The Edge - Full Rig Rundown

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    edited July 2018
    And another. I always find it incredibly depressing when people equate manual dexterity with musical worth.

By any standards the Edge is a GREAT musician. He creates great music on the guitar - by definition that is a great guitarist. Stop counting the notes and listen to the creativity!
    If dexterity were the sole measure of a guitatrist’s worth, someone like Ynvie Malmsteen would be considered ‘top of the pile’ - but to most of us, it’s unlistenable nonsense. 

All the players I like have a strong personality on the instrument - you can identify their playing from almost the first note. Widdly stuff leaves me entirely cold.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4916
    edited July 2018
    I love Dave me, he's great, innovative, a fellow gear nerd, and a brilliant songwriter. What's not to like? (And I'm not a huge U2 fan either) Plus he inspired one of my big fave players, Kevin Cadogan. Who is also a bit of an innovator in terms of tunings and sustainer use, so I like him even more for that, I love blues rock bores and sonic innovators equally! What gives!?

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8547
    This thread is only marginally different from the flat earth one for me. Bonkers we’re even arguing the case really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    dindude said:
    This thread is only marginally different from the flat earth one for me. Bonkers we’re even arguing the case really.
    Well, a flat earth would have an edge.........
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The bit I struggle to get my head around is how he uses all those different types of guitar without tweaking the amps. I have to adjust my amp with each of my 3 guitars to get the right balance of EQ and gain as they all sound different. How the hell does Edge get his Les Paul to sound right on the same settings as he has set for his Strat?
    This might just be about a different perspective. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've tended to do it too at times. I think it's easy to look for your sound no matter what guitar you play, so you make adjustments to the effects and amp to compensate for differences in the guitar. But if the whole point is that the guitars sound different, do you necessarily want to do that? Yeah, a strat will sound a lot thinner and not hit the rig as hard as the les paul from the song before, and the gretsch that follows will sound a bit middy and soft compared to both. But that's the whole point - they work for each specific song, the parts were written with those guitar's strengths and weaknesses in mind.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    Cirrus said:
    The bit I struggle to get my head around is how he uses all those different types of guitar without tweaking the amps. I have to adjust my amp with each of my 3 guitars to get the right balance of EQ and gain as they all sound different. How the hell does Edge get his Les Paul to sound right on the same settings as he has set for his Strat?
    This might just be about a different perspective. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've tended to do it too at times. I think it's easy to look for your sound no matter what guitar you play, so you make adjustments to the effects and amp to compensate for differences in the guitar. But if the whole point is that the guitars sound different, do you necessarily want to do that? Yeah, a strat will sound a lot thinner and not hit the rig as hard as the les paul from the song before, and the gretsch that follows will sound a bit middy and soft compared to both. But that's the whole point - they work for each specific song, the parts were written with those guitar's strengths and weaknesses in mind.
    This is how I've always approached it. Set the amp where it sounds good, then change guitars specifically to get different sounds, rather than changing the amp to make each guitar sound more alike. 

Then you might use certain pedals with certain guitars or whatever, but the basic amp tone goes unchanged.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1474
    And another. I always find it incredibly depressing when people equate manual dexterity with musical worth.

By any standards the Edge is a GREAT musician. He creates great music on the guitar - by definition that is a great guitarist. Stop counting the notes and listen to the creativity!
    If dexterity were the sole measure of a guitatrist’s worth, someone like Ynvie Malmsteen would be considered ‘top of the pile’ - but to most of us, it’s unlistenable nonsense. 

All the players I like have a string personality on the instrument - you can identify their playing from almost the first note. Widdly stuff leaves me entirely cold.... 
    Precisely. This isn't athletics, it's not sport. We're not meant to judge the technical proficiency. It's music - you're supposed to be moved by it, not impressed by it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
    edited July 2018
    From my perspective, I consider writing great songs and creating musical worth is quite different to being a great guitarist.  Bob Dylan is a fantastic song writer who creates great music - but most of his songs are around 3 chords - that doesn't mean he's automatically a great guitarist just because he writes great songs on guitar.   Pete Townshend is a great songwriter and musician, and live performer.  Keith Richards is similar. 

I'm not talking guitar wankery here - how many notes and the speed that these are played is meaningless without musical content, which is precisely why I used BIA as an example.  I'm not 'moved' in any way by speed-metal players regardless of their dexterity/speed picking.  

For me, being a great guitarist, whether the genre be classical, jazz, country, rock, blues, means having a certain level of mastery over their instrument...and I agree it's not just about lead runs. But if you consider the musicianship and skill of country players, they are IMO some of the best guitarists in the world.  Nile Rogers is probably one of the best funk rhythm players around.  I think where I struggle with regarding David Evans as a great guitarist, and whilst I readily acknowledge his masterly skill in using effects to shape his sound & musical style, take away those effects and there's a pretty basic player underneath.  You could argue that Jimmy Page, Clapton etc rely on effects too - but to a much lesser extent.  Their underlying playing skill is evident even with clean tones and on acoustic.  The Edge maybe a good songwriter, and a good overall musician, but he is IMO far too over-dependant on effects and doesn't have that same level of underlying skill.  

We all think differently and have our own views and rationale - and that's how it should be. I realise my views on this differ from probably most on here, but whilst I'm struggling to try & capture what exactly makes someone a great guitarist, I kind of know it when I hear it. And I'm sorry, but I simply don't rank The Edge as a great guitarist.  I like him immensely, and love U2, but that's quite different...at least to me. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    Voxman said:

For me someone like Mark Knopfler is a great guitarist - he just has such a wonderful touch & feel, and the way his mind works to naturally see playing patterns, riffs, licks etc that covers such a wide range of playing styles.  You just can't compare the Edge to a talent like that...it's not just technical, but there's a real underlying playing ability, & 'magic' there...the track 'Brothers in arms' isn't overly technical - but it just has an aura and atmosphere and feel that's wonderful.
    I listened to Knopfler playing alongside Clapton at Knebworth the other day - song called 'I Think I Love You Too Much'. The difference in feel, tone and technique was staggering. Knopfler sounded horrible on every level against EC.

Then again, he probably wouldn't be alone in that.

Still, at least we sorted out the issue of whether Edge is a great guitarist - didn't we?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3948
    That was excellent viewing. Cheers for sharing.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    Voxman said:

For me, being a great guitarist, whether the genre be classical, jazz, country, rock, blues, means having a certain level of mastery over their instrument...and I agree it's not just about lead runs. But if you consider the musicianship and skill of country players, they are IMO some of the best guitarists in the world.  Nile Rogers is probably one of the best funk rhythm players around.  I think where I struggle with regarding David Evans as a great guitarist, and whilst I readily acknowledge his masterly skill in using effects to shape his sound & musical style, take away those effects and there's a pretty basic player underneath.  You could argue that Jimmy Page, Clapton etc rely on effects too - but to a much lesser extent.  Their underlying playing skill is evident even with clean tones and on acoustic.  The Edge maybe a good songwriter, and a good overall musician, but he is IMO far too over-dependant on effects and doesn't have that same level of underlying skill.  

I understand what you're trying to say, but you're getting it backwards, and missing the point that a guitar part is written for the full instrument including the fx. The underlying "input guitar part" is simple because that's what's required to make the end result sound good. Anyone who's actually listened to U2 beyond the obvious radio hits knows that Edge is actually a fantastically inventive and melodic player who's actually just as happy without delay (Vertigo, Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, Mysterious Ways). Mysterious Ways is a great example (see below) - chunky, funky autowah but no delay. It's a simple part but it's the main hook of a great song, with a massive slide solo (on a 12-string!). Yes that solo has some delay, but most would have no chance of getting close to it. 

Frankly, Jimmy Page was and is sloppy as fuck and borderline unlistenable on many bootlegs. But relied on shitloads of volume gain to get him through (not to mention that no-one ever went to see Zep without a chunky dose of booze/weed/acid/etc.  And Clapton hasn't written more than couple of properly noteworthy songs in the last 35 years.  The blues rock crowd can't ever get their heads around the idea that music is about more than 12 bar rounds until you get to have a pentatonic solo. Bleh

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    @stickyfiddle - I agree about Page actually. He might have written some iconic solos but his live playing was pretty atrocious at times. Maybe that was the drugs. 

I would say John Paul Jones was a much more accomplished all rounder to be honest - Page always strikes me as being rather shrug shouldered about it all
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    Edge Loses Plot.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    Makes me laugh, this sort of "debate". People just trying to justify their own bias.

XXX is not a great guitarist because he doesn't match my own narrow view of what "great" means.

Well, maybe your definition of "great" if just plain wrong.

Back on topic: The Edge is clearly a truly great guitarist, in pretty much every relevant definition of the word "great".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Makes me laugh, this sort of "debate". People just trying to justify their own bias.

XXX is not a great guitarist because he doesn't match my own narrow view of what "great" means.

Back on topic: The Edge is clearly a truly great guitarist, in pretty much every relevant definition of the word "great".
    Lol. I agree with you.. so don’t take this the wrong way, but the TL:DR version of your post is:

“Everyone’s definition of “great” is too narrow and wrong, but mine is right because it covers every possible definition of “great” and thus can’t be wrong”

Or, you are all wrong but I’m right because.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057

Lol. I agree with you.. so don’t take this the wrong way, but the TL:DR version of your post is:

“Everyone’s definition of “great” is too narrow and wrong, but mine is right because it covers every possible definition of “great” and thus can’t be wrong”

;)

That's the trouble with a good rant... :)

;)

That's the trouble with a good rant... :)
    Lol - it was a good rant. A very agreeable one. But when I got to the end of it, I kinda thought “haaaaaaang on...”

:)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    Hattigol said:
    Voxman said:

For me someone like Mark Knopfler is a great guitarist - he just has such a wonderful touch & feel, and the way his mind works to naturally see playing patterns, riffs, licks etc that covers such a wide range of playing styles.  You just can't compare the Edge to a talent like that...it's not just technical, but there's a real underlying playing ability, & 'magic' there...the track 'Brothers in arms' isn't overly technical - but it just has an aura and atmosphere and feel that's wonderful.
    I listened to Knopfler playing alongside Clapton at Knebworth the other day - song called 'I Think I Love You Too Much'. The difference in feel, tone and technique was staggering. Knopfler sounded horrible on every level against EC.

Still, at least we sorted out the issue of whether Edge is a great guitarist - didn't we?
    See how pointless this is getting? I'd take Knopfler anyday over this Eric Clapman guy. (whoever that is)

I note that in this whole stupid thread barely anyone has talked shop. If you watched that video and want to discuss Edge instead of actually commenting on a fuck ton of cool gear and sounds then piss off. 

re the video:
    Deluxes on 3? interesting. Vox 1 sounds fascinating, I love that era's tones. 
    Lots of interesting bits. Dallas has a hell of a job 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Winny_Pooh - sorry, but no I won’t piss off.

Comments were made that I thought were wrong - implying the edge was shit and was just a few sausage fingered plucks with a fuck-tonne of delay. I suggested otherwise, which is in the spirit of the original post. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    Hattigol said:
    Voxman said:

See how pointless this is getting? I'd take Knopfler anyday over this Eric Clapman guy. (whoever that is)

I note that in this whole stupid thread barely anyone has talked shop. If you watched that video and want to discuss Edge instead of actually commenting on a fuck ton of cool gear and sounds then piss off. 

re the video:
    Deluxes on 3? interesting. Vox 1 sounds fascinating, I love that era's tones. 
    Lots of interesting bits. Dallas has a hell of a job 

You heard it right everyone. NO DISCUSSING THE EDGE ON A THREAD ABOUT, ERM, THE EDGE.

Good grief...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis