Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cases

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    No arguments that a Hiscox is a good case, & yes I may upgrade to a dearer LP "style" guitar in the future but where do you buy these used Hiscox cases for £50 from ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    baldy said:
    No arguments that a Hiscox is a good case, & yes I may upgrade to a dearer LP "style" guitar in the future but where do you buy these used Hiscox cases for £50 from ?
    Ebay. £50 is rare though, closer to £60 plus postage is more the going rate.

For the Hohner you may be right that it isn't worth it - especially if it has a scarfed headstock joint, which it probably will.

When you look at the back of the neck, is there a join in the wood that runs straight across roughly at the two E machineheads, or a tapering angled one that runs up to under around the 2nd fret? The second type is very strong and you probably don't need to worry about a good case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2018
    The Hohner is a Rockwood LX250G & I can"t see any joint at all.
    I only gave £30 for it but it is in near mint condition & actually plays & sound really nice.
    I find I am playing it in preference to my Yamaha 611 & RGX"s.
    There is only one used Hiscox LP style case on ebay at the moment at £30 with 4 days to run & collection only which would cost me around £30 to collect.
    My lessons start the end of next week so I would like to have something by then should I decide to take it for lessons & not one of the Yamaha"s.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    baldy said:
    I only gave £30 for it but it is in near mint condition & actually plays & sound really nice.
    I find I am playing it in preference to my Yamaha 611 & RGX"s.
    There is only one used Hiscox LP style case on ebay at the moment at £30 with 4 days to run & collection only which would cost me around £30 to collect.
    My lessons start the end of next week so I would like to have something by then should I decide to take it for lessons & not one of the Yamaha"s.
    If you can find a used PRS SE gigbag for £20 or less that would be perfect for that guitar imho.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited August 2018

baldy
    said:

I only gave £30 for it

Black bin bag should do then!
    Keep the rain off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    baldy said:
    It's a certainty there is one on that model, but if the finish is dark you may not see it. I would guess the first type, as it's much more common on budget guitars. Either type is stronger than a Gibson though!

A good gig bag or a Stagg/Kinsman type semi-hard case should be as good as you really need, but keep a look out for a cheap used Hiscox too. What I wouldn't do is pay more than about £50 for any other type of new ABS case, they really aren't very good. A used one at £20-£30 would be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I've been using these cases for years,, mainly to send out Les Paul's to my customers via UPS, never had a guitar break yet.  Quite sure using one to transport a guitar to from home to your guitar lessons this would be perfect, sensibly priced last a lifetime. Not in the same league as Hiscox, but there again, you're not looking for a flight case to go gigging round the world.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
    edited August 2018
    Hiscox would get my vote for hardcases especially as they're based in the UK, although for my Gibson the case it came with is just as good. As for GigBags, Mono are great but I'd actually buy one of these Fusion Bags for less money, extremely well made, thick padding, and decent neck support. UK company as well, as oppposed to Mono which are US I believe.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/products/f1-electric-guitar-gig-bag

Or I'd get a Suhr gigbag, both cheaper options equally as well made and protective. I'd have no qualms taking my Gibson out in either with the caveat that only I was solely responsible for them!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• The case may "outlive" the guitar, should you ever change your guitar.

IMO it's not a question of is the case "worth more than" the guitar, it's one of what am I willing to spend to protect a guitar I like.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Another vote for Hiscox. They’re also better insulated, thermally, than other cases. That lets you travel to a lesson/gig/friend’s house and arrive with the guitar still in tune, even at -15 degrees (I speak from experience of German winters). 
     I just bought a used PRS SE gig bag for £25 locally.
    That should do for transporting the guitar to & from lessons.
    Thanks to everybody for the advice.