My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10835
    tFB Trader
    GuyR said:
    A shame, and to the detriment of all of us, to see yet another potentially joyous thread soiled.
    To be abusive undermines any worthwhile point you might make and surely must embarrass you in retrospect.

On another subject, jumping@shadows, that LP is player-grade taken to the limit. How could you cover that flame top with a solid colour which will always be a refin? A P90 burst prototype look would have been intriguing, but so it will be with PAFs. 
    Thanks for sharing your fabulous find. 
    Have a wisdom
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyR said:
    A shame, and to the detriment of all of us, to see yet another potentially joyous thread soiled.
    To be abusive undermines any worthwhile point you might make and surely must embarrass you in retrospect.

On another subject, jumping@shadows, that LP is player-grade taken to the limit. How could you cover that flame top with a solid colour which will always be a refin? A P90 burst prototype look would have been intriguing, but so it will be with PAFs. 
    Thanks man, that’s exactly the spirit in which I posted about it, and after an initially sour start thanks to @p90fool who now seems less open to sharing his impulses, I think this has been a positive thread :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3657
    newi123 said:
    jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:

I've seen less insults in a Brexit thread!!
    This thread doesn't have as many insults as the one about the Archers though....
    I missed that one.

Can I qualify that by saying I'm not a fan of the Archers, or is that likely to drag the tone of this thread down even further?
    I find the Archers in the car to be very therapeutic. Same goes for the shipping forecast on the way home from a rock gig......

The recent episode where Joe Grundy came across an old donkey, lengthened it`s legs, sorted it`s teeth and then resprayed it to a thoroughbred brown and sold it as a replica race horse was a little controversial I thought......... 

tHE SHIPPING FORCAST IS A BIT MORE COLOURFUL THAN I REMEMBER.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3657
    My caps lock is sticky.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1990
    edited August 2018
    I think the abuse was uncalled for, but we're all geeky about this stuff and P90's a good guy elsewhere (despite being Welsh  - Give him a nuggy), so just passionate about this one - We can all see why. 

I'm not familiar with Yuuki, but anyone willing to show us their personal treasure is very kind in my book.

Personally I prefer PAFs and although this guitar has been routed already, I'd be trying it with P90s initially and cut into it afterwards (depends on the tone results). I think this would be better from an investors point of view, but I don't know the market for this kind of thing - Yuuki will.

Lets just go back to the courteous thing and forgive the odd hop house/bourbon fueled outburst...

That said, you 'pickguard off' (and Telecaster) guys disgust me - A damn good 'sack-whack' is what you need. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    Having read some of the nasty comments, i just couldn't be arsed to read the next 2 pages and I'm finding this forum more and more full of shitty attitudes and people 

It's his guitar and he can do what he wants to it, you can either follow along if it floats your boat or fuck off, very simple really

If this was my personal guitar I'd bring it back to a goldtop, I'm really on the fence with which is better out of p90 goldtops and bursts, out of a 58 and a 54 i tried I'd have taken the 54 home but i completely understand the route yukki is taking and it'll turn out great, no idea what it'll cost but i know I'll never be able to afford one so will carry on making my own whilst watching beautiful vintage guitars come to life

I hope he lets me have a go though @jumping@shadows

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The thing I hate about guitar culture is the religious othodoxy of what an instrument should be. It's a beautiful guitar & will look amazing whatever its owner decides. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I've heard similar debate regarding resetting necks on vintage nationals, a large well known dealer in states routinely resets necks on 20's and 30's duilions. A lot of them are unplayable and need it and others don't. A few well known players believe that resetting the neck changes the tone. I've heard some rather passionate 'debate' on the subject. 
    If it's honest about what it is, i have no problem with it at all. If I could afford it and liked it, I'd buy it. I actually think it is more desirable if it was unique i.e. Burst with P90's. Be great if it was sold with a picture story of how the guitar is brought back to life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    GuyR said:

Thanks man, that’s exactly the spirit in which I posted about it, and after an initially sour start thanks to p90fool who now seems less open to sharing his impulses, I think this has been a positive thread :+1: 
    Did you really have to poke him?  @jumping@shadows I think what he said was over the top and I disagree with his position but no need to goad p90fool by tagging him like that.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10835
    tFB Trader
    Personally I think everyone needs a healthy swig of 'calm the fuck down' whatever the rights or wrongs.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27766
    Having read some of the nasty comments, i just couldn't be arsed to read the next 2 pages and I'm finding this forum more and more full of shitty attitudes and people 

Really?

This thread was "drawn to my attention" yesterday morning, at which point I deleted the - single - "nasty" comment and the subsequent re-quotes of it.  Though why people have to re-quote something thats clearly inappropriate is beyond me - that just re-broadcasts it (and makes sure that everyone sees it) and turns the focus of the thread onto the comment rather than the giutar.

Oh, and makes the modmin's job harder to clean the thread up.

But since I edited the thread, we've had even more hand-wringing comments about how nasty this thread / forum has become.  The more you say it, the more it is so.  If you see something "shitty", then FLAG IT so a modmin can deal with it.  Don't repost it and dont derail the thread talking about it.

Alternatively, everyone can just get back to talking about the guitar and the work being done it.

Please.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MD said:
    GuyR said:

Thanks man, that’s exactly the spirit in which I posted about it, and after an initially sour start thanks to p90fool who now seems less open to sharing his impulses, I think this has been a positive thread :+1: 
    Did you really have to poke him?  @jumping@shadows I think what he said was over the top and I disagree with his position but no need to goad p90fool by tagging him like that.   
    I’m wondering if it might prompt him to apologise for publicly calling me a dickhead, and whether after reading the subsequent comments from the forum he’s reflected on his actions- pretty reasonable I think @Adam_MD @p90fool ;
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018

WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER
    @TTony sorry I’ve removed my last comment.
  • jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
    edited August 2018
    It’s a shame what should have been a fun read about a cool guitar immediately descended into the gutter thanks to one member, with apparently such flippant and personal attacks being pretty normal on TFB overall, and other members looking on in exasperation and commenting on the general sour, negative attitude of late, but the subsequent discussion has been cool...it’s just disappointing the one U.K. forum of any size and vitality is one I’m really not motivated to participate in, thanks to the lack of the most basic social decorum, and it’s notable and telling how so many others have come forward who feel the same.

Also- I chat shit about guitars from morning till night with people all over the planet online and in person, and know a good few guys on here through Denmark St, MLP/LPF, Facebook, TGP, Guitarist Magazine etc, and have zero need to advertise my services, or any guitars I may have for sale (which isn’t really the focus of what I do these days in fact), so all I want to do is see what’s going on in the U.K. community, and what people are into and excited about, and what dramas may be afoot on this very small domestic scene..

I have no mercenary intent in doing so either as I can barely move for jobs in hand, and anything I do have for sale is generally presold months in advance of completion, so have no ulterior motive to be exposed, and have never felt scrutinised in such a light in 20 odd years contributing in all the other forums and scenes I frequent- anyone who knows me in those contexts would agree too, I’m sure. 

There’s clearly good blokes on here, and I think the general ongoing positive tone of the thread reflects that, but TFB is an odd place vs so many other massive online guitar/gear communities, and I hope things can get straightened out so it remains a valued destination, and not just a last resort. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER
    That's exactly how i feel which is a shame and one reason why i probably don't post much up anymore
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    It’s a shame what should have been a fun read about a cool guitar immediately descended into the gutter thanks to one member, with apparently such flippant and personal attacks being pretty normal on TFB overall, and other members looking on in exasperation and commenting on the general sour, negative attitude of late, but the subsequent discussion has been cool...it’s just disappointing the one U.K. forum of any size and vitality is one I’m really not motivated to participate in, thanks to the lack of the most basic social decorum, and notable and telling how so many others feel the same.
    Let it go now. Jesus, read the post from ttony, shake yourself off and go about your day
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Right then, i think that's probably enough.

Perhaps we'll just close the forum down now.  Doesnt seem like anything much has changed, apart from more people complaining about it.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Right then, i think that's probably enough.

Perhaps we'll just close the forum down now.  Doesnt seem like anything much has changed, apart from more people complaining about it.
    People aren't complaining about it, don't take it personally Tony,  i think there are just a few bloody negative peeps spoiling it, no idea why we can't get decent support from others like minded and leave constructive criticism without the nasty crap, nowt queer as folk as they say
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom