Picard (contains spoilers)

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajl said:
    Not even sure what to make of that. Seems from “part 1” that we’re getting a huge, unapologetically retro, misty eyed rollercoaster through all of Treks past. And in the best Trek traditions, both probable outcomes and likely consequences are binned off for the sake of joining the story line dots. 
    Have faith. Everybody who's seen the first six episodes reckons this is a return to TNG/DS9/Voyager-style Trek, with proper writing that actually pays attention to characters rather than whining about feelings from generic cutouts. Everything I've seen so far corroborates that.
    Same. I'm somewhat nervous that the reviewers have only been given the first 6 eps, but so far 3/1 is the best thing with JLP since First Contact by lightyears, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 
    There are a few dyed-in-the-wool Trek-obsessed reviewers who've seen the whole thing - and they say that the ending is absolutely brilliant. They're trustworthy enough that I think we're safe.
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    Not even sure what to make of that. Seems from “part 1” that we’re getting a huge, unapologetically retro, misty eyed rollercoaster through all of Treks past. And in the best Trek traditions, both probable outcomes and likely consequences are binned off for the sake of joining the story line dots. 
    Have faith. Everybody who's seen the first six episodes reckons this is a return to TNG/DS9/Voyager-style Trek, with proper writing that actually pays attention to characters rather than whining about feelings from generic cutouts. Everything I've seen so far corroborates that.
    I’m so Trek that my white blood cells probably look like little Enterpirses. Not the fat one of course, no one wants that. 

I’ve found more than enough to enjoy in every single incarnation we’ve had and I’ll be very happy if they span this one out until Patrick is 127. If only to see how they manage to keep shoehorning Brent into each new series. I’ve really liked Picard not being “a trek series” and looking at that universe from a new angle, we’ve got two other series of folks in Starfleet uniforms rushing around the galaxy, boldly going. (Three with the brilliant Lower Decks) But if what we get now is a rollercoaster of old faces, memories and those gorgeous scores again, I’m buckled up with popcorn at the ready. 
    While I'd be happy enough for it to have been a different kind of Trek series - in a similar way to how DS9 incorporated the idea of an overarching storyline, basically B5 in the Trek universe. What I wasn't happy about with S1 and S2 was the fact that they completely threw away the character of Picard and his history, and we got Generic Bumbling Old Man instead. This seems...not that.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    Doh! You guys are tempting me back in... :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5805
    goldtop said:
    Doh! You guys are tempting me back in... :anguished: 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11878
    I'm just the right age to be one of those people who classed Picard as a second father growing up.  TNG has always been for me one of the best things ever put on television.

Without Trek in my life I wouldn't have ever seen "Yesterday's Enterprise" for the first time and been knocked for six by it when I was about 10 - the reality of war and wartime military service, the nature of nobility, and one of TV's greatest speeches all in 45 minutes.

DS9s pilot episode... the reality of Sisko's crushing grief over the loss of his wife becoming the foundation for a common ground with non-linear aliens... "if all that you say is true... then why do you exist here?"

nu-Trek so far has rarely reached those heights.  I think the genuinely alien aliens at the heart of Disco S4 were pretty close, Q's last wish being to give Picard another "second chance" in his life in Picard S2 was pretty close as well.

This new season of Picard might do it though.  Just has that feel about it...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    ...Oh and all three Lower Decks finales... that show is so good.
    dazzajl said:
    I’m so Trek that my white blood cells probably look like little Enterprises. Not the fat one of course, no one wants that. 

My white blood cells are all Galaxy class.  Just to clarify.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    I’m so Trek that my white blood cells probably look like little Enterprises. Not the fat one of course, no one wants that. 

My white blood cells are all Galaxy class.  Just to clarify.
    NCC1701. No bloody A, B,C orrrrr D! ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24629
    Just watched it.

I like it.

Shame about the once a week crap.
    Anyone notice we have had set up...

1.  The Galaxy class.
    2.  The Fleet museum.

Rumours about the fate of the Ent-D saucer, recovered from Veridian 3, being maybe paired with a battle section from a Galaxy class lost in the Dominion War...

So are we going to see a badly damaged Titan get to the fleet museum, in no condition to continue, and asking to borrow a ship...

The Enterprise D!  Is there a "squeee" emoji here?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

1.  The Galaxy class.
    2.  The Fleet museum.

Rumours about the fate of the Ent-D saucer, recovered from Veridian 3, being maybe paired with a battle section from a Galaxy class lost in the Dominion War...

So are we going to see a badly damaged Titan get to the fleet museum, in no condition to continue, and asking to borrow a ship...

That would definitely fit the whole vibe of what we’ve seen so far. They’ve already modelled and used it, so why not. 
  • dazzajl said:

1.  The Galaxy class.
    2.  The Fleet museum.

That would definitely fit the whole vibe of what we’ve seen so far. They’ve already modelled and used it, so why not. 

I think the Enterprise is pretty much the perfect design for a spaceship... I have models of nearly all the variants above my desk. That scene at the end of Disco season 1 where NCC-1701 was being revealed one digit at a time and eventually they pulled back to reveal the Enterprise right in front of the Disco had me almost crying with glee... if they bring her out in this series I think I might burst :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I’m almost disappointed that it’s not  Chekhov’s Fleet Musuem because the signposting is so blatant…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    Just watched it.

I like it.

Shame about the once a week crap.
    Yes same here.. I liked what I saw but its too early to make and real judgement..  If they had released the whole series at once I would have been very happy about that and probably watched the whole thing in one sitting.

Of course I could just wait till its finished and watch it then. But realistically theres no way thats happening  :) 
    I’m almost disappointed that it’s not  Chekhov’s Fleet Musuem because the signposting is so blatant…
    I thought exactly that joke, as you say.

I like how in the credits the museum is confirmed to include Voyager NCC-74656, the Excelsior NX-2000, the Enterprise NCC-1701-A and we know from last season at least the saucer of the Ent D..
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    I’m almost disappointed that it’s not  Chekhov’s Fleet Musuem because the signposting is so blatant…

I like how in the credits the museum is confirmed to include Voyager NCC-74656, the Excelsior NX-2000, the Enterprise NCC-1701-A and we know from last season at least the saucer of the Ent D..
    Yes I forgot to mention the end credits.. I thought that was really cool and actually watched it till the end which I dont usually do for any tv show.

I also liked how the intro no longer focuses on JLPs head as its not really just about him any more.
  • I’m almost disappointed that it’s not  Chekhov’s Fleet Musuem because the signposting is so blatant…

I can 100% see a final battle set up via "we can't trust anyone and we need powerful ships that aren't plugged into the current starfleet automated fleet management whatnot software. 

So you get Picard on the D, Riker on the A, Seven on Voyager and Worf on the Defiant... And I honestly don't know whether that would be riduculous or amazing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1759

So you get Picard on the D, Riker on the A, Seven on Voyager and Worf on the Defiant... And I honestly don't know whether that would be riduculous or amazing.
    Both - and we'd all love it even if it was completely silly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble said:

Both - and we'd all love it even if it was completely silly but written in believably
    Fixed that for you.
    <space for hire>
    Still perfectly possible to get cameos from Janeway or even Sisko, given Mulgrew is always hanging about to do Prodigy, she's more likely...
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3605

I can 100% see a final battle set up via "we can't trust anyone and we need powerful ships that aren't plugged into the current starfleet automated fleet management whatnot software. 

Make

It

So. 

I even welled up a little when I saw the end credits retro TNG font.