R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Adamski said:
    The light isn't great so you'll have to wait until the weekend for the real glamour shoot but here she is......

£2499. Unbelievable. I am in amazement at how it plays. I've had a troubled past with Lesters, either getting some that were the right playability (I like specifically the '59 shape) but too heavy or not right at all, or too modern sounding or perfect in every way other than the finish.... but finally, finally i can say I've got my perfect Les Paul. 

I think this one's a keeper. 
    That's cheating! How is that not an R9!

That's amazing dude, you must be chuffed to bits
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stop tempting me! I've said that if I get a job sorted I'm tempted to go for it. Especially reading that a guy was able to px guitars in for one.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Think I’ve got problem, thinking about getting another 58 at this price which would make 3! Am I nuts? Maybe keep them all for 6 months the sell 1 or 2 of them and keep my favourite 
  • lp59boy said:
    Think I’ve got problem, thinking about getting another 58 at this price which would make 3! Am I nuts? Maybe keep them all for 6 months the sell 1 or 2 of them and keep my favourite 
    Don't think 6 months is going to be long enough to stabilise the market. I reckon at least a couple of years. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Surely as soon as you can no longer buy one new for less than 3500 and as long as there isn't a glut of used ones on the trading sites, the price will sort itself out?   
  • You could be right but I think once all these have gone the price could correct itself, saw that GG has a lemon 58 vos in same serial number batch 87266 up for £4299 so they are already asking normal money for a 2017 guitar. I think now it will all be washed cherry and all other finishes are over and resume original prices
    lp59boy said:
    Think I’ve got problem, thinking about getting another 58 at this price which would make 3! Am I nuts? Maybe keep them all for 6 months the sell 1 or 2 of them and keep my favourite 
    Don't think 6 months is going to be long enough to stabilise the market. I reckon at least a couple of years. 
    lp59boy said:
    Don't think 6 months is going to be long enough to stabilise the market. I reckon at least a couple of years
  • DrJazzTap said:
    Stop tempting me! I've said that if I get a job sorted I'm tempted to go for it. Especially reading that a guy was able to px guitars in for one.
    Surprised it’s still there as the last one sold as soon as I posted it

Bet it’s sold by 10am 
  • I’d want a pic of the top before considering 
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Wonder why washed cherries are still hanging around. I think they look ace !
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2018
    I don’t think they are hanging around as such, more like being returned.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Adamski said:
    The light isn't great so you'll have to wait until the weekend for the real glamour shoot but here she is......

£2499. Unbelievable. I am in amazement at how it plays. I've had a troubled past with Lesters, either getting some that were the right playability (I like specifically the '59 shape) but too heavy or not right at all, or too modern sounding or perfect in every way other than the finish.... but finally, finally i can say I've got my perfect Les Paul. 

I think this one's a keeper. 
    That's gorgeous!

Love to see a bit of flame on a Les Paul and you have hit the jackpot with that one. 
  • Worrying to think a guitar that is such a bargain is being returned though; that would put me off....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited September 2018
    it might not be a bad thing - could have been an impulse purchase followed by buyer regret.

However...

I ordered two R9s and returned one.  Although the maple top on it looked fabulous, the one I returned felt a bit rough around the edges, had a more boxy neck shape and didn't ring out well on the top strings.  There's no way I would have considered keeping it, unlike the one I am keeping which is superior in every way.

As always, Gibsons vary a lot from guitar to guitar.  I've found that more of the Custom Shop range these days can be good, more than days of old, but there are still some very average examples out there.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2948
    SteveF said:
    Surely as soon as you can no longer buy one new for less than 3500 and as long as there isn't a glut of used ones on the trading sites, the price will sort itself out?   
    Well, the retail price will sort itself out, but if you're looking at the used market, you've got to factor in demand. Currently, there are c.300 fewer people who might be tempted by a nice looking, good playing used R8. Couple that with a likely slight increase in the number being offered for sale, and it might take a while for used prices to stabilise to pre-clearence values.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Twinfan said:

I ordered two R9s and returned one.  Although the maple top on it looked fabulous, the one I returned felt a bit rough around the edges, had a more boxy neck shape and didn't ring out well on the top strings.  There's no way I would have considered keeping it, unlike the one I am keeping which is superior in every way.

And funnily enough, although it seems a bit crazy to order two R9s, doing so enabled you to make a very clear comparison and be sure that the one you kept was a good one.
    Exactly.  I also had my awesome R8 to compare it to and other assorted wood and string combinations  ;)
  • Mine is ringing on the G string. Was there a quick fix for this?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Mine is ringing on the G string. Was there a quick fix for this?
    is this on an open string or when fretted - if fretted where abouts on the fingerboard
    Depends what the problem is.  You could try raising the action a bit in case it's rattling on the frets.