Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Official FB Jam - Sasquatch (Huddersfield) Edition - 16/17th February 2019 - Weekender!!

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    Is there a drummer for the gig?

whats the key choice for “all along the watchtower” think Dylan’s version is in c#, Hendrix in c

same for ace of spades - think original is tuned Eb
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 917
    edited January 2019
    I'm still hoping to make the Sunday for a bit of off piste jamming with the digital/frfr rig but I have gigs on Friday and Saturday so may be knackered(!).

If anyone's around on the Friday night, we're playing The Bridge Bar in Manchester Road, Huddersfield and it would be good to see you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddly said:
    I'm still hoping to make the Sunday for a bit off off piste jamming with the digital/frfr rig but I have gigs on Friday and Saturday so may be knackered(!).

If anyone's around on the Friday night, we're playing The Bridge Bar in Manchester Road, Huddersfield and it would be good to see you.
    I've got a YBTB booking in Barrow until 5, but I'll be back in Huddersfield around half 7. Once I've unloaded and had some grub I'll be up for some beers and a gig. That's fairly close to my house too  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    drwiddly said:
    I'm still hoping to make the Sunday for a bit off off piste jamming with the digital/frfr rig but I have gigs on Friday and Saturday so may be knackered(!).

some of us are but likely starting in Magic Rock as the hotel is next door. would still be great to see you play, is The Bridge Bar far?
    At a guess it's about 3 miles away so a cab ride? We'll be on about 9:15. Be great to see a few of you there, if you can make it.
  • drwiddly said:
    At a guess it's about 3 miles away so a cab ride? We'll be on about 9:15. Be great to see a few of you there, if you can make it.
    It's not that far. You can walk it from the town centre in ten minutes. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Doh! I was thinking about distance from Bob's studio rather than the hotel!   :s
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    half hour walk or 10 min cab ride according to G Maps. will mention it on the day to the others, see if we can be prised out of the brewery.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    A half-hour walk will sound absolutely great after a few pints :)
    mrkb said:
    Is there a drummer for the gig?

whats the key choice for “all along the watchtower” think Dylan’s version is in c#, Hendrix in c

same for ace of spades - think original is tuned Eb

@modellista @legionreturns ; ?? Thanks.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited January 2019
    ^  Hendrix will be tuning to Eb to play watchtower in C. With the same chords as Dylan (C#m, B, A).

The subject of detuning to Eb has come up before and I believe the consensus was it’s just too much faff, even though including GnR there’s at least three on the list that are in Eb. I tend to agree, although it’s only the work of a moment to retune and it does help the singers.  Overall I think it's a can of worms that should remain unopened.

The trick is not to learn the Eb songs in standard tuning because then everything will be one fret too low. Practice Eb songs with the guitar tuned to Eb and then the fingerings will be correct when tuned to E.  

No idea about the drummer, is @differs doing it?
    Ok, so Ace of spades is going to be sung a semitone higher than the original? I’ll tweak a recording in audacity to make sure I’m practicing at the right pitch.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • OK, dudes...my visa came through today, so it's confirmed that I'll be taking an overseas trip to deal with some family matters abroad. I will miss the jam, but hopefully will be able to see some of you at the Guitar Show in Birmingham.

Unfortunately, I can't avoid it but I'm really bummed I can't get to the jam. I never get to play with people other than my band and I'll really miss the immediacy and fun.
    OK, dudes...my visa came through today, so it's confirmed that I'll be taking an overseas trip to deal with some family matters abroad. I will miss the jam, but hopefully will be able to see some of you at the Guitar Show in Birmingham.

Unfortunately, I can't avoid it but I'm really bummed I can't get to the jam. I never get to play with people other than my band and I'll really miss the immediacy and fun.
    You'll be missed, dude!  Think of the spreadsheet!!!

mrkb said:
    Ok, so Ace of spades is going to be sung a semitone higher than the original? I’ll tweak a recording in audacity to make sure I’m practicing at the right pitch.
    Unless you can convince everyone to tune down to Eb, then it looks like yes.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    My sincere apologies - I’ve got a load of very difficult family stuff happening at the moment - so unfortunately I won’t be able to attend.

Really sorry.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Right, put me down for vox on L'il Devil so Mr B can rip out his drum chops, and I'll brush it up a bit more over the next couple of weeks. Unless there are howls of hysterical laughter from those at Herts today (which would be fine :))

Not saying it'll be good, but it'll be ... Something.

• @richardhomer sorry to hear it and best wishes!
    My sincere apologies - I’ve got a load of very difficult family stuff happening at the moment - so unfortunately I won’t be able to attend.

Really sorry.
    Hope everything works out - you'll be missed!  All the best.