest influences :).
    If you heard my bass playing you'd be convinced that Mr Clayton is aspirational for me... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    impmann said:
    So many people knock him, but genuinely, I think he is actually technically pretty good - playing sparsely, playing economically and playing *THE SONG* seems to be three things most guitarists find impossible to do, these days. Most of those held up as "great" guitar players overplay...

And those that cover his work tend to sound nothing like him, or anywhere near as 'clean' as his playing is.

I think this is even more true for bass. In my opinion, the best bass line for the song is usually stuff learned by beginners. I sing and play bass in my band so only have the ability to play simple lines but one time when my throat was too sore to sing I just played the bass and it was boring. So I realised a lot of fancy bass lines are written to avoid boredom than because it improves the song.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    thegummy said:
    impmann said:
    So many people knock him, but genuinely, I think he is actually technically pretty good - playing sparsely, playing economically and playing *THE SONG* seems to be three things most guitarists find impossible to do, these days. Most of those held up as "great" guitar players overplay...

And those that cover his work tend to sound nothing like him, or anywhere near as 'clean' as his playing is.

I think this is even more true for bass. In my opinion, the best bass line for the song is usually stuff learned by beginners. I sing and play bass in my band so only have the ability to play simple lines but one time when my throat was too sore to sing I just played the bass and it was boring. So I realised a lot of fancy bass lines are written to avoid boredom than because it improves the song.
    New Year's Day - Wouldn't have been the same with Jaco Pastorius
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom