Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cases

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    looking at above and it appears the conclusion is

Hiscox for strength and safety

Mono for practicality and if you are careful and handle yourself - To be honest I would not let any one else handle my guitars anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    looking at above and it appears the conclusion is

Hiscox for strength and safety

Mono for practicality and if you are careful and handle yourself - To be honest I would not let any one else handle my guitars anyway
    Fnarr!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    ICBM - We have talked a lot (on this forum) about Les Paul neck angles, and the consequences for bridge height. And break angle.
    And I have posted (a lot) about the need to take care if you are buying a Gibson Protector case. Or if you are buying a Les Paul case with no arch on the lid.....

Are you able to say that the Hiscox case can cope with these (considerable) variables? Not just variables in the history of the Gibson Les Paul. Current production variables from the Custom Shop. And does the Hiscox case keep the headstock off the deck? Is the padding over the bridge deep? Or.....is there a pad over the lower bout instead? (To stop tipping).  I have a hunch that you would know.
    The Hiscox case does look like the go-to case and I don't think it is expensive.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Skipped said:
    ICBM - We have talked a lot (on this forum) about Les Paul neck angles, and the consequences for bridge height. And break angle.
    And I have posted (a lot) about the need to take care if you are buying a Gibson Protector case. Or if you are buying a Les Paul case with no arch on the lid.....

Are you able to say that the Hiscox case can cope with these (considerable) variables? Not just variables in the history of the Gibson Les Paul. Current production variables from the Custom Shop. And does the Hiscox case keep the headstock off the deck? Is the padding over the bridge deep? Or.....is there a pad over the lower bout instead? (To stop tipping).  I have a hunch that you would know.
    The Hiscox case does look like the go-to case and I don't think it is expensive.
    I can't say for certain because it's actually fairly rare to see a Les Paul in a Hiscox - most are in Gibson cases - but I don't think I've ever seen one which didn't fit properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I bought a Hiscox LP case from Mr Stormshadow and it's a perfect fit for my 1981 std
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • If only taking it out for guitar lessons a gig bag is more than suitable. Plus you can wear it as a ruck sack as already mentioned and there's extra compartments for cables, picks, tuner etc etc. 

Hard cases are only necessary if in a vehicle in a touring band situation as it gets flung around a lot. I use the Ritter gig bags (not sure if they are still going though) and have a couple of the Hiscox cases for tours. Very good.
    I have a "Tic" for my mono case - clips on to it and fits a Pedaltrain Nano in with pedals on, plus a few cables etc. Makes it a really portable solution for gigging
  • @Lestratcaster ; I disagree. You can trip up in the street, fall down the stairs, have someone bump into you so as to make the guitar fall to the ground, or one of any number of accidents. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    @Lestratcaster ; I disagree. You can trip up in the street, fall down the stairs, have someone bump into you so as to make the guitar fall to the ground, or one of any number of accidents. 
    Well you shouldn’t be so effin clumsy then!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What @Bridgehouse said haha. I've managed alright for over a decade.
  • @Lestratcaster ; I disagree. You can trip up in the street, fall down the stairs, have someone bump into you so as to make the guitar fall to the ground, or one of any number of accidents. 
    Try telling that to other people. But yeh, I'm old and clumsy. I know it, so I do what I can to mitigate.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited August 2018
    I live in a house full of kids and dogs. My axes don't live in a hard case unless being used? They get battered.

Hiscox and Gibson hard cases - always been good so far.
    @Lestratcaster ; I disagree. You can trip up in the street, fall down the stairs, have someone bump into you so as to make the guitar fall to the ground, or one of any number of accidents. 
    Try telling that to other people. But yeh, I'm old and clumsy. I know it, so I do what I can to mitigate.
    Bubble wrap trousers and coat?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    I'd quite like a Mono bodysuit. I tripped over in the street last week and broke my arm, but I'd take a bet that if I'd been carrying my Mono gig bag at the time my bass would have been fine :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I'd quite like a Mono bodysuit. I tripped over in the street last week and broke my arm, but I'd take a bet that if I'd been carrying my Mono gig bag at the time my bass would have been fine :).
    Only if your mono bodysuit had a rubber elbow boot... and you'd want a top loader or you'd have to lie down to piss....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited August 2018
    As others have said, Hiscox as number one choice. Soft cases such as Mono, or Reunion Blues, can be considered, but are more expensive than a Hiscox. I've a Reunion Blues case, which I use for occasional travel to Europe (though I pay for a plane seat for it and it's contents) which has the convenience of some external pockets to store various bits and music in.

Also, I learnt the hard way about this. I bought an Epiphone LP years ago, and was literally about to ask about the cost of a Hiscox Case, when the guy in the shop offered me a decently padded gig bag for a good price. Foolishly I bought it ----> a month later, the LP in gig bag just slid off my shoulder in a car park, resulting in the cost of a Headstock repair. I bought a Hiscox Case when I got my repaired guitar back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Another vote for Hiscox they are great cases.  Having said that, my LP is in an Epiphone hard case but it is a nice snug fit.  I won’t take my guitars out of the house in a soft case (with the exception of my 12 string as haven’t found a hard case it fits in well yet) as you just don’t know what might happen on your travels.  It’s all too easy to slip, trip or bash your guitar on a door frame or something. 
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for all the advice.
    A little more information.
    The "LP" I am thinking of taking to lessons is not a Gibson but a cheap copy, a Hohner, (although it plays well & I like it) & the Hiscox (in fact any hard case) costs considerably more than what I paid for the guitar.
    I am not 100% sure whether I am going to take that or one of my superstrats but I already have a hard case for the superstrats so thought I would get an LP shaped one as well.
    The studio of the teacher is about 15 minutes away in my car so risks of damage should be pretty small on this short weekly trip.
    If I had a Gibson, Tokai, Yamaha etc LP then a £100 or dearer case would not be an issue but in the circumstances it seems a bit overkill for this guitar.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Ok - budget end you’d be ok with this if buying new:

https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomanneguitarcase_lpstyle.htm?utm_source=shopzillaPLA&utm_medium=psm&utm_campaign=shopzillagb&offid=1&affid=229&subid=shopzillagb

But a used hiscox will only cost you another tenner...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • XcoreXcore Frets: 2
    A second hand hiscox case will retain a fair amount of its value if you sell it on, or if you upgrade to a more expencive lp in the future you’ve already got the protection it needs in place?!