The Edge - Full Rig Rundown

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    I'm a lurker but I had to chip in..... Edge is one of my top influences, along with Lead Wallet, Gilmour and Malcolm Young.

One of the biggest lessons I ever learned was from Edge and that was  'play within the chord' to serve the song.

Recently I wrtote and recorded a scrarch pad demo of the most ridculously simple 3 chord trick song, inspired by me mucking around with a DD500. Now, I've written a few songs in my time, and some of them have even got a polite 'God loves a trier' type reception. Most of them had the 'classic' hard rock/metal stylings, lead work etc. but this new one is the antithesis of all that. Musician friends I've played it to have told me that I've actually written something good with that tune. It's got the same three chords in an unchanging pattern, in a non-standard song structure and NO overdrive at all....... I only used dynamics to make it all travel, along with some well chosen delay and reverb, and a Tele. It's even given gooseflesh to some..... and that's where I really want to be as a guitar player. The band I'm in like it so much, they want to record it. There's not a single bit of anything even remotely flash, playing wise, in the whole thing.

I grew up listing to rock/metal and I think I was brainwashed into thinking that speed/shred was a prerequisite for the 'good guitar' player medal; everything I did was done with the aim of making the grade as a 'rock' guitar player.  Not for the first time, I was wrong, as far as I'm concerned. After years of trying to figure what sort music I'd like to play in an original band, I decided to ban myself from using the rock cliches and stripped it all back. And I'm happier as a player for it.

Cheers, Edge. You may talk a load of wizards cum at times but when you strap on a guitar, oh man........ I'd take you over shred technique any day.

Cheers.
    Have a Wiz for being lovely. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a lurker but I had to chip in..... Edge is one of my top influences, along with Lead Wallet, Gilmour and Malcolm Young.

One of the biggest lessons I ever learned was from Edge and that was  'play within the chord' to serve the song.

Recently I wrtote and recorded a scrarch pad demo of the most ridculously simple 3 chord trick song, inspired by me mucking around with a DD500. Now, I've written a few songs in my time, and some of them have even got a polite 'God loves a trier' type reception. Most of them had the 'classic' hard rock/metal stylings, lead work etc. but this new one is the antithesis of all that. Musician friends I've played it to have told me that I've actually written something good with that tune. It's got the same three chords in an unchanging pattern, in a non-standard song structure and NO overdrive at all....... I only used dynamics to make it all travel, along with some well chosen delay and reverb, and a Tele. It's even given gooseflesh to some..... and that's where I really want to be as a guitar player. The band I'm in like it so much, they want to record it. There's not a single bit of anything even remotely flash, playing wise, in the whole thing.

I grew up listing to rock/metal and I think I was brainwashed into thinking that speed/shred was a prerequisite for the 'good guitar' player medal; everything I did was done with the aim of making the grade as a 'rock' guitar player.  Not for the first time, I was wrong, as far as I'm concerned. After years of trying to figure what sort music I'd like to play in an original band, I decided to ban myself from using the rock cliches and stripped it all back. And I'm happier as a player for it.

Cheers, Edge. You may talk a load of wizards cum at times but when you strap on a guitar, oh man........ I'd take you over shred technique any day.

Cheers.
    Have a Wiz for being lovely. :)
    Cheers, bud:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    edited July 2018
    Im not adding anything to the debate but I can 100% say that The Edge was the reason I began playing guitar in my teens. Back then I didn't care about scales, sweep picking or modes, his playing just sounded cool! Check out the 2nd video below, its the first solo I learnt all the way through I think.

Couple of my favourites (what a voice as well):

Nice bluesy solo in this one without too may effects like on earlier versions:

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited July 2018
    I think I understand his appeal and why he has influenced many folk to take up guitar.

Because he keeps things simple and unfussy combined with his  tone which can roughly be emulated with modern low priced delay effects, his economical style is a more sensibly attainable goal for those starting out than trying to imitate flashier and more technical players. 

As I said earlier,  he is a master of less is more and one of his strengths is that he knows when to play and when not to. Not unlike BB King he can often say more with 4 or 5 notes than many players can say with 30. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3053
    Voxman said:
    I think I understand his appeal and why he has influenced many folk to take up guitar.

Because he keeps things simple and unfussy combined with his  tone which can roughly be emulated with modern low priced delay effects, his economical style is a more sensibly attainable goal for those starting out than trying to imitate flashier and more technical players. 

As I said earlier,  he is a master of less is more and one of his strengths is that he knows when to play and when not to. Not unlike BB King he can often say more with 4 or 5 notes than many players can say with 30. 

What a bunch of condescending bollocks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875
    I like U2.  It's fine not to if you don't though.

Now thats over with... rip chunks off each other people, I want to see gouging...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Im not adding anything to the debate but I can 100% say that The Edge was the reason I began playing guitar in my teens. Back then I didn't care about scales, sweep picking or modes, his playing just sounded cool! Check out the 2nd video below, its the first solo I learnt all the way through I think.

Couple of my favourites (what a voice as well):

Nice bluesy solo in this one without too may effects like on earlier versions:

Me too! I still play this solo quite often. Love it.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Think this is the version I learned - or one from around that time. 

https://youtu.be/NUjvK916kOM
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Voxman said:

Damned by faint praise! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited July 2018
    So I watched it all the way through and found it interesting. I’m not a fan, though Achtung Baby was pretty big when I was a teenager I thought the sound he got for stuff like the fly was pretty cool. I had to chuckle when YouTube spat out the Derek Trucks one after and he goes “yeah I have one guitar and I plug it into this amp here”. 

I think he he owes a lot to Gilmour’s sound on The Wall. The pick thing was really interesting, I did go and watch a couple of their Glastonbury vids, you can really hear it. Their live sound is impressive, I wish Bono was less annoying because they would probably be a lot more accessible otherwise.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    ^ ‘Accessible’? They’re hardly a cult band - 120,000,000 album sales was the stat in the video, iirc.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12415
    I really don’t like U2 but you’ve go to give the Edge credit for doing his own thing. Going back to the Jack White/JP thing, those two are bluesy rock players where as Edge is absolutely not. A bit like putting a Jazz player with two metal players, he’s bound to be a bit non plussed. I loved the it might get loud doc but it was clear that he was the outsider in terms of his style.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    I really don’t like U2 but you’ve go to give the Edge credit for doing his own thing. Going back to the Jack White/JP thing, those two are bluesy rock players where as Edge is absolutely not. A bit like putting a Jazz player with two metal players, he’s bound to be a bit non plussed. I loved the it might get loud doc but it was clear that he was the outsider in terms of his style.
    Different rather than outsider - he did the gag about Stairway after all ;)

He's brilliant IMHO, adding textures/layers/vibe while Larry Mullen & Adam Clayton hold the tunes together. (As opposed to billions of notes per second guitar wank)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I have to wonder why the people who don't like normal guitar playing, and only like highly processed textures, don't just play the synth that does a much better job at that.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    I have to wonder why the people who don't like normal guitar playing, and only like highly processed textures, don't just play the synth that does a much better job at that.
    Yet, earlier, thegummy said:
    For me the take away from this thread is, firstly people have widely varying opinions on what a great guitarist is and none of them are and more or less wrong than the others, but more importantly, it's pointless to even think about how great a player is because the only thing that matters is what the music sounds like at the end.

Make your mind up. Or stop trolling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27194
    thegummy said:
    Because noone has *ever* looked cool playing a keytar...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Yet, earlier, thegummy said:
    For me the take away from this thread is, firstly people have widely varying opinions on what a great guitarist is and none of them are and more or less wrong than the others, but more importantly, it's pointless to even think about how great a player is because the only thing that matters is what the music sounds like at the end.

Make your mind up. Or stop trolling.

Excuse me?

The two comments aren't contradictory at all; one is saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion and all opinions are equal.

The other is referring to the posts that say how they only like the type of guitar that is highly processed and there for texture (and sometimes refer to traditional guitar styles in derogatory ways) because if they don't like any of the things a guitar does better, I wonder why they don't use a synth that does the things they like better.

I do not appreciate being attacked. I didn't think this was that kind of place.

If you misunderstand a post, by all means ask for clarification but don't accuse me of something or call me a "troll".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    That's not an attack, it's leg-pulling. Get over yourself ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    thegummy said:
    Because noone has *ever* looked cool playing a keytar...
    lol!

Dunno if "looking cool" is the word but this is pretty great in some way: (at 6 minutes 51 seconds, if the time link doesn't work)

thegummy said:

I do not appreciate being attacked. I didn't think this was that kind of place.

Attacked? You think that's an "attack"? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

"normal" guitar playing - WTF is that? You make the classic self-centred mistake of assuming that "most people" think just the way you do.

Take your blinkers off, and stop generalising based on your own opinion. People like different things. Not everyone wants a guitar to sound like Warren Haynes, and just because they don't does not mean they are not a great guitarist.

This doesn't make your own view wrong, but please stop assuming "most" people think the same way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom