My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Also I think it’s fair to say that a 50s Les Paul top carve is much more 3D and complex than many 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2018
    Scott Lentz did a number of Conversions with a veneer over the original top (In the 80s). I had the chance to ask him why but didn't for some reason.
    I guess it was because people were demanding flame in the flame obsessed 80s? (The customer is always right)
    There was of course no real need for that as this thread has clearly shown. A Sunburst finish on fairly plain maple can be very beautiful and I would have been just as happy with that.

As seen before on the forum, this is my Lentz Conversion - with Veneer.
    The guitar was a 53 Goldtop from just before the change from trapeze to wrapover. The pots are dated week 16 (April).  Scott was very helpful answering my questions about the guitar and was able to tell me about the original customer and the work that was done on the guitar. He asked me for lots of detailed HQ photographs, even after he had id'd the guitar. I got the impression he loves seeing his work 25 years later?
    The butt end of the guitar has a black triangle where the Trapeze holes were. I love that bit and - I understand - it is a Scott Lentz "signature".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    Also I think it’s fair to say that a 50s Les Paul top carve is much more 3D and complex than many 
    Yes totally agree with that, having spent quite a few years carving them, they drove me nuts until i got sent a mapped top from a 56 to use on a copy carver

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    peteri said:
    And this is my 53/59 conversion Yuuki did

https://imgur.com/a/rV0MC
    That’s a very nicely done sunburst and I bet it plays and sounds lovely. Out of interest, did you get the opportunity to have that done as either a Goldtop or a burst? With that very obvious off-centre top join I’d have thought that would have been a great candidate to revert to gold personally. 
    peteri said:
    To be honest I didn’t get the chance because I got it ‘second hand’ - someone else had specced it. 

That said (and I love goldttops) i think I’d have gone burst - it looks wonderful in the flesh 
    Ah understood. Is it actually a three-piece top? I can’t quite tell from the pic. Because of the obvious top join it looks very similar to a 70s LP Standard I had back in the day. 
    Yep three piece, out at the moment will post pics of the guitar later where it shows more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Skipped said:
    Scott Lentz did a number of Conversions with a veneer over the original top (In the 80s). I had the chance to ask him why but didn't for some reason.
    I guess it was because people were demanding flame in the flame obsessed 80s? (The customer is always right)
    There was of course no real need for that as this thread has clearly shown. A Sunburst finish on fairly plain maple can be very beautiful and I would have been just as happy with that.

The guitar was a 53 Goldtop from just before the change from trapeze to wrapover. The pots are dated week 16 (April).  Scott was very helpful answering my questions about the guitar and was able to tell me about the original customer and the work that was done on the guitar. He asked me for lots of detailed HQ photographs, even after he had id'd the guitar. I got the impression he loves seeing his work 25 years later?
    The butt end of the guitar has a black triangle where the Trapeze holes were. I love that bit and - I understand - it is a Scott Lentz "signature".

Any chance of seeing your black triangle!?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:

Sorry about the shadow from the strap button.
    Scott's neat straight lines deserve a better photographer.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Skipped said:
    Iamnobody said:

Ta - a bit like a headstock stinger then but a erm... butt stinger!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Skipped said:

Skipped said:

That’s just like one I played at a meet up in London in 2015. @jumping@shadows  was there too. When did you get it? It could be the same guitar.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Iamnobody said:
    Skipped said:
    Iamnobody said:

Ta - a bit like a headstock stinger then but a erm... butt stinger!
    Aka a @Gassage ;
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:
    That’s just like one I played at a meet up in London in 2015. @jumping@shadows  was there too. When did you get it? It could be the same guitar.

I have had it 8 years so it won't be that one.

Maybe the top was from the same roll?  =)

• Ossyrocks said:

That's the first thing I thought too Rob, very similar to John's old one. 
  • Ossyrocks said:

That's the first thing I thought too Rob, very similar to John's old one. 
    John’s was a reneck/retop as I recall, and this one is much prettier imo. 
    I really like the black butt stinger- elegant and historically coherent solution :+1: 
  • Some really beautiful work going on here.

Personally I prefer PAF/humbuckers to P90s but that's going to be a stunning guitar whatever.

@jumping@shadows You are a proper craftsman and I'd love to be able to afford one of your restos. Bravo sir!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    i started reading this thread, gave up. standard FB shitfest these days 
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16753
    You missed a lot of good stuff... focus on that instead 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Wiz'd 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5067
    Hi @jumping@shadows, can you say how much this flamey beauty will be when it’s finished? Thanks.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    WezV said:
    And it’s gone back to a normal thread (yay!) 

plus - not standard I’d say - shitfests are getting less and less and decent content more and more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Les Pauls like this always tease and tempt me, I love the look and general aesthetic but I can’t get on with one no matter how hard I try
  • Hi @jumping@shadows, can you say how much this flamey beauty will be when it’s finished? Thanks.
    ONE MEEEELLLIIIIIIOOOOONNN POOOOUUUNNNDDS
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom