My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:

How about a P90 and an Alnico V staple???
    That would be my second choice - but I simply associate them more with the all-mahogny Custom than a maple-top.
    Yeah, I'd be intrigued to hear what that pickup would sound like in a maple-topped LP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1743
    Thanks for sharing and for the record I’m in ur camp of a conversion. 
    Look forward to seeing the end result 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    I don't give a crap about some psychological idea of a "correct guitar". Anyone who does is forgetting that they're all bits of dead tree meant to play music on.
    Quite. If the puritans had their way, Jeff Beck would never have modded that 54 Les Paul with 'buckers and that awesome tone on 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' would never have been committed to tape.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    newi123 said:
    mbe said:
    If making money was jumping@shadows' main objective he would repurpose it as an authentic replica of Neil Young's Old Black.
    If it was his sole objective he wouldn’t take the time out to share it all with us - something we should be grateful of - he’s a busy chap and he charges nothing to share these lovely projects with us. We often forget that people often see no value in something that costs nothing.
    Or you could view this thread as free advertising..........
    Cynically, you could do.. yes.. but I’d rather buy from a known quantity than a shot in the dark with unknown track record. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Brize said:
    I don't give a crap about some psychological idea of a "correct guitar". Anyone who does is forgetting that they're all bits of dead tree meant to play music on.
    Quite. If the puritans had their way, Jeff Beck would never have modded that 54 Les Paul with 'buckers and that awesome tone on 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' would never have been committed to tape.
    I never forgave Francis Rossi for that big hole and that extra pickup. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    P90s are betterer than humbuckers, imho. I wouldn’t go down that route, personally.. I think it’s a shame, but, hey ho..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1990
    Keep the lovely burst top and put creme p90s and a creme pickguard on it please. A nice honey burst would be great. Pictures when you're done. Please and thank you.

(Welcome back TTony)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10835
    tFB Trader
    newi123 said:
    mbe said:
    If making money was jumping@shadows' main objective he would repurpose it as an authentic replica of Neil Young's Old Black.
    If it was his sole objective he wouldn’t take the time out to share it all with us - something we should be grateful of - he’s a busy chap and he charges nothing to share these lovely projects with us. We often forget that people often see no value in something that costs nothing.
    It may be advertising but it's not free. Taking time out of building, repairing etc in order to share photographs and text costs in time not spent directly earning a crust. Conversely that time spent helps entertain, enlighten and encourage forum members. It's an exchange. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    newi123 said:
    mbe said:
    It may be advertising but it's not free. Taking time out of building, repairing etc in order to share photographs and text costs in time not spent directly earning a crust. Conversely that time spent helps entertain, enlighten and encourage forum members. It's an exchange. 

Totally agree. I had huge fun when we did the Ric-o-like Pickup, call it advertising or whatever, it was hugely entertaining 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10835
    tFB Trader
    newi123 said:
    mbe said:

Totally agree. I had huge fun when we did the Ric-o-like Pickup, call it advertising or whatever, it was hugely entertaining 
    I also enjoyed doing it. :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TA22GT said:
    "What it really needs is a Bigsby."

Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    If there's going to be routing involved anyway, why not just route a bit more and go for a Floyd Rose? ;)

*runs like hell*
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16819
    Does someone like Yuuki need to advertise?  Fairly sure he has enough to keep him busy.  Therefore, I will assume he is here because he wants to talk guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • A nice copy of that Hank Williams Cherry Red Les Paul would be nice...
    WezV said:
    Does someone like Yuuki need to advertise?  Fairly sure he has enough to keep him busy.  Therefore, I will assume he is here because he wants to talk guitars
    Yep. My thoughts exactly. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Rock on YM/PGV. 

I do like the idea of it staying gold too but it is a rather special top that. It's a topcraftsman geetardude's choice to carve the neck tenon how he wishes ultimately. 

A bit plainer on the flame and that would have been killer p90 cherry wraptail or full Clappo-Harriso-PAF- loaded cherry goodness as well. 

Anyhoo, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

H

www.proudhoney.com

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6210
    The good news is that Yuuki has been around long enough to have dealt in person with much bigger a***holes than anyone on this thread. :)

If you believe the Burst recipe is something special, this conversion is no-brainer.

There are more than enough '50s P90 goldtops to go around (hence their low prices).
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1496
    I think that looks absolutely fabulous and would make it into a bust myself, if I owned it and had the skill.  I have a 52/53 conversion that I've owned for years and think it is one of the best guitars I have played.  the conversion was done way back in the 60's and they inlaid a block for the bridge and tailpiece, rather than changing the neck angle, but it has aged really well and is probably the closest to a real 58/59/60 Les Paul that I will ever own.

I think doing this with the older guitars gives people chance to really play and own a vintage Gibson, where they never would be able to otherwise.

Also, looking at the past videos on the work done with some of these conversions, I'm sure that it will be really tastefully done and will look superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm struggling to understand how anyone could care so much about what someone else does with their own guitar.

To try and understand I was trying to compare it to maybe someone destroying an ancient relic or when Isis destroyed historic buildings but it just doesn't seem to be close to that to me.

A question I'd have for the OP - what's the benefit of doing this on an old 50s model rather than just using a more recent guitar that already has humbuckers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23275
    thegummy said:
    A question I'd have for the OP - what's the benefit of doing this on an old 50s model rather than just using a more recent guitar that already has humbuckers?
    "Old Wood".  And the chance of finding a nice flame top hidden away under the gold paint, I'd imagine.  But mostly Old Wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    A shame, and to the detriment of all of us, to see yet another potentially joyous thread soiled.
    To be abusive undermines any worthwhile point you might make and surely must embarrass you in retrospect.

On another subject, jumping@shadows, that LP is player-grade taken to the limit. How could you cover that flame top with a solid colour which will always be a refin? A P90 burst prototype look would have been intriguing, but so it will be with PAFs. 
    Thanks for sharing your fabulous find. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom