Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cases

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
One of my guitars is going to be leaving the house for the first time as I am going to start having lessons to hopefully aid my progress.
I am after suggestions for a case, LP shape, not to expensive, that will protect the guitar reasonabley well.
This isn"t for gigging & won"t have a hard life.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Gator - about £70 from GAK etc.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Funnily enough I was looking at a Gator case, GC LPS, ABS case.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Just get the best and be done with it. You'll never need another case.

https://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products/hiscox-electric-gibson-guitar-hardcase-std-eg?variant=829761651&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwzenbBRB3EiwAItS-u92xVy6o4CAZhBQXYeXI7myBpIcmWCm6FUWqtiCHGE00CwxrBhEWzBoCF6QQAvD_BwE

The other ABS-type cases are not the same, even though they look similar - the Hiscox has a unique construction which makes it far stronger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    Does it need to be a hard case - they are hand carry only and a bit unwieldy in small corridors/staircases. The PRS style soft case has rucksack style straps and is well padded - I use mine over a hard case every time. They come with the lower end PRS, so should be available secondhand.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Hiscox. Doesn't matter that you're not gigging, bad things can still happen.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5534
    You can get the Gator one for about £60, or Thomann do their own one for just over £50 delivered.
  • Hiscox ...no brainer! Could probably pick up a second hand one for £50

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5054
    mrkb said:
    Does it need to be a hard case - they are hand carry only and a bit unwieldy in small corridors/staircases. The PRS style soft case has rucksack style straps and is well padded - I use mine over a hard case every time. They come with the lower end PRS, so should be available secondhand.
    This. I’ve used PRS SE gigbags for many years, going to and from gigs with Gibsons in them, and I’ve never had a problem (touch wood). Mind you, you can’t go wrong with Hiscox either, if you want the extra protection of a hard case and have the storage space for it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Get a Hiscox. You can attach a shoulder strap if you want, and it's a far better case than anything else without spending about three times as much
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Another vote for Hiscox on the hard case or to add Mono as a gig bag.

They're the only two I use - well made, hardwearing and protect the guitar well.

All you need is a zip to fail or a case handle to break and it's a lot more money lost than you've saved on a cheaper case.

I used to spend a lot of time shotgun shooting, there the cases (similar to gigbags) are zipped and unzipped at every stand - so you open and close them more. I several times saw zips fail and the stock on the gun break (same as a neck break on a guitar) when it hit the ground - just not worth the risk

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    +1 on Hiscox. I've seen one go down several flights of stairs onto a concrete floor without even disturbing the tuning. They will fall apart with a serious head on collision but they are designed to do that as they act as a crumple zone rather than having your guitar snap in two. Lightweight, made in the UK, good range of shapes, not cheap but not silly money. Possibly the only no brainer  in the world of guitar gear.
    Assuming needing an LP shape means you have an LP or similar its a shape that's pretty vulnerable to breaks ( I'm more fine with a gig bag for a strat/ tele) so if it's worth more than £200 ( arbitrary figure but clearly a £99 case will be a bit OTT if it's a £60 Harley Benton) then Hiscox.   

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    This. I’ve used PRS SE gigbags for many years, going to and from gigs with Gibsons in them, and I’ve never had a problem (touch wood). Mind you, you can’t go wrong with Hiscox either, if you want the extra protection of a hard case and have the storage space for it.
    agree with Hiscox

Plus good padded bag option - PRS or MONO better still - if you are personally looking after the gig bag, so no roadies in the back of a tranny van full of gear etc, then a good big bag is fine and more practical on the move
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I have a Mono for gigging - it is indeed superb. In fact I have two.

However, if I had a Gibson style headstock I’d have a Hiscox for it....
  • 2nd hand mono gigbag for me, 
  • Hiscox. Doesn't matter that you're not gigging, bad things can still happen.
    +1 on the hiscox front. I took a tumble down some stairs at a guitar show while holding two VERY expensive guitars in hiscox cases and there wasn't a scratch on them.
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The *only* type of gig bag to trust with a Les Paul is a Mono or something of that quality level with proper neck support/protection - the PRS is a good bag but not for a Gibson, likewise nor is the Gibson one! They are too 'straight' and actively put stress on the headstock.

A Mono is actually more expensive than a Hiscox - I use them for both guitar and bass, because their other advantages are useful to me, but if I didn't need to occasionally carry my instruments on public transport I would get Hiscoxes. And I still wouldn't put a Mono in a van with a Gibson in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    I've recently bought a Mono for moving Gibsons.  Very well made, good neck support but agreed only for personal transport, not chucking in a van.  The top of the headstock just looks a bit close to the back of the case to me, if there was impact from that direction.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    There is only ever one case...... Hiscox
    I always keep forgetting to mention the Kinsman semi-rigid cases too - they do a good job of protecting the guitar, although the case itself tends not to be that durable and gets scruffy quite quickly if it's used a lot. Not a bad option if you really need to spend less than a Hiscox though.

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    I bought a used Hiscox and it is superb. The only questions is why wouldn't you?